Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 6:29:43 AM EDT
Well not really.  It found me.  Our neighbor contacted us because she wasn't physically able to rack the slide on her gun anymore and wanted to get a new .380 that was easier to handle.  She took her 9mm to the pawn shop and they offered her $150.  She knew we had some experience with guns and wanted our opinion.  I looked at her nine and it was a blued S&W 469 in pretty good shape.  It had some wear on the sharp edges and stuff from being stored and handled but hadn't been shot very much in it's life.  I offered her $200 and she accepted.  She bought her new gun today and brought the Smith over to me.

I was a little hesitant at first because the 469's have a bobbed hammer and I'm not a fan of that feature for this gun.  When I opened the gun rug I was surprised to see that someone, at some point in the guns life, had swapped the bobbed hammer out for a standard version *YAY*!!!!!  So I had been hoping to get a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact because I like the SA/DA guns but didn't really have the extra money for one.  This one is a smallish SA/DA that holds 12+1 and not too heavy (steel slide and aluminum frame) so it scratches the itch for now.  It was low enough I could afford it and high enough to get her just enough money to buy the gun she could handle so it worked out for both of us.

It feels pretty good except for the slick grip panels.  I wish Pachmayr still made grips for these.  Trigger is good in DA and really good in SA with a very short reset. I have to find a few more magazines still. I'm looking forward to seeing how she shoots.  If it shoots well and proves to be as reliable as it should be I may start carrying it.  I'm no expert on these 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Smiths other than having owned a Gen 1 Model 59 many years ago (that I really liked) but I think I did well.

Photo is a little fuzzy for some reason.  My phone usually takes much clearer pics, I dunno what happened.

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well not really.  It found me.  Our neighbor contacted us because she wasn't physically able to rack the slide on her gun anymore and wanted to get a new .380 that was easier to handle.  She took her 9mm to the pawn shop and they offered her $150.  She knew we had some experience with guns and wanted our opinion.  I looked at her nine and it was a blued S&W 469 in pretty good shape.  It had some wear on the sharp edges and stuff from being stored and handled but hadn't been shot very much in it's life.  I offered her $200 and she accepted.  She bought her new gun today and brought the Smith over to me.

I was a little hesitant at first because the 469's have a bobbed hammer and I'm not a fan of that feature for this gun.  When I opened the gun rug I was surprised to see that someone, at some point in the guns life, had swapped the bobbed hammer out for a standard version *YAY*!!!!!  So I had been hoping to get a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact because I like the SA/DA guns but didn't really have the extra money for one.  This one is a smallish SA/DA that holds 12+1 and not too heavy (steel slide and aluminum frame) so it scratches the itch for now.  It was low enough I could afford it and high enough to get her just enough money to buy the gun she could handle so it worked out for both of us.

It feels pretty good except for the slick grip panels.  I wish Pachmayr still made grips for these.  Trigger is good in DA and really good in SA with a very short reset. I have to find a few more magazines still. I'm looking forward to seeing how she shoots.  If it shoots well and proves to be as reliable as it should be I may start carrying it.  I'm no expert on these 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Smiths other than having owned a Gen 1 Model 59 many years ago (that I really liked) but I think I did well.

Photo is a little fuzzy for some reason.  My phone usually takes much clearer pics, I dunno what happened.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49467936587_b3841fcfdf_k.jpg
View Quote

It looks like you got a little Giddy. That's a good little pistol I think you will learn to like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top