Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2022 1:47:05 PM EDT
Hello Missouri HTF, I'm Andrew. I've been wanting to move to MO for the last 6 years. I've only passed through on 44 several times in my life, never got to stay. I'm from Wisconsin originally, and lived in rual Ohio for 5 years back in the 80's, and now 6.5 years in Arizona.

I don't have much of a plan (but it's just me and my dog). So far, in 2 weeks I'm going to buy a new trailer, throw everything on my truck and trailer and head out. I plan on putting some stuff in storage ( probably in West Plains) and having a look around that area. I'll need to find a cheap rental (a little trailer house would be fine) but will camp out, and get a motel here and there until I figure something out.

I'd like to be as close to forest land, and as far away from crowds, as having a job will allow me. I've been a painter most of my life, but I've done other construction jobs, along with retail, and some factory work (didn't like it much). Also I'd like to start fishing again, bunny/squirrel/pheasant/deer hunting too. (I guess you guys got hogs too)

I sort of stay out of politics anymore, but if I'm voting it's for red blooded American principles, values, and Liberty.

So anyhow, I just wanted to say hey, introduce myself, and see what you guys have to say about...well the whole situation lol.

Show Me State here I come.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you're the 2nd one here who's moving to MO from AZ. What's going on out there? Can't be something in the water, y'all ain't got any and what you do have comes from Colorado and is being syphoned from Nevada. Pretty soon Lake Mead will be a dry bed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You might look at SE Missouri also.

Construction jobs in NWA or Springfield will probably be more plentiful than West Plains.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
There's tons of national forest land east of west plains, there's not much for work either though so you'd probably commute into WP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
West Plains would probably be as good a place as any to start.  One thing about it you don't have to drive very far at all and you're in the brush.  You're also really close to a lot of amazing streams with rainbows and smallmouth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
We just put in an offer in sedalia. Some of the homes weve been after have sold quick. I hope you have better luck. Az is changing alot really fast.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, you're the 2nd one here who's moving to MO from AZ. What's going on out there? Can't be something in the water, y'all ain't got any and what you do have comes from Colorado and is being syphoned from Nevada. Pretty soon Lake Mead will be a dry bed.
View Quote

There's something in the water alright, but it sure ain't fish
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's tons of national forest land east of west plains, there's not much for work either though so you'd probably commute into WP.
View Quote

That sounds like it might be a good fit for me
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
West Plains would probably be as good a place as any to start.  One thing about it you don't have to drive very far at all and you're in the brush.  You're also really close to a lot of amazing streams with rainbows and smallmouth.
View Quote

Yer speaking my language lol. I really miss fishing. You got panfish over there? Like bluegills and stuff? (Maybe you guys call them bream?)
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We just put in an offer in sedalia. Some of the homes weve been after have sold quick. I hope you have better luck. Az is changing alot really fast.
View Quote

Thank you. I live in the a Prescott area, what a madhouse. I can't imagine what it must be like in the bigger towns/cities in AZ.  I've been here 6.5 years, and I only know a handful of people from AZ, they're all California people.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yer speaking my language lol. I really miss fishing. You got panfish over there? Like bluegills and stuff? (Maybe you guys call them bream?)
View Quote

I don't remember catching panfish in the upper eleven point where I used to fish, I'd look to lakes and ponds for those.  It's some COLD water!  Turns an outie into an innie.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of sunfish in our lakes and streams. I hear people call them perch which they absolutely are not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of sunfish in our lakes and streams. I hear people call them perch which they absolutely are not.
View Quote

I know there's a true biological difference between sunfish, longear sunfish, green sunfish and bluegill when looking in a fishing regulation book in knowing what one catches, in case there's a season for it to be legal in catching. Like the differences of a white or stripper bass, then there's also the hybrid species.

I've always called them perch, as that's what my grandparents called them, and I guess their grandparents taught them when growing up catching that particular fish.. Please tell/show us what a perch is then. If a perch is something that comes from the ocean waters, while MO is 1000 miles from the waters of catching them, then its a mote issue of what regional people call a pan fish, which is another name that some people call the common perch, no matter the biological species of that fish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know there's a true biological difference between sunfish, longear sunfish, green sunfish and bluegill when looking in a fishing regulation book in knowing what one catches, in case there's a season for it to be legal in catching. Like the differences of a white or stripper bass, then there's also the hybrid species.

I've always called them perch, as that's what my grandparents called them, and I guess their grandparents taught them when growing up catching that particular fish.. Please tell/show us what a perch is then. If a perch is something that comes from the ocean waters, while MO is 1000 miles from the waters of catching them, then its a mote issue of what regional people call a pan fish, which is another name that some people call the common perch, no matter the biological species of that fish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to Google search perch may be found in norther MO, they do not resemble any of the sunfish species.

I'm far from a grammar nazi, but regional slangs that are completely incorrect need to go away.

Ranks/racks/ricks/face cords of firewood are other terms that need to disappear.

Enough of a derail
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

According to Google search perch may be found in norther MO, they do not resemble any of the sunfish species.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228618/download__1___6_-2365431.jpg

I'm far from a grammar nazi, but regional slangs that are completely incorrect need to go away.

Ranks/racks/ricks/face cords of firewood are other terms that need to disappear.

Enough of a derail
View Quote

That's what we called perch in Wisconsin. They're like a little walleye, super good eating. The great lakes have HUGE ones.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m actually from that area.  

Haven’t been back since 89 or so.  My brother tells me it’s really grown.

