Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2021 6:03:55 PM EDT
I'm about to move to a house in Marion county and I've got some questions.

Ranges- I'm looking at a membership at Ares Training Facility for most of my pistol/rifle shooting, then JTAC Ranch for ultra long range stuff.  Anyone shot at either place?  What's it like?  I've got connections to some private land in the area, but I'd rather not wear out my welcome.

Concealed carry- I read that it takes about a month to get your real drivers license after you apply for one in FL.  Can I take the paper temporary license + proof of residence documents and get my concealed carry application started immediately?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You can start the process immediately. You don't have to be a resident. The permit is the same in/out-of state.

Just have an address where they can mail you the permit, and if your address changes, go online and change it there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I got driver license on a first visit to DMV. Took us exactly 30 minutes. Make sure you got all the paperwork in order. Make sure to make appointment online.

Dep of Agriculture got 90 days to process your application. I got mine pre-covid in 3 weeks.

Link
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a remote membership to JTAC. The remote membership is only good for a specific number of visits. I live about an hour and a half away so that works well. It is pricey but I really do like the range. The 2000 yard part doesn't usually have more than a couple people on it during weekends (this has been the case both times I've gone). Maybe that will change in the fall/winter as the Temps drop. If you have questions I'd be happy to "try" and answer them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a remote membership to JTAC. The remote membership is only good for a specific number of visits. I live about an hour and a half away so that works well. It is pricey but I really do like the range. The 2000 yard part doesn't usually have more than a couple people on it during weekends (this has been the case both times I've gone). Maybe that will change in the fall/winter as the Temps drop. If you have questions I'd be happy to "try" and answer them.
View Quote

That sounds like what I'd do- I don't think I could afford to shoot a 2000yd capable rifle more than a few times a year, and there are places to shoot near Ocala that will work for pistol/carbine.  Currently I have a good DMR that will barely get to 1k, but I'm a long range junky.

What cartridges are popular there?  I know FL has a dense atmosphere so it will take a lot of gun to get out there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can start the process immediately. You don't have to be a resident. The permit is the same in/out-of state.

Just have an address where they can mail you the permit, and if your address changes, go online and change it there.
View Quote

Interesting.  So I can start the application now (I have a drivers license/CCW from MS and have reciprocity), and just change address when I get my drivers license?

I ask this because I'm attending an out of state shoot in December and don't want to get hassled by law enforcement (particularly when driving through Louisiana).  I've read that my out of state license is good for a few weeks after changing residency to FL, but I don't want to test this on the side of the road at 2am.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
BSSF is just 45 minutes north of us and they have 850yds with steel every 200. You have to qualify to use it but it's as simple as just showing up the one day a month they offer a qualification class and demonstrating that you know how to shoot long range safely.

There's another semi-private range that runs out to a mile not far from here either. I can share some more details if you want to PM me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting.  So I can start the application now (I have a drivers license/CCW from MS and have reciprocity), and just change address when I get my drivers license?

I ask this because I'm attending an out of state shoot in December and don't want to get hassled by law enforcement (particularly when driving through Louisiana).  I've read that my out of state license is good for a few weeks after changing residency to FL, but I don't want to test this on the side of the road at 2am.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. We don't have a non-resident permit. In fact, there's no address on it.
Your driver's license (establishing residence) is what defines it.

This is where you change your address.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly. We don't have a non-resident permit. In fact, there's no address on it.
Your driver's license (establishing residence) is what defines it.

This is where you change your address.
View Quote

That's convenient!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Buddy of mine has no problem driving up from Ocala to shoot at GTR with me....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top