Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2023 7:45:26 PM EDT
I'm going to try to get into bow hunting this year and I was planning on using stands, so I started getting set up with a decent safety harness system with a lifeline.

That has been evolving into an interest in saddle hunting, but a big issue with saddle hunting is I don't even want to try it without at least learning to rappell first.

Is there anyone within a couple hours drive of independence that could help teach a guy or at least steer me in the right direction?

I'm not a small guy and I'm riding the line of 300lbs so I understand weight limits on gear need to be considered, but I would feel a lot better If I could properly learn to rappell.

This does not seem like something you should learn from youtube
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if they still allow it there, but we used to rappel over at backbone.  I can't help with the instruction piece though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if they still allow it there, but we used to rappel over at backbone.  I can't help with the instruction piece though.
View Quote

I remember there was an iowa prepper page I was on once where they had an event where people could go out and learn at backbone but I didn't participate and I regret not having done it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
As a life long(since mid 80s) bowhunter saddle hunting looks uncomfortable and unhandy as heck. I suppose if you are only hunting public and want to be lite as possible carrying your stuff in and out every sit maybe but still I'd want sticks and a real stand. I know there was a guy that died last year trying his saddle gear out pretty sure in Iowa

I know scouts have done repelling at wildcats den
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I rappelled when I was about 235lbs would I do that at 300…… No, gravity is not your friend. I would bow hunt from a ladder stand but I secure it multiple places with good tie downs. I use a piece of 550 chord to pull the bow up. I use a piece of rappelling rope and carabiners to tie me to the tree. Falling asleep and falling out of a ladder stand or loosing your balance is not recommended.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top