Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2020 7:59:10 PM EDT
New Mexicans, I posted a question about ccw laws in the dedicated thread, but haven’t gotten an answer.
I really hate to be a pest, but I’m struggling with a couple of questions.

1) I know that concealed carry is banned in NM State Parks.  Does this mean that concealed carry is therefore banned in National Parks within the State?

2) I plan to carry my pistol under my Florida CFL permit.  And New Mexico honors Florida’s permit.  BUT, does NM distinguish between resident and non-resident regarding the Florida CFL?  (I’m a resident of PA)  
Here’s a little wrinkle……..Florida does NOT list any address information about the permit holder on its permit!  So, in cases where a state does not honor a Florida non-resident, I guess it is up to the honor system as to whether or not one wants to claim Florida residency or fess up to being a non-resident.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
State and federal are different jurisdictions. If you are carrying in a federal park, I’d contact that office.
Have a great trip.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Right, so I went to the Chaco Canyon website and a concealed carry handgun is legal there (with the requisite CFL).

New Mexico is a bit puzzling because the usual rule is that ccw is legal in National Parks, Forests and Monuments in those states which issue such licenses.
But typically, ccw is legal in those same state's parks and forests.  Apparently, in NM, a state that issues ccw licenses, carry is legal in the Nationally controlled park areas even though it is not legal in the state controlled park areas.  I believe this is peculiar to NM (although there are probably some other states with a similar situation).

I have not been able to find any specifics regarding discrimination between resident and non-resident CFLs.  Although NM and Nebraska both specify that Florida's CWL/CFL is only valid for handguns.  (Florida's license covers  "weapons" other than handguns, knives, etc,; that's the CWL part).
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right, so I went to the Chaco Canyon website and a concealed carry handgun is legal there (with the requisite CFL).

New Mexico is a bit puzzling because the usual rule is that ccw is legal in National Parks, Forests and Monuments in those states which issue such licenses.
But typically, ccw is legal in those same state's parks and forests.  Apparently, in NM, a state that issues ccw licenses, carry is legal in the Nationally controlled park areas even though it is not legal in the state controlled park areas.  I believe this is peculiar to NM (although there are probably some other states with a similar situation).

I have not been able to find any specifics regarding discrimination between resident and non-resident CFLs.  Although NM and Nebraska both specify that Florida's CWL/CFL is only valid for handguns.  (Florida's license covers  "weapons" other than handguns, knives, etc,; that's the CWL part).
View Quote

nmdps.org will be your safest source of information.

Us 'shithouse lawyers' will just get you incarcerated with frivolous information.

I carry concealed, with 'concealed' being the key-word, anywhere and everywhere I go.  The Doctor's office is the only place that actually knows I carry, as the old sawbones carries himself.  Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Carry on, Troop.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
dps.nm.gov says that reciprocity exists between NM and FL...........period.
This is as of 1/1/20.

I'm just gonna go with that.
As long as that info is on their own website, and I'm not carrying in any banned location; tribal land/pueblo, store selling alcohol, etc., how much trouble can I get into? (always a stupid question )

(I'll check the site next year to double check for any changes in the law).
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Carry in state parks is legal with a CCW permit. At State Monuments, CCW is not legal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that clarification, MrHiggs.

I do plan on doing some camping, although as of right now, it seems that NM State Parks are only open for use by NM residents (due to C19 restrictions).

Hopefully, this situation will improve by next year.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Ignore gun laws and ignore Covid restrictions. Welcome to New Mexico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top