Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 2:07:17 PM EDT
Need to file a report against an individual for $400.  Documentation, essentially, as I don't expect much to come from it.
Can I then take that person to small claims court as well?  I'm not familiar with either, so I'm not sure of protocol.  If I can, do I wait for some sort of "resolution" on the police report, or can I essentially file both the same day?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do either or both.

On the amount I would ask myself if the hours its going to take to get a judgement is worth the time and effort.

No guarantee your going to get paid still.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do either or both.

On the amount I would ask myself if the hours its going to take to get a judgement is worth the time and effort.

No guarantee your going to get paid still.
View Quote
I don't expect to get paid.  However, I feel the situation occurred as a result of an ongoing pattern of the person in question not being held accountable for their actions.  I guess it's a principle thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You can do both. My only concern would be both courts says that they are going to wait to see what the other court is going to decide. If there are $400 in damages, it would not be fair for both courts to issue $400 verdicts and you end up with $800.

The nice thing about a judgment in criminal court, is the court will collect all of the restitution money on your behalf and if the person does not pay on time they will get arrest warrants for failing to comply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top