Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2022 8:10:12 PM EDT
I know vehicle emissions testing for the TV will end in July of 23. I received a postcard from a https://idahovip.org/ with a return address of 2216 Cortland place, Nampa Idaho 83687 which is a building in a strip mall with no signage.

It's telling me I need to get my vehicle smogged otherwise I will have my registration revoked. My vehicle registration isn't due until July and I've never had to smog before my vehicle registration before.

WTF is going on? Are they trying to milk out an extra smog out of me before it goes away?

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some similar time frames, my understanding is you still have to test up to the date they end it.  Dumb, not sure I would expect anything different out of Boise.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some similar time frames, my understanding is you still have to test up to the date they end it.  Dumb, not sure I would expect anything different out of Boise.
View Quote

Well, we just found these notices in a pile of junk mail and it's WAY past the due date

Still it doesn't make sense to test so far in advance of registration being due.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
In my experience the smog test date and the registration date don't coincide. We just smogged the wife's car this month, her tags aren't due until next October. My truck has been on a similar schedule every two years.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s California for you
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know vehicle emissions testing for the TV will end in July of 23. I received a postcard from a https://idahovip.org/ with a return address of 2216 Cortland place, Nampa Idaho 83687 which is a building in a strip mall with no signage.

It's telling me I need to get my vehicle smogged otherwise I will have my registration revoked. My vehicle registration isn't due until July and I've never had to smog before my vehicle registration before.

WTF is going on? Are they trying to milk out an extra smog out of me before it goes away?

View Quote

Got the same thing. My vehicle reg expired yesterday. Unfortunately it’s not a scam.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
From the FAQ on the website...

https://idahovip.org/faq.html

"If you receive a notice to test between now and June 30, 2023, then your vehicle needs to be tested, regardless of the effective date of your registration.

Vehicles not compliant with the emissions testing deadlines will be subjected to having the registrations revoked."

Shit sandwich for 7 more months....then bye bye.

Our newer trucks were done this year. last year.

My Diesel and old Jeep weren't required to test.

Kinda cool having the freedom to do what you want with your vehicle, without the state .gov saying "no you can't".

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
they are sending them out to lots of people, regardless of if you are due or not. I got one as well. Trying to be as much a pain in the ass as they can before they lose the chance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they are sending them out to lots of people, regardless of if you are due or not. I got one as well. Trying to be as much a pain in the ass as they can before they lose the chance.
View Quote

That's what I figured out. When I spoke to them they claimed that Idaho law says that emissions testing doesn't have to be tied to vehicle registration so they get to determine when they require a test.

They also sent me a nasty gram saying I was past due and they were going to have my registration revoked so I just paid the 30.00 extortion for both of my cars. The place I went to had a perpetual line of cars to get tested which I've never seen before. They must really be sending them out trying to milk it. I bet they get paid per car or some nonsense and it's about to dry up for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top