Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2018 9:16:54 PM EDT
Long story short: I need to get roof work done, but have been disappointed with every roofer I've contacted so far for the Alamogordo area.

If you want to read how this has progressed up to this point, here is the original thread.

Since then, I have received no less than 5 recommendations; upon contacting them, I have received these in return:

a) no response
b) "we don't do duplexes"
c) an estimate that is $1,600 above what USAA wrote me a check for
d) a reasonable estimate, followed less than 24 hours later by "oh, we didn't know we needed to pull stamped architect/engineers plans for a duplex (it's a new rule, apparently), so we're adding $500+ to your estimate!" [which set off my BS detector, as I've seen my share of stories about roofer rip-off ploys]

TL, DR I need this work done.  I am willing to pay, but I am not willing to get duped (that happened once already).  What the heck can I do?  I've contacted Rhino Roofing, Delta, Berrones Roofing, First Choice, Sun City, and Wigfall.  I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to go cash-only, if you know what I mean.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry they didn't work out.
You might check with the insurance company and see what they advise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sorry they didn't work out.
You might check with the insurance company and see what they advise.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestions all the same.

At this point I am willing to try anything.  I have even thought about contacting the nearby Lowe's or Home Depot and see if they can work it.

I even checked out material pricing in case I want to go do it myself.  If making it a DIY project will save me the equivalent of a week's pay (versus some of these probably-overblown estimates), I would gladly take time off work to do it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
hire illegals to "DIY" and pocket the rest of the cash?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
hire illegals to "DIY" and pocket the rest of the cash?
View Quote
It HAS crossed my mind.

I am very seriously considering the DIY route anyway now by this point.  1,600 feet of shingles (16 square) costs a little over $1,100...if the total material/garbage disposal costs subtracted from my insurance payout equals or surpasses a week's income at my job (construction electrician), I may just drive down there and do this whole thing myself (with maybe one helper)!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I've made up my mind: when the tenant leaves this month, I AM going to go there and personally take care of the roof work.  I might as well since it's my house and it's something I should get experience in anyway, right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Something's you do yourself, something's you have a contractor do.
When dealing with rentals, do as much as you can yourself.
View Quote
Thank you for the advice...I have laid out plans and am actually headed out there this very weekend.  It's a 9-hour drive from OKC but I think the dollar savings (and the experience as a whole) will be good for me.

The wife and kids are coming too because the kids have never seen the house.  Family-project-outing-roadtrip!  

Edit:  Weather outlook through Monday doesn't appear to be the best but I expect/hope to be able to be productive nonetheless- plus, I don't really have any other options as far as timing is concerned!    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top