Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2022 5:36:00 PM EDT
My daughter’s 2002 Malibu won’t shift into 4th gear/overdrive. It seems like a common problem with the transmission in the 3.1 V6 cars…

I’ve done everything I can- changed fluid and filter, made sure it’s at the right level, etc.

Any recommendations for a side-work mechanic?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it’s not exactly helpful but Tex’s Transmission in Lawrencburg is good people. If you can make it to the Frankfort exit on 64 then just south a few miles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it’s not exactly helpful but Tex’s Transmission in Lawrencburg is good people. If you can make it to the Frankfort exit on 64 then just south a few miles.
View Quote

Thanks- that’s not too far away to consider- around here we only have Aamco and Mr Transmission rip-off joints.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Paid around $2400 to have my 01 f150 rebuilt at Holcomb’s Services and haven’t had any troubles in the 18 months since.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had great luck at Oschner's off Shelbyville; if they're still open, give them a call.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Not for hire but will try and help. Check engine light on? What codes of so? Did fluid smell burnt? Could be a torque converter clutch solenoid (essentially locks the halves of the torque converter together to give you 4th gear). If you're at all mechanically inclined, which it seems you are, this could be an easy fix.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not for hire but will try and help. Check engine light on? What codes of so? Did fluid smell burnt? Could be a torque converter clutch solenoid (essentially locks the halves of the torque converter together to give you 4th gear). If you're at all mechanically inclined, which it seems you are, this could be an easy fix.
View Quote

No check engine light/ no codes. Fluid did not smell bad.  

I looked online for the solenoids… but for this transmission it looks like 2 and 4 share a solenoid? So if 4 was out, so should 2 be, but 2nd works fine…?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Did ya have any luck?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discount Transmission was the best option with a rebuild for 2,450. He also was the only one who knew what he was talking about on these transmissions- fourth gear is not driven by the torque converter...

3 other shops were all 4 grand or more to swap in a rebuild\rebuild.

The car is only worth about 3 grand, though...
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
At the age of the vehicle, I would recommend sourcing a low mile unit and having a shop swap it in. Most of today's front wheel drive transmissions (and even many rear wheel) are not rebuilt, and are swapped as a unit. I would recommend taking to a Chevy dealer, pay for an hour diag, and have them pull, document, and print for you the diagnostic trouble codes from the Transmission control module (TCM). This will give you a place to start to see if a rebuild is even warranted. Number one sign of a toasted trans is burnt/ black fluid and vehicle won't pull it's own weight, neither of which seem to be evident in your case. The first guy was kind of right, 4th is still driven by the torque converter, what they mean is that the input and outputs are RPM matched under normal 4th gear operation, so to minimize parasitic loss from trying to move the output turbine with fluid thrown at it from the input impeller, the unit uses the torque converter clutch solenoid to divert transmission line pressure to the TCC and lock front and back halves together. Youtube yr/make/model torque converter clutch solenoid replacement. They're usually about $50, plus fresh fluid and gasket if your old tears on disassembly. Once all but 2 bolts out (loose not out, one on each corner on the side facing towards you) give the trans man a good swack with a rubber mallet/ dead blow. This should cause pan to break free from gasket, and end away from you will drop, allowing the trans fluid to dump. Finishing removing pan, (I usually go have dinner/ wait to next day if I can to let it drop dry so to not fight trans fluid all over me), then disconnect electrical connections at valve body, a few screws, a shift linkage, and should come right out. Swap solenoid, reverse procedure, put 3 qts trans fluid in (Dexron 6), and start, check fluid engine running in park. Drive around 15 min, recheck level and add if needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion, based on my last transmission rebuild, is to forget rebuilding it and instead simply do a swap with a junk yard transmission.  The Malibu is a very common car and a whole transmission from a yard will be dirt cheap.  The site https://car-part.com/ has most of the yards with their contents.  For $250 you can get a lower mile transmission.  Then any shop can do the swap or if you have the tools and know how could probably do it yourself as well.

When the transmissions went out on my truck I used a shop called Powers Transmission in the Lexington area.  They had a good reputation and good warranty.  They stood behind their work but I still ended up in the shop 3 times after they fixed it and the transmission will still slip some under heavy load.  After the fact I figured out I could have bought 3 used transmissions and paid to have them swapped out for the price of rebuild which was around $2,200.

A sealed transmission typically either works or doesn't.  Once the case is open is are a bunch of unknown problems that could be introduced.  If there are lower mileage used transmissions available I will never go the transmission rebuild route again.  A word of caution are car-part is they simply list what places offer, they don't verify the listings or rate the yards.  You will want to find some reviews on a yard before you deal with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top