Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2021 12:19:05 PM EDT
I've decided I want a suppressed .22 pistol. Semi auto.

What pistols should I be looking at? What silencer? Cost of each?

Specifics please. I'm willing to spend $$.

Also, any insight into the process of getting a stamp, etc and all that's involved. I have a full carry as of now if that's relevant.

Any pics of your personal setups would be greatly appreciated, I'm looking for inspiration.

Thanks brothers.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, threaded barrels on a pistol are no bueno here any longer, which means you either need a pre-ban pistol, an integrally suppressed barrel or you're going to have to pin the can on.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure the hive will tell me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my understanding as well.

"Assault pistols" and all that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus Christ they fuck everything up. Can't win.

What am I looking at with something with an integral suppressor? Is there a standard I should be considering?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus Christ they fuck everything up. Can't win.
View Quote

Welcome to Connecticut.

The easiest way to think of it--anything really cool that you want, you can't have.  If you accept that, it ain't so bad.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You have a few options.
-Buy a mark 4 with threaded barrel. Have the LGS pin weld a gemtech QDA on it before transfer. Use the qda on your can.  4 lug QD.
-Buy a preban mark and have it threaded. (Serial on upper)
-Buy a preban buckmark and swap barrels to a tacsol threaded one. ( serial is on frame )
-Buy integ. upper for a mark 4, buy a mark 4 frame online.  

I recommend going preban buckmark with a tacsol or a new mark 4/buckmark/victory with a pin weld qd adapter

Deadair mask, $430+Stamp
Mark/buckmark/etc 5-600
Pin weld + qda 175-200.

I use central ct arms as they have a silencer shop kiosk and are somewhat local.
You do prints, picture, info on the kiosk, you tell them what suppressor yiu want, they’ll buy the suppressor at the shop, pay, leave. Silencer shop does the rest. You get a couple emails you need to esign, which is easy, did it on my ipotato.
I did my sandman there, did all the kiosk stuff, then I bought the Deadair mask online at home, they kept my info on file, e signed the documents, good to go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The tacsol integral is the shit, but you give up the ability to put it on other guns. Other than the tacsol route you need a preban pistol.
For preban, I like the DA mask and the GM22. Both quiet and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Welcome to Connecticut.

The easiest way to think of it--anything really cool that you want, you can't have.  If you accept that, it ain't so bad.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger mk 2!
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
As stated above, preban pistol is a good route. Integral suppressed is cool. However, I know it would leave me wanting a stand-alone .22 can for other applications, such as a super quiet bolt action .22lr.

Ruger MK II + chop/thread + Q El Camino

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
There are LOTS of preban 22 pistols out there besides Ruger & Browning.  

Most don't have the aftermarket accessories, but nothing a trip to a gunsmith can't fix.  

Mine had a lil nub of exposed barrel, guy made a extension, welded it and threaded it to the nub.    

Cost me $100 8years ago.  

Don't forget about preban centerfire with 22lr conversions either.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
-Buy a mark 4 with threaded barrel. Have the LGS pin weld a gemtech QDA on it before transfer. Use the qda on your can.  4 lug QD.
View Quote

I don't see how this would be legal. A pin and weld doesn't change the fact that the barrel is threaded to accept a silencer. CT law specifically forbids the threaded barrel, in this scenario.  

Not all MKii's are preban. I believe the serial must be under 218-.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't see how this would be legal. A pin and weld doesn't change the fact that the barrel is threaded to accept a silencer. CT law specifically forbids the threaded barrel, in this scenario.  

View Quote

I don’t see how it would be any different from a 14.7” barrel and a pinned and welded muzzle device, or in the state of CT a barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device pre 2013.   The threads don’t exist if something is permanently attached to them.  They are just a means of attaching the device.

Of course I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice and I don’t have any setup that I’m describing.  Just using common sense.

But then again law and common sense usually don’t go hand in hand.

