Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2021 9:50:19 AM EDT
The full Missouri House of Representatives will be voting on HB 85, the 2nd Amendment Preservation Act today (Wednesday). This is the first of two votes that will pass the bill out of the House and send it to the Senate.

And this bill has TEETH like no other gun rights bill in history.

This is incredible speed for any bill!

Call AND email your state rep NOW and tell him or her that supporting HB 85 is what you sent them to Jeff City to do!

Look up your rep's phone and email here: https://www.house.mo.gov/MemberRoster.aspx?year=2021&code=R

Call today!  If you get voice mail leave a short message.

Then send an email.

Other states are watching Missouri, this bill will light fires of liberty across the union!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
This bill is moving fast. I think the Sheriffs assoc. is going to be an obstacle we need to address. I talked with our Sheriff yesterday and I think he's going to be ok. We all need to a call or contact our Sheriffs and the Sheriffs assoc. and let them know where we stand.Especially Green county Sheriff. The SAPA bills are looking good this year but it's far from a done deal.

Thanks for posting this dab2
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This bill is moving fast. I think the Sheriffs assoc. is going to be an obstacle we need to address. I talked with our Sheriff yesterday and I think he's going to be ok. We all need to a call or contact our Sheriffs and the Sheriffs assoc. and let them know where we stand.Especially Green county Sheriff. The SAPA bills are looking good this year but it's far from a done deal.

Thanks for posting this dab2
View Quote

THIS...absolutely. My sheriff is very pro-second amendment; but he wrote me back and had some issues w/ the language thinking it will impede their working w/ the Feds on things as ICE and DEA and such. I sent him the FAQ's on his misconceptions. I have yet to hear back from him.
  The FAQ's on SAPA came from Missourifirst.org. If it passes to the Governor's desk I pray he will understand the importance of this legislation for the people of Missouri and not from misunderstandings or paranoia of law enforcement...we'll see.
  And you're welcome!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Live feed.

https://sg001-harmony.sliq.net/00325/Harmony/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20210203/-1/2277?viewMode=3

ETA

Finished. There's probably a recording someplace though.

Passed the first vote I believe. Coupme of amendments to take away officer liability and put it in the dept... not sure i see that as positive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
By KY3 Staff
Published: Feb. 3, 2021 at 5:44 PM CST|Updated: 26 minutes ago

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) - Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott says he’s changed his mind after two Springfield-area lawmakers changed the wording of two bills intended to protect the Second Amendment and further ease restrictions for gun owners.

Sen. Eric Burlison (R-Christian County) and Rep. Jered Taylor (R-Republic) sponsored the legislation to establish the Second Amendment Preservation Act.

The lawmakers say the bills will prevent police and deputies in Missouri from enforcing any federal gun laws, even if the federal laws become stricter than what they are now.

Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott last month said the bills were “well intended but misguided” and could limit law enforcement officers all around the state. He says he changed that thinking after Taylor and Burlison made changes.

“In regards to today’s action on House Bill 85, I reviewed the language that was changed and the deletions,” said Sheriff Arnott. “Some of the language I was concerned with has been removed. I had a conference call with Senator Burlison where we worked through problematic language in Senate Bill 39.”

I guess we'll have to see what the bill says now and if the Sheriffs Assoc. backs it. I would'nt think Burlison or Taylor would give away the farm as long and hard as they have worked on this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
HCS HBs 85 & 310, Perfected, full bill text:

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills211/hlrbillspdf/0767H.03P.pdf

From Ron Calzone:

"It includes an amendment that makes the agency that enforces or otherwise cooperates with federal gun control liable for $50,000 settlements PER INFRACTION and eliminates punishing individual officers."
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the update mzM...it's appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hcs HB 85&310 just now passed the House 105-43 I believe it was. It now goes to the Senate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder who gets the 50 grand?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wonder who gets the 50 grand?
View Quote

Great question!! Should be the people whose rights they abused but in reality that won't happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hcs HB 85&310 just now passed the House 105-43 I believe it was. It now goes to the Senate.
View Quote

Do we have a breakdown of the vote? Theres 114 repubs and 48 dems and 1 vacant seat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
In reality the money will probably go back into a Sheriffs fund
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do we have a breakdown of the vote? Theres 114 repubs and 48 dems and 1 vacant seat.
View Quote

