User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't decided yet. Wife is working so it'll just be me, but don't know if I'll need to be home Sunday or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gonna be in town all weekend, or just down for the day?
Haven't decided yet. Wife is working so it'll just be me, but don't know if I'll need to be home Sunday or not.
If you come to Des Moines for the night, let me know. We'll meet up for sure. Maybe shoot Sunday before you head back?

I still haven't shot that 30-30.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
DOE SMG and M16 shorty will be there.  XM177 might make an appearance too.  Anybody interested in taking them for a test drive should bring some 9MM and 5.56MM.  Steel cased works just fine.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DOE SMG and M16 shorty will be there.  XM177 might make an appearance too.  Anybody interested in taking them for a test drive should bring some 9MM and 5.56MM.  Steel cased works just fine.  
View Quote
I've never shot a full auto AR. That would really be a treat
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably going to bring either an M1 or my JRA BM59.

ETA-if there's gonna be a full auto lower there would it be possible to put my .450 Bushmaster upper on it for a bit?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've never shot a full auto AR. That would really be a treat
View Quote
Pretty sure we can fix that!  
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA-if there's gonna be a full auto lower there would it be possible to put my .450 Bushmaster upper on it for a bit?
View Quote
I'm sure we can facilitate that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BM59 has a bit of special significance to IA. When I ordered it I was hoping for a cool serial number. By luck of the draw, the rifle next on top of the pile when I ordered was serial number 1133.

I never got deployed but when I was in the Guard, that was my unit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The BM59 has a bit of special significance to IA. When I ordered it I was hoping for a cool serial number. By luck of the draw, the rifle next on top of the pile when I ordered was serial number 1133.

I never got deployed but when I was in the Guard, that was my unit.
View Quote
Very cool.  I've never handled a BM59.  Always thought they were pretty sweet.  Looking forward to seeing it if you are able to bring it with you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Just saw this update. I would love to join up, would be coming from the Iowa City area. Could bring some fun toys! Nothing full auto though stuff like SVD/Tigr, 601 clone, rpk74, T2 AK, suppressed mk18 or MK12.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just saw this update. I would love to join up, would be coming from the Iowa City area. Could bring some fun toys! Nothing full auto though stuff like SVD/Tigr, 601 clone, rpk74, T2 AK, suppressed mk18 or MK12.
View Quote
You and I could have a nice retro show and tell
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You and I could have a nice retro show and tell
View Quote
Hell yeah. Sounds like a blast.

I’ve never been to one of these get togethers. What is the address of where it’s being hosted?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Any of you guys want to help a fellow American out?  I have a stock 1911A1 that needs to be shot.  Anybody that wants in on this gig just bring some .45 ACP and you are welcome to put as many rounds down range as you would like.  Again, steel cased is OK.  I'd like to see how it functions with that.  You get it dirty-I'll clean it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any of you guys want to help a fellow American out?  I have a stock 1911A1 that needs to be shot.  Anybody that wants in on this gig just bring some .45 ACP and you are welcome to put as many rounds down range as you would like.  Again, steel cased is OK.  I'd like to see how it functions with that.  You get it dirty-I'll clean it.
View Quote
I'll never turn down a chance to shoot a 1911.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Shoot, been on the forum for years but just starting to pay attention to the IA forum. I'm getting married in 3 days and June 29 is the day we'll get back from the honeymoon. It'll take some crazy convincing the new wifey to be able to make it. Sounds like lots of fun with some cool and unique toys that will be there! We'll see what I can do. I'd love to meet everyone!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shoot, been on the forum for years but just starting to pay attention to the IA forum. I'm getting married in 3 days and June 29 is the day we'll get back from the honeymoon. It'll take some crazy convincing the new wifey to be able to make it. Sounds like lots of fun with some cool and unique toys that will be there! We'll see what I can do. I'd love to meet everyone!
View Quote
Congrats on the wedding!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Congrats on the wedding!
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
bring her.  there have been wives and girlfriends and some random daughter, most of which were strongarm's here in the past...
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
start time 10AM.

