Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2023 7:26:22 AM EDT
Obviously, since I don't trust luggage monkeys, I only have a carry-on and I have no weapon like a gun nor a knife.

What are my quick and legal options to have some kind of self defense hardware?  Mind you, I'm only in town for several days and I'm going back the same way so I'd like a cheap and disposable method that I can just toss on my way to the airport.

Buy a knife at Walmart? What is legal to carry?
Kubaton? Steel pen? Sharp stick?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you're landing at LAX and spending those several days in South Central?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you're landing at LAX and spending those several days in South Central?
View Quote

Lol. No, not quite. SFO and Bay area.

Funny you mention SC. Years ago, getting lost in Compton, like unable to get out for over a couple hours because everything is landlocked, is what prompted us to finally switch to smartphones.

Let's just say I don't like being nekkid in CA.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You got lost in Compton and you're worried about the Bay Area!?!?!?

Sounds like you're going into Oakland.  Play it safe and maybe pick up a folding knife from anywhere, Walmart, Autozone, etc.  Nothing too fancy because you can drop it in the trash before hitting TSA.  A good one inch diameter aluminum flashlight comes in handy as a grip and will not feel good coming down on a joint or skull.  $10 from Home Depot, Lowe's probably has something similar, and you can keep it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Energizer-TAC-300-LED-Tactical-Metal-Flashlight-300-Lumens-ENPMHT1L/313811534#overlay
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Go buy a cheap folding knife.  Fixed blades have more relies to follow.  Also where in the bay will you be.  If you are anywhere in the peninsula I would be more worried about being run over by a Tesla than robbed.  If you are in SF just don’t leave anything in a car and stay out of the bad neighborhoods, you’re probably better off running away than trying to defend yourself in the city with any weapon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TFXQQ1W?tag=arfcom00-20

I bought one of these for my wife to carry in her purse, she can explain it away easy enough.

In CA, you can carry any length fixed blade knife, on your belt as long as it's not concealed. No switchblades, butterfly, kubotan, brass knuckles...

A spring assisted knife is okay, spydie hole, thumbstud...
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a number of good knife shops that carry small fixed blade knives.  Buy one and just before you leave mail it home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all. Reading so many sites that just confuse the issue about knives. I'll probably get a couple small blades.  At least no nekkid.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course y ou do realize that even in large cities your chances of being victimized are slim.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Having gotten off of many planes in many places in California unarmed and then immediately killed, I suspect you aren’t even going to have time to make it to a Walmart.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Folding knife and pepper spray.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Practice good situational awareness.  If you have a rental car, don't leave anything inside.

Look for a Big 5 Sporting Goods store for knives.  Folding knives are gtg.  Pepper spray as an option, but you'll have harder time disposing of it before you leave.

I like to think a small high lumen light is a good distractor to break contact if needed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I only had a problem once after getting off of an airplane.  I got off one at Travis, rode a bus to SFO and was going to get on another plane.  While releaving myself I was approached by a couple of locals.  They decided they wanted my wallet.  Now this was before a lot of airport restrictions.  One of the individuals decided to convince me to comply with his knife.  Shortly thereafter the local airport cops came around and decided the guy in the new civis and short hair should be arrested for sending the two innocent locals to the hospital.

Not even 24 hours home and in more trouble than I'd been in in many previous months.  But eventually someone figured out that the guys with long arrest records were probably the offenders.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngom9L8CKkU
And apparently, you can carry it on the plane and pretty much anywhere...
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Tourists Warned Not To Rent Cars In San Francisco To Epidemic Of Auto Break-Ins

car break ins seem to be the thing in San Fran, besides the poop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top