Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2022 12:34:57 PM EDT
Good Morning,

I am an AZ resident and My SO is a CO resident and she has an opportunity to take a job with her company in Springfield MO.  I work from home and can live anywhere.  I am pretty much done with AZ and kind of bored, I have run every trail, seen most of the state and it may be a time for a change.  

Looked at housing on Zillow and pretty nice prices compared to the insanity here.  So, no problems there.  I live in Prescott Valley which is a pretty nice area of the state.

On to the questions.  Am I crazy for looking at moving to MO?
How are the gun laws?
NFA items ok?
Lots of places to go explore and camp?
With Arkansas right next door, do I have to squeal like a pig?

Give me some insight to the state and positives and negatives.

Also, anyone wanna trade houses?  Anyone looking to move to Arizona?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Is traffic really that bad in Springfield?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckGodot:
View Quote

Springfield traffic is comparable to cities much larger than Springfield. Everytime I go through I get the feeling this large city grew up around little roads that somebody forgot to make bigger.

Lots of good places to live around Springfield. No need to live in the city if you want to avoid congestion.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
We’re a bunch of rape loving hillbillies.
Always happy to welcome some new vic.. er… guests!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
well, ok then, Rape is on the menu lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#7]
Good Morning,

I am an AZ resident and My SO is a CO resident and she has an opportunity to take a job with her company in Springfield MO.  I work from home and can live anywhere.  I am pretty much done with AZ and kind of bored, I have run every trail, seen most of the state and it may be a time for a change.  

Looked at housing on Zillow and pretty nice prices compared to the insanity here.  So, no problems there.  I live in Prescott Valley which is a pretty nice area of the state.

View Quote
I spent about 15 years in Springfield.  Move there in 97, stayed until I moved to Los Angeles in '01.  Moved back to Springfield in '05 and lived there until 2015.  I now live at the Lake of the Ozarks, about an hour north of Springfield (I grew up at the Lake).

It's a really nice place to live.  4 seasons, conservative ethos (aside from the cities...St Louis, Kansas City, Columbia, Jefferson City...Springfield to a degree).  My wife travelled all over the country in her youth, and she has stated there's no other place she'd rather live (I assume that excludes places with beaches...).  I've only lived here and the west coast, but I like it here too.  Living in SoCal, and riding dirtbikes in the desert so much, I forgot how much I missed the greenery.  It really hit me on a flight in for a holiday one year.

How are the gun laws?
View Quote
Strong gun culture and "country" feel outside of the cities.  NFA is allowed, local LEO is usually good to sign off, trusts are allowed.  Have even had some places pass "screw you feds" gun regs, but none of them have been tested.

NFA items ok?
View Quote
Yup.
Lots of places to go explore and camp?
View Quote
Yes.  Several lakes, lots of "small" rivers and streams for floating and camping, large national forests, lots of nature trails and such.  Tom Sauk reservoir is neat, elephant rocks, HaHa Tonka State park (in my neck of the woods), etc.  Lots of "outdoorsy" options.  Oh, and lots of boat/fishing options if you're into that.

If you're looking at Springfield work, I'd strongly consider purchasing a home in Nixa, Ozark, Republic, or even Rogersville.  Fair Grove north of town is nice as well but it's more of a small town/village.  The ones listed above are all fully developed and stand-alone on their own.  They all provide easy / close access to the benefits of Springfield without being inside Springfield.  Springfield itself has become a bit rougher since I left.  The surrounding bedroom communities are all still nice "don't have to lock your door" communities, generally.

North Springfield is poorer/rougher, southwest Springfield is blue collar, east/southeast springfield has nice houses/acreage.  West side of Springfield merges into Republic.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
It's all a matter of perspective.  When I moved back to MO from CA, I laughed at the idea of "traffic".  Now when I go visit Springfield I say "thank goodness I don't have to deal with all this traffic".  ;)

I always considered Springfield to be an "overgrown town" ,vs a "small city", if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
It's all a matter of perspective.  When I moved back to MO from CA, I laughed at the idea of "traffic".  Now when I go visit Springfield I say "thank goodness I don't have to deal with all this traffic".  ;)

I always considered Springfield to be an "overgrown town" ,vs a "small city", if that makes sense.
View Quote

Overgrown town, I like that. Springfield always seemed rough to me but I’m from south of Joplin so anything is big and scary. Traffic can be bad but still not big city bad.

I have family in freemont hills by ozark and that seems like a really nice area.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I really don't have much info about Springfield to share, but MO is fantastic for exploring the outdoors.  Get yourself a nice kayak and enjoy some of the best rivers in the US.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info all.  I may be heading out that way soon to look at houses.  Found a lot that are really nice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

It's super nice when compared to the Phoenix valley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top