Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 1:31:35 PM EDT
Of course I didn’t think this through earlier and I’m now finding conflicting information.

I need to pick up a new handgun and do the FFL transfer.

My VA license has an address that’s different from my current address (DMV has a record of my current address and my car is registered to my current address). My registration shows my current address but does bro physically match my license. My CHP shows a completely different address, as there is no requirement to get an updated card.

Am I screwed?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No, just put down the address that's on your license, only thing they look at
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that address has to match my secondary form. The issue is my Conceal carry license, car registration, etc. all have a different address.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No need for secondary id anymore.
View Quote
I thought that was the case. It’s been a while since I’ve purchased a handgun. The guy at the FFl told me two forms....

My old FFL closed down and this is the first time using this one.

Is there something I can show him to prove the one form rule?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I used a utility bill in the past.

Also, you can order a new license on the VA website with your current address.  You'll have it in your mailbox in a few days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, you can order a new license on the VA website with your current address.  You'll have it in your mailbox in a few days.
View Quote
I’m going to do this to avoid future situations. But they won’t accept the ID until 30 days after issue date. It’s pretty dumb but that is the rule.

Unfortunately all my utilities are under my current address. Va DMV used to mail you a change of address paper card to keep with your licence. They don’t do that anymore. So even though the DMV has my current address, without ordering a new card it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m going to do this to avoid future situations. But they won’t accept the ID until 30 days after issue date. It’s pretty dumb but that is the rule.

Unfortunately all my utilities are under my current address. Va DMV used to mail you a change of address paper card to keep with your licence. They don’t do that anymore. So even though the DMV has my current address, without ordering a new card it doesn’t matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "30 day rule" does not apply to address changes. You can get your change-of-address paper slip and use it the same day. What you CANNOT do is to tell the sales clerk that the address shown on your DL is your current address if it is not.  If you do that, then you have to put your old address on the 4473, when the 4473 asks for your current address. Making a false statement on the 4473 is a federal offense and will get you time in the house of do-right.

So just contact DMV and get your change-of-address card. It's easy, and will keep your ass out of trouble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The "30 day rule" does not apply to address changes. You can get your change-of-address paper slip and use it the same day. What you CANNOT do is to tell the sales clerk that the address shown on your DL is your current address if it is not.  If you do that, then you have to put your old address on the 4473, when the 4473 asks for your current address. Making a false statement on the 4473 is a federal offense and will get you time in the house of do-right.

So just contact DMV and get your change-of-address card. It's easy, and will keep your ass out of trouble.
View Quote
Yea, I would have told them my current address is different than what was shown. Not trying to commit a federal offense.

After doing the research and looking at VSP guidance, I’m thinking a second form is only needed for out of state purchases. I think the law changed in 2016 (HB 206), which is why I don’t remember this being an issue for the last few purchases.  The ID establishes Virginia residency and I think that is all that is now required (not a matching address). Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yea, I would have told them my current address is different than what was shown. Not trying to commit a federal offense.

After doing the research and looking at VSP guidance, I’m thinking a second form is only needed for out of state purchases. I think the law changed in 2016 (HB 206), which is why I don’t remember this being an issue for the last few purchases.  The ID establishes Virginia residency and I think that is all that is now required (not a matching address). Can anyone confirm this?
View Quote
When I have a customer hand me his DL prior to doing the paperwork, I always ask "Is this your current address?". If the customer tells me that the address shown on his license is not current, then I cannot make the sale until he comes up with the paperwork from DMV showing that he has filed a change of address. As I stated in my earlier post, there is no 30-day wait after filing a change of address form with DMV. But we have to have some sort of official document showing the customer's current address.
In addition, Virginia Code section 46.2-324 requires a holder of a Virginia DL to notify DMV within 30 days of any change of address.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea thanks for the info.

Address was changed immediately. The issue is that when I changed the address it notified me that they don’t send those little paper address cards anymore.

I ordered a new license with the revised address on it, so this issue doesn’t come up on future purchases. When you do that it counts as a new issue. With a new issue date, so the 30 day thing is still in effect I think.

For now I’ll just go to the dmv and ask them to print me something that shows the address was changed.

What a pain in the ass for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea thanks for the info.

Address was changed immediately. The issue is that when I changed the address it notified me that they don’t send those little paper address cards anymore.

I ordered a new license with the revised address on it, so this issue doesn’t come up on future purchases. When you do that it counts as a new issue. With a new issue date, so the 30 day thing is still in effect I think.

For now I’ll just go to the dmv and ask them to print me something that shows the address was changed.

What a pain in the ass for nothing.
View Quote
And registering to vote is far easier.
Let alone actually voting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
too add,

if you get a new license, and it says ORI or DUP, (original or duplicate) then you have to wait till the 31st day (30 days past)

if is says REI or REN (reissue or renew) the 30 day rule does not apply,
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if you don't order a new one, you can always print your change of address from DMV online.

That should be enough for the FFL, if they start asking any questions about your current address.

ETA: Yes, this is a service through their website. No need to go to local DMV.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ETA: Yes, this is a service through their website. No need to go to local DMV.
View Quote
They have actually gotten better and better at allowing online things to keep people out of the DMV offices.

A very long time ago every license plate in Virginia expired on the exact same day.

And they issued white letters on black or black letter on white in every other year.

DLs expired n years after issue on the last day of the month.
IIRC four years.

And renewals could ONLY be done at a DMV facility.  In person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top