end time  4PM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

bring her.  there have been wives and girlfriends and some random daughter, most of which were strongarm's here in the past...
View Quote
Random daughter #2 and her significant other may make an appearance.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#21]
If he's interested, would it be OK if I drag my brother in law along? Not sure if he'd be able to come but I think he'd have fun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#23]
i have two weber 22" kettles and ceramic egg smoker.  i can have charcoal ready for both, so if something needs cooked we'll need to coordinate that a bit.

what needs are there for that beyond quick stuff like burgers or brats?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]
It would also be advantageous if somebody could bring a large tarp or several small tarps.  These really help to facilitate clean up after a shoot.  There will be a wheeled magnet available for any steel cased stuff.

We are gonna try and have at least one of the BMG's there and available to shoot.  If you want to shoot one you will need to bring some 8MM ammo.  Romanian or Yugo surplus is preferable.  The African stuff that has made it's way to the US recently is NOT acceptable.  Way too many hang fires with this stuff.  We should be able to link it for you if that needs to be done.

Looking forward to seeing everybody Saturday.  You too Booger.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I can supply my wife's baked beans. I believe a couple years ago the leftovers made quite the mess on Septics deck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can supply my wife's baked beans. I believe a couple years ago the leftovers made quite the mess on Septics deck.
View Quote
I may or may not have fed some of those to Recon just before I departed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Recon was Septics dog, I do believe he got well fed on the beans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep!  He does really well on a high fiber diet.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes...  ugh.  his digestive system did fine on them, but the smells were far worse than usual, if you can imagine that at all...  lol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#31]
OK guys, change of plans for the 1917 BMG.  I posted earlier that it might be available to shoot, just bring some 8MM ammo.  Septic and I have discussed this and decided that it will be safer and more prudent to make the gun available as a rental.  This way we will be using known source ammo.  Some parts for this gun are getting close to 100 years old.  They are getting scarce and some are not even available anymore.  If something breaks it has to be replaced and the rental scenario is the only sensible way to do this.  If anybody wants to shoot this gun it will be on a rental basis.  I don't want to run afoul of any rules here about advertising prices.  Just know that it will be comparable to past events.  Sorry for any inconvenience.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#33]
i have some AR500 steel slung from conveyor belting on the other side of the pond @100yards.  they need to be lifted up, as they are laid over at the moment.  there is one that is a 24"x24" with an inside round 8" dinger that needs to be take over there as well.  someone can hop on my atv with a buddy and drag that one over there saturday morning to set up.

i have three or four really great welded target stand bases made from galvanized goodies. BUT, no 1X wood stock or cardboard for them.  ...used it all up.  if someone wants to bring that "1 bys" and cardboard backers for your targets, that stuff works like a dream.

that's the kind of thing the helpers can do on saturday morning real quick and i doubt that'll take but just a few moments.

we'll have a couple guys get on each corner of some pop up canopies and make it work that morning also.

looking forward to saturday...
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i have some AR500 steel slung from conveyor belting on the other side of the pond @100yards.  they need to be lifted up, as they are laid over at the moment.  there is one that is a 24"x24" with an inside round 8" dinger that needs to be take over there as well.  someone can hop on my atv with a buddy and drag that one over there saturday morning to set up.

i have three or four really great welded target stand bases made from galvanized goodies. BUT, no 1X wood stock or cardboard for them.  ...used it all up.  if someone wants to bring that "1 bys" and cardboard backers for your targets, that stuff works like a dream.

that's the kind of thing the helpers can do on saturday morning real quick and i doubt that'll take but just a few moments.

we'll have a couple guys get on each corner of some pop up canopies and make it work that morning also.

looking forward to saturday...
View Quote
I can see about getting some 2X2 foot cardboard squares at work. Dividers from between the layers of meat we get in, I shoot lots of them. Both .45-70s will be coming(rifle and handgun) and my BM59.
ETA-found out our meat packaging changed, we don't get the dividers anymore.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a feeling that Kalahnikid and I won't be making it. Can someone else bring chips and condiments?

