Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2021 10:14:26 PM EDT
Hi Guys,

I have a question on my Illinois CCL. I live in Chicago, but I am down in LA and TX for work. Due to an issue in LA, I had to get a change my drivers license to a LA one. I still live in Chicago, but down here for work until the end of the year. Illinois CCL does not work in LA, but it does in TX. Due to not having a drivers license from Chicago, does that void my license? Even though my permanent residence is Chicago?

I have searched this, but there is nothing that really says specific information. Only thing I find is NON-residents are unable to obtain a license.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
   Firearms Services Bureau:
   800 South Seventh Suite 400 M
   Springfield, IL 62703
   Phone: 217-782-7980
   Email: [email protected]

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
When you get a non-IL drivers license, you will be revoked of FOID/CCL.  When you come back to IL for visit (provided you are legal to CC in Texas) it will only be CC while in your vehicle and, the gun has to be unloaded and enclosed in a case to leave vehicle unless on private property with permission.
I'd just stay in TX!!!!

We actually had a lawsuit to correct this but, the NRA bailed rather than appealing a bad court decision.

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you get a non-IL drivers license, you will be revoked of FOID/CCL.  When you come back to IL for visit (provided you are legal to CC in Texas) it will only be CC while in your vehicle and, the gun has to be unloaded and enclosed in a case to leave vehicle unless on private property with permission.
I'd just stay in TX!!!!

We actually had a lawsuit to correct this but, the NRA bailed rather than appealing a bad court decision.

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
View Quote

Hey OP - Mike is THE subject matter expert on this topic ...

But ...

Assuming you didn't physically relinquish your IL license ...

Assuming your DL and CCL are unexpired  ...

Perhaps you just use IL credentials when in IL until you renew them?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah. Had to relinquish my IL license. They said I had to.
Oh well. Just going to get my TX CCL and just try and move here permanently.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah. Had to relinquish my IL license. They said I had to.
Oh well. Just going to get my TX CCL and just try and move here permanently.
View Quote

THAT is the right answer
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But ...

View Quote

states routinely cross check DL with each other to find duplicates and such - if only they did that with voter rolls but I digress -

consider what happens when God forbid something bad happens and the police and county persecutor are looking in depth at the event
- hmmmmm d/l from another state
- hmmm  that makes the ccw permission slip void and now  we got ourselves felon unlawful use of weapons  .... shizam  

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
That is why I wanted to get the correct information. I am not carrying and will not be able to until I get my TX license. Bad thing is it will take me about 6 months before I can get my TX DL in order to apply for the TX CCL, but the good thing I am now in the process of moving out of Illinois. Will be permanent in TX by the end of the year. Already have a great job in TX and my place. Wife is finalizing somethings up in Illinois and will be done by Oct.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

states routinely cross check DL with each other to find duplicates and such - if only they did that with voter rolls but I digress -

consider what happens when God forbid something bad happens and the police and county persecutor are looking in depth at the event
- hmmm  that makes the ccw permission slip void and now  we got ourselves felon unlawful use of weapons  .... shizam  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But ...

Ah. Good tips. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Staying int TX. Applied for my Florida CCL which works in TX and I don't have to live in FL. Win Win
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top