Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2019 1:16:12 AM EDT
Greetings,

Heading over that way in the near future.  Trying to make the most of it for my family (boys ages 8-15) with the three days we'll be out there.

Questions for you locals in the Hils/Rapid Areal?
-Is the Ellsworth AFB worth the stop?
-Mammoth/dinosaur fossil dig worth the stop?
-Is the road coming south/south west out of the badlands through to see Wounded Knee Memorial worth the stop (i.e. scenic) My boys like Native / Old West History, but on other vacations haven't felt the most welcome in some areas.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Start Here

Take a look over that previous thread and see if it answers your questions. If not let us know what specifically we need to cover for you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Great start above.

You won't see much at Ellsworth. It is an active Air Force Base; without ID you won't get past the gate. I guess they do have the South Dakota Air & Space Museum, but that hardly ever comes up in recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't step foot on Pine Ridge even if I had an armed convoy, but that's just me...
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't step foot on Pine Ridge even if I had an armed convoy, but that's just me...
View Quote
It's worth passing through. I wouldn't stop though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I third this advice.  The Air & Space Museum is cool but smaller children and wives will probably be bored.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Wall Drug is a tourist trap but their photo collection is amazing. Honestly, it's worth stopping to check out.

They also have an incredible collection of Western art.

I stay off the Rez.

Wild Horse Ranch south of Hot Springs is very cool.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help.  Good start.  Sorry I missed the first thread.

I like planes so might convince the wife to stop at the air and space museum.  She enjoyed the one in Fargo so she might be pleasantly suprised in SD.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I third this advice.  The Air & Space Museum is cool but smaller children and wives will probably be bored.
View Quote
4th concurrence... different worlds. Also being a white boy down there is not a good distinction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top