He's currently asleep, trying to kill whatever illness has hit him. Chest cold or sinus infection, something along those lines.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Everyone be safe, and stay hydrated today!

Have fun! Wish I was out there sweating my ass off with you guys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Had a great time as always! Nice to see people from last time and to meet new people.

Plenty of fun stuff to see and shoot. Great conversation and food. It's events like this that keep people involved in the hobby and around like minded individuals. It's also a chance to get real world experience with firearms and accessories that you may be on the fence about.

Thank you to Septic and his family for allow us to congregate at his homestead again and for the great hospitality.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Great day, well worth the drive.

ETA-and it looks like we even recruited a couple new members. Looking forward to them joining.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a feeling that Kalahnikid and I won't be making it. Can someone else bring chips and condiments?

He's currently asleep, trying to kill whatever illness has hit him. Chest cold or sinus infection, something along those lines.
View Quote
Really sorry you guys couldn't make it.  Hope Kalahnikid gets well and you don't catch it.  Pretty sure he could have sweat that bug out today!

Another successful gathering.  Great food, great people.  Thanks to all of you that made the scene.  Even with the heat you all pitched in made it happen.  Thanks again for being a great group of people that are fun to spend a hot day with, shooting, eating and conversing.  Now that I've sat in the A/C for a while and consumed an appropriate quantity of cold adult beverages...........when's the next one?
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Really sorry you guys couldn't make it.  Hope Kalahnikid gets well and you don't catch it.  Pretty sure he could have sweat that bug out today!

Another successful gathering.  Great food, great people.  Thanks to all of you that made the scene.  Even with the heat you all pitched in made it happen.  Thanks again for being a great group of people that are fun to spend a hot day with, shooting, eating and conversing.  Now that I've sat in the A/C for a while and consumed an appropriate quantity of cold adult beverages...........when's the next one?
View Quote
Wouldn't be able to shoot there but there's a park up my way near Elma that would be great for a cookout. We have a nice range on the edge of Cresco too, but I'd have to talk to the county about the chance of taking it for an event. More than willing to look into it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm just waiting for the pics of what I missed out on.

Shack357 sent me a video of him with his upper on a full auto lower.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I too want to thank Septic for hosting this get-together again, and everyone else that was involved. It was a great time. I apologize I had to leave early and could not help in the clean up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#43]
good times.  much fun.  it's easy to get these things together and make them work when everyone is so great about pitching in.  many thanks all!

talked to shack about his cooler, but there are a couple of bag chairs here yet.  a green and yellow one i think, and maybe a 2nd one if i remember right.

the grub was good too.  ...didn't even spill the beans.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#44]
By the way, .450 Bushmaster on FA is impressive to say the least.  I think I got a couple of loose fillings just watching that thing run.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
By the way, .450 Bushmaster on FA is impressive to say the least.  I think I got a couple of loose fillings just watching that thing run.  
View Quote
Surprisingly controllable though. Hope to have a. 50 Beowulf next time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Surprisingly controllable though. Hope to have a. 50 Beowulf next time.
View Quote
Had a unit sitting in the shop ready to go. You should have said you wanted to do that...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Had a great time as always! Nice to see people from last time and to meet new people.

Plenty of fun stuff to see and shoot. Great conversation and food. It's events like this that keep people involved in the hobby and around like minded individuals. It's also a chance to get real world experience with firearms and accessories that you may be on the fence about.

Thank you to Septic and his family for allow us to congregate at his homestead again and for the great hospitality.
View Quote
+1

My son and I had a great time and appreciated meeting up with both new and familiar faces.  My son managed to catch a few nice fish from Michael's pond and shot a machine gun for the first time .  Many thanks go out to Michael & Jenny for hosting, Strongarm66 for being very generous with some really nice machine guns & to everyone who contributed to make the event a great time.

Those of you on the fence about whether or not to attend one of these events, you really should.  You are missing out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
October/early November would be a good time in the future to have cooler weather for another get-together.  
View Quote
as long as it's not snowing yet
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top