Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 2:30:50 PM EDT
I plan on flying into Albuquerque NM and driving to Pegosa Springs CO. recommendations of things to do in between the 2 towns. I'll have 2 kids, 12 and 14 with me. Any help will be appreciated. Any recommended stops or things to see? We plan on staying in Albuqerque the day we arrive (at 9:00 am) and leave for Pegosa Springs the next day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:35:45 PM EDT
Don't leave anything in your rental car over night.

Ride teh tram to the top of the Sandia's,  National Atomic Museum, shop Old Town.  
Just depends on what you're interested in, and what is open/closed due to the Scamdemic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:36:08 PM EDT
The kids might enjoy Cliff’s Amusement Park.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2021 12:46:10 PM EDT by hp6]
DO NOT STAY IN ALBUQUERQUE  Avoid anything on the south side of Alb.  Stay north of I40.

Every summer there are people who make the mistake of staying at a hotel in Alb only to wake up the next morning to find their cars gone.  It's always in the news.  I remember listening to a guy in an archery store trying to buy all new equipment because someone stole all of their hunting equipment.  They were from TX and were in NM to hunt.

Stay in North Rio Rancho or Santa Fe.  Avoid Alb, and Espanola.

For things to do, you can drive up to the top of Sandia Peak.  There are two ways to get there, on a paved road, or on an unpaved road that goes to Placitas.  If you have a truck, the unpaved road is fun.  You can also ride the cable car to the top.

If you go to Santa Fe, you can stop by the plaza on the weekends and check out the Indian jewelry makers.  If you want nature, go west to Diablo Canyon.  Park you car in the parking lot and walk West towards the Rio Grande.  You are at the base of the mountains.  It is incredible.  Like something out of a old cowboy movie.  A drive to Hyde park is also fun.  There are nice look outs to stop at and take in the mountain views.

I just looked at your route.  You can stop at Monastery of Christ in the desert.  It is a real working monastery.  The area along the Chama river is beautiful. Penitente Morada is also nice.  There are different historic sites from the time Spanish missionaries were there.  Bandolier national monument is very nice.

Don't speed on the reservations, and don't carry.  Food there is cheep and spicy.  You will need an ID for alcohol no matter your age.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:05:03 PM EDT
Thank you, all this information is great.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:05:51 PM EDT
HP6 is right. Set the cruise control on the reservation. I used to have to drive to Los Alamos and the reservation cops make a fortune off of people going a little fast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2021 10:08:37 PM EDT by yipykyah_mf]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By discworld717:
HP6 is right. Set the cruise control on the reservation. I used to have to drive to Los Alamos and the reservation cops make a fortune off of people going a little fast.
View Quote

I always toss the bottle of booze I'm dranking out the window, and the cop stops following me.

Ain't gotta ticket, yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:06:36 AM EDT
The kids might really like Meow Wolf in Santa Fe. It’s a very memorable experience for most. I’d try to fit it in if possible.

En route to Pagosa you’ll pass through Abiquiu. Stop at Bode’s for a breakfast burrito. They have fun bumper stickers, too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:34:20 PM EDT
Gabriel's Restaurant is on your way. Food's pretty good there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:32:11 PM EDT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE ARFCOM Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive one email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Only subscribers with a registered ARFCOM account are eligible to win.
Top Top