Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2021 7:36:56 PM EDT
https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78121&hl=

ILLINOIS STATE POLICE INVESTIGATE CCL INSTRUCTOR FOR IMPROPER TRAINING AND FORGERY

Springfield, IL – The Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) Investigative Support Unit (ISU) and the Macoupin County States Attorney Jordan Garrison charged Concealed Carry License (CCL) Instructor Terry Lumma, 60-year-old female of Shipman, IL with Forgery (Class 3 Felony) and Providing False Conceal Carry Weapon (CCW) Certification (Class A Misdemeanor).

“The Illinois State Police takes these types of allegations seriously and will investigate those who attempt to defraud the system and bring them to justice,” stated ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly.  “The men and women of the Illinois State Police, Firearms Services Bureau, continuously strive to protect and maintain the integrity of the FOID and CCL.”

In December 2020, the ISP FSB received a complaint against Lumma. The complaint stated Lumma was not teaching the CCL classes according to the CCL Act 430 ILCS 66/75 (ilga.gov).  After a five-month investigation, the FSB investigators found evidence to support the allegations of the complaint. The case was presented to the Macoupin County States Attorney Jordan Garrison, who made the determination to file criminal charges. Lumma was charged with Forgery and Providing False CCW Certification. Lumma was mailed a Notice to Appear and is scheduled to appear at the Macoupin County courthouse on June 23, 2021 at 8:45 a.m.

Due to this investigation, the ISP FSB determined that all the concealed carry certification courses hosted by Lumma, failed to satisfy the mandatory requirements for concealed carry firearm training set forth in the CCL Act.  As a result, training certificates issued to over 200 students by Lumma and submitted to the ISP as part of their CCL application have been deemed invalid.  All of these students were sent letters notifying them of their status and are being provided a grace period of 60 days from receipt of the letter to complete the requirements for a new, valid CCL.  During the 60-day period, the ISP will deem the CCL holder as valid, if the CCL is otherwise in good standing.

In accordance with Section 75 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, 430 ILCS 66/75, qualified instructors are required to teach all applicants, who are not eligible for prior training credit, a minimum of 16 hours of instruction approved by the Illinois State Police prior to issuing an Illinois Concealed Carry License Training Certification.
The ISP FSB provides a list of CCL frequently asked questions: IL Firearm Applicant Portal (ispfsb.com).  

All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

###
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In the thread it also was reported George Parsons was revoked as an instructor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 3:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Revoking the Constitutional rights of over 200 people over the actions of a third party.

Then those 200 people only have to spend ANOTHER 16 hours and few hundred dollars on training and documentation to get their rights back and you know even though they were only given 60 days to do it the ISP will take 2x that to let them know when everything has gone through and they are legal again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It is obviously an imperfect solution for bad instructors.  We know of an instructor that would only do half day classes and NO live fire.  He did a fair volume of classes because it is known he cut corners which makes folks taking his class culpable.  The ISP isn't going to access every individual student to see if they were properly trained.  The guidelines for instructors have been clear and those folks that are in the business just to rake in $$ and not meet the standards they agreed to are in for bad consequences.
I'm surprised ISP doesn't make them reapply and pay the fee again...I would have expected them to do that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you InterestedBystander.  I shared this information with the Board of Directors at our local gun club.  They vet instructors who want to teach at our facility and this type of information comes in handy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is obviously an imperfect solution for bad instructors.  We know of an instructor that would only do half day classes and NO live fire.  He did a fair volume of classes because it is known he cut corners which makes folks taking his class culpable.  The ISP isn't going to access every individual student to see if they were properly trained.  The guidelines for instructors have been clear and those folks that are in the business just to rake in $$ and not meet the standards they agreed to are in for bad consequences.
I'm surprised ISP doesn't make them reapply and pay the fee again...I would have expected them to do that.
View Quote

Don't apologize for the state, they purposely made our CCW qualification requirements the worst in the nation because they hate us and they hate the idea that they were forced to let us be able defend ourselves and the system we have is unquestionably a giant infringement of our 2nd amendment rights. I guarantee you there are 10's of thousands of people in IL that aren't able to exercise their rights legally because of the time and money commitment required is not something they can swing - it was hard enough for me as a father of 3 young children (5 now and it would be impossible) with a flexible job to get it done.

When you create artificially expensive goods and services through over regulation and nanny-ism you get a black market, that's econ 101 and is a pattern that has repeated itself from prohibition to the war on drugs to even construction contracting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with your take.  Madigan announced he wanted the most expensive and longest training of all the states.  I blame him and the democrats that put him there.
I also give no quarter to those "instructors" that use the CC as a cash cow and don't provide the training required.  It is stealing and they know if they get caught, their students will be the ones to suffer...
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree with your take.  Madigan announced he wanted the most expensive and longest training of all the states.  I blame him and the democrats that put him there.
I also give no quarter to those "instructors" that use the CC as a cash cow and don't provide the training required.  It is stealing and they know if they get caught, their students will be the ones to suffer...
View Quote

I will give you that I have a touch of schadenfreude to know that the instructors who gladly pushed/approved of/endorsed of this situation we are in because it would make them money are being held legally liable for it (of course most didn't), even though the entire situation shouldn't exist in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are 100% in agreement on this point.  When the FCCL law first came into effect, there were a lot of shady instructors who were in it strictly for the money.  It's going to take some time to weed them out.

When something like this happens, the State's Attorney's Office can apply pressure on the shady instructor to refund money to the students.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
200 hours community service
View Quote

Think he tried to shave time off his community service time?
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well training must not be that important. The students permits are still valid during the 60 day grace period.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Any instructor who cuts corners is a thief and they should be treated like a thief.  It's that simple.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got an email from my instructor that should put the icing it right on top of the cake…

The Illinois State Police has recently disallowed a typed instructor signature on the class certification document which has caused us to re-issue those certificates in case any students need to re-submit them. If your application is rejected by the state police because of this signature discrepancy, they will contact you asking for an updated certificate.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Why would any instructor type in a signature line on a legal document.  There is no accountability as it could be claimed that anyone could have typed in that name.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why would any instructor type in a signature line on a legal document.  There is no accountability as it could be claimed that anyone could have typed in that name.
View Quote

That's a very good question.  Why would an instructor cut corners like that?  Where else would the instructor cut corners?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top