Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2021 5:23:29 PM EDT
My mother lives in Volusia county. Her insurance was $1200 a year. Allstate sent her a cancellation notice because her roof was over 10 years old. They said put on a new roof or we will cancel you. She had a new roof put on her house and today they came back with her renewal rate of $3600 a year. So she spent a fortune on a new roof and they still tripled her insurance. She has never had a claim. She has a small one story two bedroom block house.

She started calling other insurance companies to get quotes but they are all saying that she needs a four-point inspection, which she has to pay for, and a credit check, before they will even give her a quote.

Any suggestions, recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Did she receive a cancellation notice before the roof was completed? If so, a gap in insurance would cause that, although they usually give you a 30-day grace period.

The insurance companies are being a pain right now with it being hurricane season and "all the new sales."
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Complain to the roofing companies and trial attorneys who have been colluding on the free roof hustle for the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have her reach out fl farm bureau for a quote.  Costs me less than 900 a year for 350k coverage in west alachua county.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
What type of roof? Angles? Get a wind mitigation report.  My mom's insurance jumped 2K until she got the roof report done & went down 1K.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What type of roof? Angles? Get a wind mitigation report.  My mom's insurance jumped 2K until she got the roof report done & went down 1K.
View Quote

Gable roof. I will tell her to look into the wind mitigation report. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did she receive a cancellation notice before the roof was completed? If so, a gap in insurance would cause that, although they usually give you a 30-day grace period.

The insurance companies are being a pain right now with it being hurricane season and "all the new sales."
View Quote

No. They sent her the cancellation notice, she called them and they told her to get a new roof. She got a new roof before the deadline and told them. They sent her the new estimate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Complain to the roofing companies and trial attorneys who have been colluding on the free roof hustle for the past 10 years.
View Quote

Yeah, same thing with car insurance. Every billboard in trashy areas is talking about how much money the victim "won" from the other party. I wish the legislature Would address that but they are all lawyers to so...
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have her reach out fl farm bureau for a quote.  Costs me less than 900 a year for 350k coverage in west alachua county.
View Quote

I gave her the info. Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top