Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 10:00:43 AM EDT
We’re at just over a year living in Florida and are on our first trip to the Keys.  I know that area east of Naples off I-75 is part of the Everglades area parks and preserves.  But what’s up with the high barbed wire fence on both sides of the interstate?  I’ve been through a lot of state and national parks from coast to coast but never seen anything more than a low fence off the primary roads.  Most of the time there’s nothing at all.  So what gives?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciated Osprey.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're most welcome.
View Quote
Damn....you're in a cheery demeanor today!
As usual.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Day's alot more fences than wat youse just seen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep the Deer, Florida Panther, Alligators and Critters off the highway...

Unpleasant to hit a Deer or Alligator at 80 MPH in the dead of night on I 75...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep the Deer, Florida Panther, Alligators and Critters off the highway...

Unpleasant to hit a Deer or Alligator at 80 MPH in the dead of night on I 75...
View Quote
Plus the fence helps keep the cars out of the canal.

I had a scanner many years ago before the fence.

Cars would go into the canal at night and the cops would call for divers.

Divers would show up and shine a flashlight in the water and say,"Nope, not me."
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The fence also has sensors so they know when a vehicle breaks through and where it is so they can send help right away.  In the past if someone didn't see it happen they might not know until morning, if at all, when someone went off into the canals.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The sensors are a great idea. I've lost count of the calls where a vehicle was seen running off of I-75 going into woods.

If it goes into the foliage along the interstate you can pretty much forget seeing it alot of times. That stuff will swallow it up just like quicksand.

Many many times the only way we've found the vehicles is from the tire marks only.

Because you could not see the vehicle or an entry point. The plants just close right up behind the cars.

Also something you may not realize. The roads ways are inadated with fire ants. You almost can not walk into the grass without stepping on to a fire ant mounds.

Those things are horrible. They are more prominent along the sides of the road than the middle medians. They are there to but much more worse on the sides of the roads.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck that shit, glad I never had to worry about fire ants on an MVA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top