Yes, go to Missouri Bill search...put in HB 85 in Search and click search...then click on HB85...then in the right hand column you will see bill text...then click on the RC 017.002  2/4 link and it will show you who voted how.
It shows 103 YES and 43 NO. Hope this helps. By the way there were 16 Absent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In reality the money will probably go back into a Sheriffs fund
View Quote

mikeak...shame on you!...you're sounding like a crooked politician now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
If this passes will it have an affect on NFA items?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If this passes will it have an affect on NFA items?
View Quote

No not really, it really won't have much immediate effect for the individual gun owner
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The 2013 language had all NFA exempted except machine guns.  But in any case, not sure who would want to be the test dummy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The issue is this bill doesn't do anything to alter Missouri's weapons laws, under 571.020 unregistered NFA items are illegal in the state of Missouri
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m trying to think of instances where local or state authorities actively enforce federal gun laws. Maybe I’m clueless but I’m drawing a blank. I guess the point of this is local cops can’t assist when Congress passes the big kick-in-the-doors federal gun grab law.

There were a couple times when i was an FFL that local cops came in with the ATF guy when they were working a straw purchase angle to try to get something on local gang-banger thugs. I guess they won’t be able to do that anymore. I suppose joint task force things like Operation Legend will be a no-go, also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m trying to think of instances where local or state authorities actively enforce federal gun laws. Maybe I’m clueless but I’m drawing a blank. I guess the point of this is local cops can’t assist when Congress passes the big kick-in-the-doors federal gun grab law.

There were a couple times when i was an FFL that local cops came in with the ATF guy when they were working a straw purchase angle to try to get something on local gang-banger thugs. I guess they won’t be able to do that anymore. I suppose joint task force things like Operation Legend will be a no-go, also.
View Quote

No it probably means officers will ignore it in the hope of using it as a stepping stone to a federal job. "Oh I was just there... I wasnt involved."

What's the worst that will happen? The boss gives them a slapped wrist and says "dont do it again" wink wink... I guess it shows how much pull the sheriffs association has with politicians that the public doesnt.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Local Law Enforcement can always enforce a Federal law. The way the law is written you can always go up the food chain but can never go down the food chain. For instance a Federal Officer cannot enforce a State or Local law.
View Quote

Every day, learn something I do . . . if I'm lucky and paying attention. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
HCS HBs 85 & 310, Perfected, full bill text:

https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills211/hlrbillspdf/0767H.03P.pdf

From Ron Calzone:

"It includes an amendment that makes the agency that enforces or otherwise cooperates with federal gun control liable for $50,000 settlements PER INFRACTION and eliminates punishing individual officers."
View Quote

Does that mean the ones who don't like the new law, and arrest people anyway (regardless whether they get released later), couldn't get in trouble for it? They could knowingly break the Missouri law, without penalty?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Does that mean the ones who don't like the new law, and arrest people anyway (regardless whether they get released later), couldn't get in trouble for it? They could knowingly break the Missouri law, without penalty?
View Quote

Seems that way... so STL City will be no change.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, wouldn't this mean that even if the individual cop doesn't get repremended, wouldn't the (whole) department get fined from the one cop cooperating with federal? If so, I think that individual cop would have more than a hand slap--wink, wink something happen to them for involving the entire dept.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#26]
IF I'm understanding this right(emphasis on if) If an individual LEO breaks the Mo. law as per SAPA his punishment (or lack of)would be determined by the L.E. agency he works for. I'm guessing the money would come from the agency's operating budget or something similar.
 Don't take this wrong because I fully support this bill. As far as I know L.E. agencys don't produce any money. I believe their funds come from tax paying citizens. So the way it looks to me is If a LEO breaks the law and his agency is fined the tax paying citizens will foot the bill.
Just saying
  Mike
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep! Over 32 years I worked for 5 departments. Everyone of them would have ripped you a new asshole if your actions resulted in a $50,000.00 fine! You also would be looking for a new job!
View Quote

5 years down the road after it's been through how many courts?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
IF I'm understanding this right(emphasis on if) If an individual LEO breaks the Mo. law as per SAPA his punishment (or lack of)would be determined by the L.E. agency he works for. I'm guessing the money would come from the agency's operating budget or something similar.
 Don't take this wrong because I fully support this bill. As far as I know L.E. agencys don't produce any money. I believe their funds come from tax paying citizens. So the way it looks to me is If a LEO breaks the law and his agency is fined the tax paying citizens will foot the bill.
Just saying
  Mike
View Quote

City Hall gets mad when they have to cut money from the budget because someone does something stupid.
Forcing this back to the agency ensures the politicians who want the cops to do something stupid will have a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top