Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2019 10:48:14 PM EDT
We are PCSing to Fort Riley, and very excited about it.  Brother did 4 years there, and our visits left us with good vibes from the area- small, quiet, a good place to retire... and thats what I intend to do!

I see from google images that Riley appears to have a good deer management program- but are these photos just some randoms that make the hunting look as good?  Deer season is a big part of my families tradition, and I'd really hate to see that be put on hold for the next few years!  And, are elk tags really that hard to get?

If you have any insight you can share, please PM me and maybe we can talk on the phone or something- I am not really looking for a paid/hunt ranch type gig either- just post/public land.  We take our 1-2 deer a year and fill our freezer- not a "trophy" hunter.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is some public land to the west of Riley.  I had a good friend who rented a house out to the west of Riley and was able to hunt that public land (and was successful).

Also, KS has numerous walk in hunting areas.  Those areas are private lands that are accessible to hunters (generally from the first of SEP through the last day of spring turkey season).  Those areas don't cost a thing to hunt (outside of your license).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, made it to Riley.... small town life for sure, but very happy with the area- seen some deer already on post, but was informed the hunting isnt so great- think the locals are tryin to keep it a secret!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top