Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2021 1:03:06 PM EDT
A relative is considering a move to the Hattiesburg area.  They are "relatively" high income earners and are looking for info on what part of town to look at and other general information on the Hattiesburg area.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I love that area.  Especially out towards Columbia.  If I can persuade the wife to leave the coast when we retire, it will be either Columbia or Wiggins.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Kids involved?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Seminary is where I would live if I had to live near Hattiesburg. Close enough to make trips back and forth but away from the hustle and bustle and the riff raff.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Soon to be newlyweds - no kids for the next 5 years I'd guess.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By davis9588:
I love that area.  Especially out towards Columbia.  If I can persuade the wife to leave the coast when we retire, it will be either Columbia or Wiggins.
View Quote
Wiggins is definitely nice. Small and full of rednecks, but far enough away from the coasties

My brother just sold his house in orange grove to build a homestead in stone county
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SWMP15AOP:
Soon to be newlyweds - no kids for the next 5 years I'd guess.
View Quote

I would stay out of the city, parts can be a little vibrant. I have a friend that lives in Orange Grove and likes it.  Look in Lamar County.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Their interest seems to be west of town in Cane Break and surrounding areas.  I saw some spots further out in Lamar County, but there are not a lot of homes for sale (that's a problem everywhere).  Is there a go-to realtor in the area?  I assume there is a MLS service in the area - how do I access that?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Canebrake, Timberton, Oak Grove areas...  Plenty of other pockets
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Move is now definite.  Things have been quiet here, any more info out there?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
PM me and I can tell you just about anything you wanna know about the area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Boy, Hometown MS is quiet.  So, my son will be moving to the Hattiesburg area.  He has little experience hunting and fishing but will probably pick it up in MS.  He (and I) would love a hog hunt and the whole gang would love some good fishing.  What does the area have to offer?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Boy, Hometown MS is quiet.  So, my son will be moving to the Hattiesburg area.  He has little experience hunting and fishing but will probably pick it up in MS.  He (and I) would love a hog hunt and the whole gang would love some good fishing.  What does the area have to offer?
View Quote

Decent food. Try Robert St. John's collection of restaurants in Hattiesburg. The zoo in Hattiesburg is small but well kept. Do a tour of Southern Prohibition if you are into beer making. The museum at Camp Shelby is fantastic but remember no guns on base.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info!  Camp Shelby looks pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Shop in any of the subdivisions off of hwy 98 west. We live in 1 off of King Road, quiet with great neighbors. Real estate in Hattiesburg is booming right now, so don’t be sticker-shocked when looking!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the information.  I'll probably make a trip with him to scout the area.  He's getting married in a week, so there's a lot going on right now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I would look into Sumeral or Purvis. Not that much for sale in Columbia. My brother just got done looking.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info.  He's working with a realtor and we'll make a trip before long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Hattiesburg has gone WAY downhill over the last twenty odd years. I watched it grow all my life, then turn slowly into a little Jackson in a lot of areas, and the cancer is spreading.

I love my hometown, but there's no way I'd live in the city limits now.

Macedonia, Sunrise, Richton, Dixie and some of the smaller communities out west are much better options.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info!  Camp Shelby looks pretty interesting.
View Quote

The Mississippi Armed Forces Museum has a fantastic collection, and nearly every artifact has a connection to a citizen of Mississippi.

I used to volunteer there back when I worked there, when it was Mobilization Center Shelby, and later, Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center.

I worked in Bldg 3100, with Special Staff, and was the Public Affairs NCOIC for my last few years there. Best job and best place to work I ever had.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

The DeSoto National Forest is huge, and teeming with game. There's lakes, ponds and rivers galore where you can fish to your hearts content. Unlike here in Texas, you don't have to pay for every breath of air you take, or for the privilege of hunting in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:10:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bulletandgrunt] [#21]
Originally Posted By AKengineer:

Decent food. Try Robert St. John's collection of restaurants in Hattiesburg. The zoo in Hattiesburg is small but well kept. Do a tour of Southern Prohibition if you are into beer making. The museum at Camp Shelby is fantastic but remember no guns on base.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKengineer:

Personally owned firearms are allowed on Shelby now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bulletandgrunt:

View Quote

That only applies to .mil there on orders or also to civilians visiting the museum?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Look in the Sumrall area.  My BIL just moved to Sumrall from Corpus, and there were several really NICE homes around the new one he just purchased.  Expect to pay over the listing price.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

That only applies to .mil there on orders or also to civilians visiting the museum?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bulletandgrunt:

Applies to everyone. If they find a gun on a random vehicle search that I haven’t t seen or heard of them doing for a long time, it’s a non-issue. We had a POS adjutant general who was a closeted anti gun person.

Sorry for the long time response.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#25]
We just live a little slower down here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#26]
We just live a little slower down here.
View Quote

Where the Peep vomit flows…
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Wife’s niece and her husband live in the Bellegrass subdivision of of 98 west. Nice neighborhood with a few courts, play field and swimming pool. Houses are cute but really close together.  It seems like a golf cart neighborhood and fairly quiet the few times I’ve visited them. I think the Sumrall area is also nice if you can find something. Seems like quite a few people moving in to my area(25 miles north of Hattiesburg) from pretty far away so we must have something going for us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Oak grove, west Hattiesburg, sumrall, Bellevue. Are decent areas. Oak grove is a pretty decent school. Just look for houses outside the subdivisions in my opinion. HOAs are cancer. I lived in a subdivision in oak grove for a few years. Moved to rural Pearl river county a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#29]
My Brother in Law purchased a newly built home in Sumrall, really nice on 3 acres. Lived there 4 months and had to move due to wife's illness.  It sold for above asking price in 24 hours.  Sumrall is pretty popping right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top