I had the best childhood growing up there , I miss it.  

I’ll be moving back in less than 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Enough of a derail
View Quote

That is what we always called a Lake Perch. We caught hundreds if not thousands of them in Lake Michigan when I lived in Illinois. They have to be one of the best eating fish alive. As far as wood measurement, when I sold firewood in Illinois, what we called a face cord was 1/3 of a full cord. Typically, it was a 4' x 8' stack of 16" cut pieces. A full cord is 4' x 4' x 8'.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is what we always called a Lake Perch. We caught hundreds if not thousands of them in Lake Michigan when I lived in Illinois. They have to be one of the best eating fish alive. As far as wood measurement, when I sold firewood in Illinois, what we called a face cord was 1/3 of a full cord. Typically, it was a 4' x 8' stack of 16" cut pieces. A full cord is 4' x 4' x 8'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough of a derail

Yup. Your last sentence is absolutely correct, when I sell wood it's by the cord or fraction of a cord.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out cloud 9 ranch. We're camping here right now.
There are people that live here year round
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Phoenix sucks and the surrounding cities are experiencing a population/sprawl boom. If a business venture I'm working on doesn't take off in the next couple years, there is a very good chance I'll move back to southern Missouri.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Check out cloud 9 ranch. We're camping here right now.
There are people that live here year round
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I wish I seen your post before, but I'm camped out in the forest right now. I might head back into WP tomorrow though.

I got over here this morning, broke down in Oklahoma yesterday, and it kinda messed up my chance to get a storage unit until Monday. My truck and trailer is still all loaded down.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Are un-cased, loaded long guns ok in Missouri? ( in the cab of your truck)
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are un-cased, loaded long guns ok in Missouri? ( in the cab of your truck)
View Quote

Interesting question. . . . Loaded handguns are definitely OK, but i’m not sure about long guns. Seems like I remember from my CCW class that the law only applies to concealable weapons. I’m confident somebody knows for sure.

Eta: i did a quick search and my current understanding is that loaded long guns are OK if they are in plain sight. CONCEALED loaded long guns may not be OK but I doubt anyone would make an issue out of it. If you’re in a situation where they would find it, you’ve probably got bigger issues already
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I got my stuff in storage, and now I need to find a place to rent. I've checked Craigslist, Howell County News, Weekly Trader, and West Plains Daily Quill. No luck.

If anybody knows about a place in or close by West Plains to rent, that doesn't cost a fortune, and would allow me to have my dog there please let me know.

I'm camping out, and last night I got a motel, and I need to find a place asap. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I got my stuff in storage, and now I need to find a place to rent. I've checked Craigslist, Howell County News, Weekly Trader, and West Plains Daily Quill. No luck.

If anybody knows about a place in or close by West Plains to rent, that doesn't cost a fortune, and would allow me to have my dog there please let me know.

I'm camping out, and last night I got a motel, and I need to find a place asap. Thanks guys.
View Quote

Have you looked at AirBnB rentals? Not a long-term solution, I know, but it might get you through for a week or two . . .

https://www.airbnb.com/west-plains-mo/stays
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Appreciate the help fellas

I found a realtor lady that deals with rental properties on Google too, I'll call when she opens in an hour.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]
You might want to check out the Fredericktown/Farmington area. To me it just seems like a convenient location. Close enough to my part of the state to still be in the country, for hunting and fishing and such, but close enough to STL to make commuting not such a pain in the neck.  Plus Farmington, Cape Girardeau and Poplar Bluff all have plenty of construction going on, if that's something you're looking for. Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is just from a Google search;

https://www.apartments.com/houses/west-plains-mo/pet-friendly/
View Quote

I thought that one was gonna work out for a second, they won't let my dog on the property because he's half miniature pinscher.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you stuck with West Plains?  You might look in Koshkonong, Thayer, Pomona, or Willow Springs.

You might need to hit the bricks to find a house to rent.  Buy a copy of the West Plains Daily Quill and track down a Thrifty Nickel or similar local ads.

View Quote

Land is cheap in kosh and Thayer , not much to do there unless you like to fish and skip rocks.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
The wife's brother has a house outside of Koshkonong for sale. It's a nice place on 15 , I think , acres. It's the last house on the right on Z hiway. About a half mile from the Warm Fork Conservation Area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There's more than enough to keep a person busy anywhere in southern Missouri if they have any kind of curiosity or willingness to turn the television off.

View Quote
+1
South Central Missouri is a beautiful place with plenty of outdoor activity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You got panfish over there? Like bluegills and stuff? (Maybe you guys call them bream?)
View Quote

You can find all the stunted bluegills you want if you start fishing the abandoned farm ponds that litter the state!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The wife's brother has a house outside of Koshkonong for sale. It's a nice place on 15 , I think , acres. It's the last house on the right on Z hiway. About a half mile from the Warm Fork Conservation Area.
View Quote

I'll have to keep my eye out. I've been taking my dog to the river at Warm Fork, we went there just today. Then grabbed a beer at Snappy Mart.

Ended up getting a gig painting in Eminence and was able to stay at the jobsite, but on the next job things kinda didn't work out. So I'm looking for a job again.

But I did get hooked up with a little place to rent for now, where I can have my dog. It's about halfway between West Plains and Koshkonong.

Still haven't done any fishing yet.

Over in Eminence

Over at the river

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#41]
You might check with the National Park Service. They were hiring seasonal workers earlier. Might be an option until something else comes along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top