Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 9:29:18 PM EDT
Didn’t want to hijack the other thread on HSV.

Looks like the wife, kids and I are going to be headed in that way in the next 30 days or so.

I accepted a position out on the arsenal working for a contractor.

My in laws have been there for awhile now so we have some contacts there already.  We’ll be staying with them out in Athens for the interim until we can get settled in.

I know there’s a few other members in the HSV area. Anyone on the arsenal?  I know it’s a big place but would be neat to meet some local ar15 guys to start.

Looking forward to heading that way.

Boomer sooner!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome
The other thread has some good info in it. We're glad to have you, and have another (temporary) Athens-area resident (lived in Athens my entire life).
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll like the area. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Look me up if you want to do some backwater kayaking or canoeing. I've got three kayaks and three canoes and take folks out whenever i can.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Didn't want to hijack the other thread on HSV.

Looks like the wife, kids and I are going to be headed in that way in the next 30 days or so.

I accepted a position out on the arsenal working for a contractor.

My in laws have been there for awhile now so we have some contacts there already.  We'll be staying with them out in Athens for the interim until we can get settled in.

I know there's a few other members in the HSV area. Anyone on the arsenal?  I know it's a big place but would be neat to meet some local ar15 guys to start.

Looking forward to heading that way.

Boomer sooner!!
View Quote
@Pangea is probably Arfcom's most notorious SME on Redstone/MSFC.  I used to be when I worked on Space Station, but that was +14 years ago.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm on the NASA side of the arsenal. It's a great place with deer hunting available if that's something you like. The facility also rents boats, campers, huge BBQ pits on wheels, and all kinds of other stuff. There is two boat launches into the Tennessee River on this facility as well as a very nice camp ground with a kids playground and bath house.

Two skeet shooting facilities are open to members  and there is a auto maintenance shop you can use, carpentry shop, and metal working shop with mills, lathes, welding machines.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm on the NASA side of the arsenal. It's a great place with deer hunting available if that's something you like. The facility also rents boats, campers, huge BBQ pits on wheels, and all kinds of other stuff. There is two boat launches into the Tennessee River on this facility as well as a very nice camp ground with a kids playground and bath house.

Two skeet shooting facilities are open to members  and there is a auto maintenance shop you can use, carpentry shop, and metal working shop with mills, lathes, welding machines.

View Quote
All of this is on the arsenal?  Guess I didn’t realize how big it was.

I’ll be on the AMCOM side/area
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Say when. I'll buy you lunch at the food truck court.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Which PM are you supporting? I was in Apache for 8 yrs, moved to MASPO
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which PM are you supporting? I was in Apache for 8 yrs, moved to MASPO
View Quote
G6/CIO on ITSS. Everything I’ve heard has been great so far!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Give it a look on google maps satellite view. It's pretty huge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Several members work there.
View Quote
And some of us work in Research Park...

j/s

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The last time I checked they were still working on the sleet ranges.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were shooting at the one on Tiros st. recently.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MWR told me they were still working on them...
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one on tiros is not an mwr range, it is a NASA owned range as far as I know.

The mwr ranges were still not open last time I checked a couple months ago, they claim "soon".  As I'm told the delay is due to the unrelated work being done downrange - it is behind schedule.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I miss the days when the MARS Skeet Club had an FFL and we could buy long guns for dealer cost, powder and primers and ammo for distributor cost with no hazmat fee. Dealer cost on reloaders, and almost any sporting good.

The handgun Club for handguns at dealer cost.

All gone now due to some nancypants worried about "Oh my god NASA is selling guns"!

I hear that you can still buy long guns at the BX if you qualify to shop there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
All my paperwork is submitted.

Loading my family up over the next two weeks. I’ll be down there on Saturday the 13th.  Hoping to start work on the 15th but pending some DoD things that are taking 30-40 days or so right now. May be a few days later when I start.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just in time for hunting season, if you are in to that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Always something I’ve wanted to do, but never done. I do have a rifle for it though!
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All my paperwork is submitted.

Loading my family up over the next two weeks. I'll be down there on Saturday the 13th.  Hoping to start work on the 15th but pending some DoD things that are taking 30-40 days or so right now. May be a few days later when I start.
View Quote
Whereabouts did you decide to move to?  Hsv, Madison, Decatur, Athens, somewhere else?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Whereabouts did you decide to move to?  Hsv, Madison, Decatur, Athens, somewhere else?
View Quote
Gonna stay with my in laws for a bit until we decide further. They’re in Athens at canebrake.  Looks like. Should plan for a decent drive into the arsenal everyday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gonna stay with my in laws for a bit until we decide further. They’re in Athens at canebrake.  Looks like. Should plan for a decent drive into the arsenal everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try to get in the gate before 7 in the morning and out by 3 in the afternoon if you can.  That west bound 565 in the 4-6 evening time is a parking lot and the gates stack up bad in the mornings after about 6:30.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't mind going out with ya..

Vic
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind going out with ya..

Vic
View Quote
Give me a call - I'd go too. He might as well see the worst right off and get it over with.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Say when. I'll buy you lunch at the food truck court.
View Quote
This.  The arsenal food trucks are a good thing.

Life is good out here in HSV.  PM me when you get in, will hand you one of my "free visit" tokens to Bullet and Barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome!  You guys are great. I’ll hit you all up. I’ll be in town Saturday evening.  It’s a decent drive with a uhaul from OK.  Expecting it to take me all day so Sunday will probably be my first “day” out there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
One thing you ought to know before you head into Redstone Arsenal or Marshall Space Flight Center.

No firearms, ammunition, explosives, or knives with a blade over 3 inches.

Kind of odd because you can bring a shotgun in to shoot skeet or hunt.

Hands free cell phone use only too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#28]
If you need a new ID / CAC arrive early at the One Stop!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One thing you ought to know before you head into Redstone Arsenal or Marshall Space Flight Center.

No firearms, ammunition, explosives, or knives with a blade over 3 inches.

Kind of odd because you can bring a shotgun in to shoot skeet or hunt.

Hands free cell phone use only too.
View Quote
That is peculiar.  But I figured this would be the case.  I was wondering about firearms left in the car but it seems it will need to stay at home.

Still waiting to hear on my paperwork.  They said it was taking ~40 Days or so.

Looking forward to a something new!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you need a new ID / CAC arrive early at the One Stop!
View Quote
True that. They open at 0800 and by 0815 were filled up for the day. Turned away about 40 people in line. They process 100 per day. Last time wife and I had ID cards renewed we arrived at 0615 and there were already 30-40 people in line. We were finished at 1330.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you find job openings ? I'm looking to move south
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
usajobs.gov

Jacobs Engineering

The Boeing Company

Lockheed Martin

Teledyne

Raytheon

Dynetics

Blue Origin coming soon

Just about every aerospace and engineering company in the country has interests in Huntsville Alabama.

Indeed> aerospace
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Feds cleared me.  Came in this afternoon. I should be in base for my CAC Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Feds cleared me.  Came in this afternoon. I should be in base for my CAC Tuesday.
View Quote
Congratulations! get there early.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top