ETA:  
Unless I’m misunderstanding you, and you mean that you think a QD MD would be considered a “threaded barrel”.  If that’s the case, I have no idea.  
Is jgreen a gambler
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have seen tons of them for sale in various stores. You would think the state would be all over that if it was not. If it is permanently attached, I don't see the problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

CT dealers are/have been doing this.  Your interpretation is incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The adapter that is welded on has lugs, not threads.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I wasn't aware stores were selling and the state hasn't said anything. Still doesn't have support from the law, imo.

I don't agree a p&w changes anything, per the wording of the law, and is of no comparison. Threads aren't mentioned and the point is to permanently make the bbl longer. Here, threads are specifically mentioned as verboten.

Ianal, by any means, but "(II) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward pistol grip or silencer;" is exactly what you have. The QD mount's existence helps nothing as its only function is to retain said muzzle device(s).

Pls let's not make this bigger. If they're selling them and no one's getting slack, good. This was just how I interpreted it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to drag this out, but if I remember correctly, back prior to pa13-3, if you had an ar, most likely you had a pin weld muzzle device so the barrel wasn’t “threaded” and a fixed stock, due to the ban that was in place at that time.
That circumvented the “threaded” barrel law, with the old 2 feature list. Fixed/pinned stock, pistol grip, that’s all we were allowed on an ar style gun.
Because were talking threaded barrels, a lot of folks have been shopping for 1911’s, getting a piston welded because the barrel comes out the front.
That’s all, just a refresher.
I’m in the same boat looking for a rimfire suppressor host, let us know what you come up with, post some pics!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Ruger Mark II that I hate. I would avoid those guns. They are not easy to tear down for cleaning and the upper is the serialized part so swapping parts is more or less worthless.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I went mkii because I’m a big volquartsen fan. JoJo’s chopped it to 4.5” and threaded it. My victory will be going the qda route.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I had my Preban MK II threaded.

I was also an early adopter of the QD concept.  I bought a Griffin Checkmate, and a dozen tri-lugs. I have pinned them on a couple of post ban .22s.  Kind of wished I waited for the quad lug setup, but I am happy with the Checkmate.

Out of Covid boredom, I highly overpaid for a MK IV 22/45 with a threaded barrel.  I had a tri-lug pinned on, with plans for a red dot optic (old eyes are getting bad).
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a ruger Mark 1 (threaded then hooked up my buddy with it ) , i still have ruger Mark 2 awc amphibian integrally suppressed, and a registered Mark 3 threaded with a AAC pilot 2.
Love them all. i scored the amphibian on a really good deal. i beleive they are $1200-1500 for integrally suppressed now i have not looked in a while. 22Lr can will run you on average $300 ish plus stamp. then the cost of the
host. Another friend got a ruger mark 3 threaded and pin welded quick detach and loves it. all great options in list above.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
This guy is nothing short of amazing. He practically does art work.  

https://www.jpgrips.com/
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This guy is nothing short of amazing. He practically does art work.  

https://www.jpgrips.com/
View Quote

Agreed, I have a Ruger he did. Best I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ruger is nice enough to keep this posted on their website.

https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/PI-MarkII.html

You can use it to verify the production date before you buy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm looking at my non threaded 22/45 lite. Why isn't the threaded version CT legal?  The threads aren't on the barrel but on the collet that goes over the barrel and tensions the whole barrel/shroud.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm looking at my non threaded 22/45 lite. Why isn't the threaded version CT legal?  The threads aren't on the barrel but on the collet that goes over the barrel and tensions the whole barrel/shroud.
View Quote

I think it's the barrel shroud language in the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I was looking to do the same (suppressed 22lr). What is the actual date cut off for a preban, and is the S&W a viable option for a permanently attached lug?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Must be manufactured before 9/13/1994.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Got a Lite with threaded barrel before they lined us up against the wall

I’ll do whatever the fuck I want with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Must be manufactured before 9/13/1994.
View Quote

Isn't that the date for the assault weapons ban? Is it the same for the current ban as well since threaded handgun barrels was not part of the original AWB?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#31]
@imtheflash
Yes, it goes by the old ban date.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Ive been waiting for a Gemtech Mist integral suppressor to come in stock somewhere for like a year to finish a build. Makes me sad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top