Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2023 3:57:47 PM EDT
I'm up here for work, and have thoroughly enjoyed your city.

I've been in Vegas for 15 years and have had about enough of the new Californians and general crappiness. I have been looking at property in ID, but it's all just a bit too remote. I need to be near an airport, and enjoy the trappings of a medium sized city.

Where should a fella look for good areas to live?  Requirements are:

45 min or less to SLC airport
rural
.5 acre or better
Decent schools
~$600,000 range

The locals here warn me about the air quality, but having spent the last decade in Vegas I'm really not too concerned. Crime? Ha, also not concerned.
If the drag show downtown is the worst of the liberal disorder, I'll be just fine with that too. I know lots of LDS folks and we get on fine as well.

A local said Tooele might fit the bill, but a very cursory look says the schools aren't great. If they aren't full of roving gangs like the Vegas schools though, how bad could it be? I hear there's an FFA program too which is appealing. Is the bad politics of SLC pervasive all over the state, or more of a one bad city sort of thing?

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt you can find anything on a half acre or more under $600k within 45 minutes of the SLC airport.  Provo has commercial air service and you just might find that 45 minutes south of there.

You might want to look at Idaho Falls if wanting some land.  It seems rare to get a lot larger than .20 of an acre in northern Utah.  Most half acre or larger places are a $million +.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Grantsville or Stansbury Park would hit the 45 minute mark.  You MIGHT be able to find that much space for that price, but not likely.  Not sure what the schools are like in either place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
I seriously doubt you can find anything on a half acre or more under $600k within 45 minutes of the SLC airport.  Provo has commercial air service and you just might find that 45 minutes south of there.

You might want to look at Idaho Falls if wanting some land.  It seems rare to get a lot larger than .20 of an acre in northern Utah.  Most half acre or larger places are a $million +.
View Quote

I found a 4,000 sqft place on .48 in Tooele in the deer hollow community for $600k. Been on the market 200 days. 40 min to downtown SLC. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Darcy:

I found a 4,000 sqft place on .48 in Tooele in the deer hollow community for $600k. Been on the market 200 days. 40 min to downtown SLC. What am I missing?
View Quote

Prices are falling, You can find what you are looking for at that price. Tooele is a nice little town.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t live in tooele but I know some that do and they like it.

That and grantsville.

They do say the commute can get bad if you are headed to slc and home during peak times.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MDI:
I don't live in tooele but I know some that do and they like it.

That and grantsville.

They do say the commute can get bad if you are headed to slc and home during peak times.  

View Quote
I have several coworkers in clinic who commute from Stansbury/Grantsville/Tooele. Generally, it's not too bad. But if there's a crash on I-80 at just the right place, there's no other way into the Salt Lake valley from the west. You'll be waiting.

And if you go to Tooele, ask a local how to pronounce it. Otherwise, you'll immediately be outed as a carpetbagger and be just about as welcome as Hillary Clinton.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top