Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2019 10:03:29 AM EDT
I moved to downtown Ogden in 2006, straight from the cesspool of downtown San Francisco. Folks warned me that it was ghetto but I said, "You don't even know what ghetto is."

Then I discovered downtown is a shit hole so I moved to what was then a nice neighborhood toward North Ogden. Everything was fine for years, until the rich and vibrant decrepitude followed, bringing their extreme vandalism.

I watched a couple of gangbangers almost get into a gun fight right in front of my house.

I am planning to move to either Cedar City, Hurricane, Ivins or St. George this year. I have three houses to sell in Ogden before I can make it happen, so it will take some time.

I'm headed to Southern Utah tomorrow to scout locations. Looks like there's a good rifle range in Hurricane.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I moved to the Ogden area for a short while back in the mid 1970s.  It was a shithole then.  Nothing has really changed in the last 40 years.  Anyone that has ever talked to me about moving to Utah I have given them a warning about moving to Ogden.  Not to say there are not some fine good people in Ogden.  However Ogden has more than a few shady, criminal, gangbanging, dishonest people residing there.  Salt Lake has its share but is a paradise compared to Ogden.  Now  if you are planing to move to St. George be prepared for geriatric city.  There are more old, incompetent, reckless drivers down there than you can shake a stick at.  Cedar City would be my choice.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Southern UT is nice, and as you know St. George is HOT HOT HOT in the summer.  Cedar not as bad.

What do you do for work if you don't mind saying?  I think everyone would move to St. George if there were more higher paying jobs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Southern UT is nice, and as you know St. George is HOT HOT HOT in the summer.  Cedar not as bad.

What do you do for work if you don't mind saying?  I think everyone would move to St. George if there were more higher paying jobs.
View Quote
I'm old and retired.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of old and retired people quite like St. George. It's very nice for a good chunk of the year. Really hot in the summer.

Ogden has always been a hole. I was born there and left at age one and never returned. It has not changed for the positive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I kinda like Ogden for a visit but I don't like any kind of big city life and will take it over SLC. I live west of town and it is quiet out here.

My mom just moved away from St. George because the value on her house skyrocketed.  She sold it and got a bigger place in North Florida for less. I find St. G to be pretty sterile and the police there don't put up with anything, borderline harassing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Toqueville we are close enough to st George and cedar city to get what we need but far enough out that nobody bothers us I just go out into the desert to shoot
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
There has been a lot of effort to improve down town Ogden in the last ten years, and they really have cleaned things up in the area of the Junction and along 25th Street. There is a lot of good food and entertainment options downtown now. Crime I believe, in that area, is way down. But the rest of the city, notably the housing areas, has a long way to go before I'd consider it cleaned up. The homeless population has grown in Weber County, outpacing the rest of the state. Some of that is from Operation Rio Grande, AKA: Operation Leaf Blower... which pushed a lot of the homeless from downtown SLC to outlying areas. Some of it is from lack of affordable housing. There are other factors involved. I believe drugs and gang activity are still a big issue, but I think I see less of both now, vs ten years ago. It may have just been pushed out of downtown. I'd like to see the numbers and stats.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46556325/homelessness-in-weber-county-rose-66-percent-in-4-years

All that said... I don't think Ogden is much (if at all) worse the SLC and the rest of the valley. I don't live in Ogden proper, and I wouldn't choose to live inside Ogden City itself if I was moving, but western Weber County isn't so bad, and a lot less ghetto, generally speaking. St George and Cedar City have their own issues... but they do get less snow.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm moving up to davis or Weber counties in the next few months to attend grad school at Weber state.  Found a few places in West Haven that really piqued my interest.  Is West Haven nice or still a shit hole due to ogden proximity?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm moving up to davis or Weber counties in the next few months to attend grad school at Weber state.  Found a few places in West Haven that really piqued my interest.  Is West Haven nice or still a shit hole due to ogden proximity?
View Quote
West Haven is fine, as long as you don’t mind flys, gnats and mosquitoes. The commute to Weber State won’t be bad, 20ish minutes, but finding parking may be a pain in the ass if you have class later in the morning.

Don’t let these guys scare you, Ogden is just fine. I’ve meet shitty people everywhere I’ve been, we could easily pack up our belongings and start a new career/life anywhere we wanted, yet we choose to live in Ogden. It’s a fine city with plenty to do and see, several great places to eat, minutes from hiking, biking, skiing, boulder/rock climbing, fishing, and most outdoor activities. One of the best “indoor” shooting ranges in Utah is located on the north side of town, there are a few really good outdoor ranges close by and if you want to drive a little bit, you can shoot well over 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
West Haven is a nice area but is growing pretty fast.

Ogden is no shittier than any other city of it's size and seems to be improving.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#11]
You are right. It isn't Ogden. It's me wanting to live in a warmer place, closer to my family.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
place im considering is brand new construction, my home isn't even finished yet.  Leasing company estimates it to be completed in about a month, so hopefully bugs aren't too much of an issue.

And my major hosts all classes at the Layton campus so I wont have to deal with parking at main campus very often.  Will  have to deal with parking at McKay-Dee or Layton hospitals all the time though, depending on where I get a transfer to
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And my major hosts all classes at the Layton campus so I wont have to deal with parking at main campus very often.  Will  have to deal with parking at McKay-Dee or Layton hospitals all the time though, depending on where I get a transfer to
View Quote
Take the front runner to Ogden, there is great bus service from the station to Weber State and McKay Dee.

Gary
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Please dont bring the hoodrats south with you!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top