Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2023 10:12:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully they rule in our favor but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
And can someone post something about what was said or happened?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And can someone post something about what was said or happened?
View Quote

Unfortunately I only had time to listen a few minutes.  At the time I did listen our side was getting grilled because they raised IIA issues before the appeals court, but did not raise IIA before the circuit court.

When the case was filed in state court AFAIK the only issues were equal protection, and the procedural problems in passing the law (single subject or whatever).  So the justice was grilling our side about why they

are ONLY NOW bringing up the IIA.

Frankly it didn't boost my confidence.  If they thought they could win on the state court claims they wouldn't be talking about the IIA.  The IIA claims were supposed to be made in federal court according to their

plan as I understood it.  So basically it looked like a Hail Mary to me, but like I said I didn't have a lot of time to listen to the whole thing.  Hopefully I missed some angle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unfortunately I only had time to listen a few minutes.  At the time I did listen our side was getting grilled because they raised IIA issues before the appeals court, but did not raise IIA before the circuit court.

When the case was filed in state court AFAIK the only issues were equal protection, and the procedural problems in passing the law (single subject or whatever).  So the justice was grilling our side about why they

are ONLY NOW bringing up the IIA.

Frankly it didn't boost my confidence.  If they thought they could win on the state court claims they wouldn't be talking about the IIA.  The IIA claims were supposed to be made in federal court according to their

plan as I understood it.  So basically it looked like a Hail Mary to me, but like I said I didn't have a lot of time to listen to the whole thing.  Hopefully I missed some angle.
View Quote

Excellent points!  I have worried about the Caulkins case as picking only one issue.  I was told Caulkins stopped the PICA for only $20,000.  In court you get what you pay for.  

The contrarian argument is that if Caulkins wins, other cases are stopped, which lets IGA passes a new and probably worse AWB in compliance with this case and we are back here again in six months.   If we lose here, the other much stronger cases can go forward.  Not a lawyer, but these days you have to study law a lot to stay out of jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top