Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 8:51:47 PM EDT
Does anyone have any leads?

Do I just go to a firehouse?

Need it for swinging targets.

Thx!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen fabric fire hose thrown away in lots of a thousand feet.  When it gets old to a certain point, out it goes.  So where to look for it?
I tried eBay, and found a bunch by searching on the words "fire hoses" or "fire hose".
I had similar results with Craigslist.

It looks like scrap fire hose will cost about a dollar per foot.

So trying fire stations is a good place to start.  Also think about trying the city's corp yard where they keep their second-line fire trucks and other utility vehicles.  Try the U.S. Forest Service on East McDowell Road.  It's either going to be jackpot or nothing.  But you might get leads.

Something that might work, at least for a while, instead of fire hose would be a used serpentine belt from a V8 car or truck.  Those are fabric-reinforced and can be bent over and doubled.  But old fire hose is a great idea.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have seen fabric fire hose thrown away in lots of a thousand feet.  When it gets old to a certain point, out it goes.  So where to look for it?
I tried eBay, and found a bunch by searching on the words "fire hoses" or "fire hose".
I had similar results with Craigslist.

It looks like scrap fire hose will cost about a dollar per foot.

So trying fire stations is a good place to start.  Also think about trying the city's corp yard where they keep their second-line fire trucks and other utility vehicles.  Try the U.S. Forest Service on East McDowell Road.  It's either going to be jackpot or nothing.  But you might get leads.

Something that might work, at least for a while, instead of fire hose would be a used serpentine belt from a V8 car or truck.  Those are fabric-reinforced and can be bent over and doubled.  But old fire hose is a great idea.  
View Quote
fire hose is good but it still shreads quickly.   maybe the car belt would last longer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
What about some heavy mud flaps?  Probably could find some at NAPA or other auto parts stores.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard the conveyor belt material from grocery store checkouts works too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about some heavy mud flaps?  Probably could find some at NAPA or other auto parts stores.
View Quote
Good idea!

Anyone use the heavy chain?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good idea!

Anyone use the heavy chain?
View Quote
I have used both chain and fire hose.  I got the fire hose from a local fire station for nothing, just had to wait until they had one that got a hole.

I like the chain far better, the hose is light though.  Just get a long bolt and though a link on one side, target, link on other side and the nut.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I use fire hose for swinging targets.  I found an amount of it at the Antiques store in Chandler on AZ Ave / Warner.  I think I paid about 10 bucks for around 20 feet of hose.  I find that it works great and I've used the same pieces for several range trips.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
... I went to the Mesa fire department maintenance facility a few years ago and the gave me a roll of old fire hose for same purpose

http://www.mesaaz.gov/residents/fire-medical/divisions-sections/maintenance
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I go to a mine supply store and buy conveyor belt material.  It comes in all thicknesses and usually has impregnated rope fibers.  I may be closer to the mines than you, but we have several supply stores.  Sometimes they give it to me for free. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top