Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2022 10:37:35 AM EDT
Does anyone here own or operate one in the state of Ohio?
We have a commercial property that I would consider turning into a little indoor range if the licensing and permitting isn't a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Do not own a range, but insurance and lead dust control (ventilation) might be yer 2 largest obstacles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a local indoor range and get a part-time job there. Being on the "inside", maybe you can glean pertinent information.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Worked for a company that offered indoor range solutions.

Osha (lead contamination), zoning and insurance would be my biggest concerns.

Most ranges were moving to rubber type bullet stops to help with lead splatter and many had to start testing employees for lead exposure routinely.

OSHA would test various surfaces at the range and take employee blood samples and if you were over allowed limits fine / shut down the range till they fixed it. Only took one salty x employee to cause a world of issues.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone here own or operate one in the state of Ohio?
We have a commercial property that I would consider turning into a little indoor range if the licensing and permitting isn't a PITA.
View Quote

@ScaryGary I’d turn it into a private outdoors range if I was you.  I feel like I get muzzled  almost every time I’ve got to an indoor range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to give you an idea of range maintenance costs. The range that the state has in Columbus at the OSHP academy is second only to the patrols aviation section when it comes to money needed for upkeep and compliance on a yearly basis. This info was learned when my agency was researching a new indoor range remodeling job. We ended up with an outdoor range instead.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The lead control and type of backstop are your biggest expense in building it. Insurance and EPA regulation and compliance are what you worry about after it's built. I ran one for 4 years, it's doable but a full time PITA if you slide on upkeep. The solid backstop is the standard but the newer "fill" type backstops really help with lead control, I mean like 99%. Cleaning the traps is a bit of a struggle with these but its well worth it as its easier to maintain in the long run. And the inspections are cheaper (These we did twice a year) and you don't need to magnaflux any panels that suspect.

Also recovered bullets are easy to sell as scrap most are recovered whole. steel traps produce powder and chunks you have to shovel into a barrel (those weigh about 1800 pounds). Some granular traps can hold AP rounds, don't try that on steel. You will want an automated fire suppression system on the soft traps, their made of rubber after all.

Any questions let me know.

Jim
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top