Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 1:16:44 AM EDT
A close friend of mine moved to Meridian a few months back and is looking to do some hunting within a year or so for the first time.
He was asking me what would be a good lube for the climate he has moved to.

I told him to sign up here and ask himself, but in the mean time, what do you all suggest? I know it will vary.....and I told him it would.

Any input, seems he is looking for advise for his AR and his Remington 700. For some reason he asked about the lows below freezing and close to 100*f as well as sand.

Funny part is that we have those temps here(but not for the duration). And I am going to make fun of him for the question....but we have been friends for too long.

Also the snow there is dry compared to the snow in CA.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Any lube like Break Free, Rem Oil, WD-40, Frog Lube etc. will work just fine up here.  Me personally I use Tetra Grease and Shooters Choice FP-10.

Idahos climate isn't quite extreme as others put it.  I'm near Boise and compared to where else I've lived, this is paradise climate wise.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
For my semi-scatter/duck killin shooter, I run Rem-oil a majority of the time.  But I have found with water, and single digits temps out duck hunting, the Rem-oil seems to possibly freeze up.  When I know I'm gonna be out in the inclement weather, I few liberal drops of Slip2000 work great.

For my duty pistol/rifle, Slip2000 all the way.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use ALG's lube for pretty much everything, both the purple and the VFG.  Pistols get Slide Glide light or medium or Slip2000.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve started using black rifle balm. They have a cold weather formula. Mountain hunting sure gets cold around here especially late season. Elk camp 3 weeks ago was around 0 F on the clear nights @ 7000’

Saw a thread /ama thing somewhere with the owner/head grease-mix-ologist or whatever he was. Lots of science in that stuff. Great product imo.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Slip 2000 here. It really isn't much of an issue any light lube in cold weather. That being said the only time I've run into a continuous shooting (hours of blasting) was on winter rabbits with a 10/22 which case I used Break Free but I'm sure anything else would have worked as well. Just don't stuff a hard grease in the Rem 700.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Only problems I've had is gun getting too dirty (22 lr) when it's cold.  Clean 22s work fine with slip 2000.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Had this stuff recommended by an Alaskan recently, great in the cold and/or wet.

Attachment Attached File

Just got some so I haven't had it in really bad weather yet.

Smells like a urinal cake.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Cherry Balmz

Tell him they have a large stock of it at Independence.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Mobile 1
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cherry Balmz
View Quote
I second this. Cherry Balmz is awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Slip 2000 EWL evaporates at over 1200° F and freezes at -59° F.

I should think it would do just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top