Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2022 5:23:23 PM EDT
Yay or nay?  Big talk about securing the border...
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Huffines has some money to put up bill boards and run TV ads. But some of his points Abbott has already done like border security. Huffines wants to do away with property taxes, but the Governor is not a dictator and something like doing away with property taxes will require a lot of work out of the legislature. Just fixing property taxes will require a bit of work.

Abbott can easily beat Bob the Fake Mexican, I don’t think anyone else in the Republican primary can easily.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Love to know his plan to fund Texas if he does away with property taxes

https://donhuffines.com/property-taxes/

Oh wait, he does not have one. And neither does Allen West:

https://west4texas.com/Issues/#property
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Doing away with property tax without an income tax is just about impossible. Just fixing the property tax problem is going to be a lot of work to keep it close to fair.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
He’s is one creepy looking dude.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
pass. dude is a politician, speaks like a politician and politicians are something we need less of. going with Chad Prather
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Doing away with property tax without an income tax is just about impossible. Just fixing the property tax problem is going to be a lot of work to keep it close to fair.
View Quote

not really, it's pretty simple. Local CPA magazine I get did a whole write up on it showing how just several counties in texas spend over 500 million dollars a year in property tax enforcement alone. Cut that out, the sales and use tax, franchise tax an all that enforcement payroll down to one single end point sales tax and problem is solved very quickly. Benefits include the magic ability to charge illegals and stop penalizing people who pay off their home. A sales tax doesn't care if you're in the country illegally, you buy something you pay it. It also doesn't allow for corruption like the Williamson County appraisal district who was caught raising home values 50-75k on every house on a single street except the house that was the appraisers friend and/or cousin. The sales/use tax and Franchise tax are ridiculous and need to be abolished.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huffines has some money to put up bill boards and run TV ads. But some of his points Abbott has already done like border security. Huffines wants to do away with property taxes, but the Governor is not a dictator and something like doing away with property taxes will require a lot of work out of the legislature. Just fixing property taxes will require a bit of work.

Abbott can easily beat Bob the Fake Mexican, I don’t think anyone else in the Republican primary can easily.
View Quote

not understanding the logic here.  abbott hasn't done any border security lol. he does a lot of show like he's doing border security, but nothing long term or actually beneficial. The govenor can continue to call special sessions until the legislatures fix the problem. After abbotts near total destruction of texas in 2020 and his colossal power grid failure of 2021 due to his green energy pet projects and piss poor ercot board management, he will not be re-elected. I can't tell you how many long time conservatives i personally know who will never vote for abbott, even in the face of francis. Forcing family to watch loved ones die in nursing homes through a window while the staff comes and goes to their families will do that to you. You also can't go around shutting down churches while leaving home depot open - you look like a dumbass when you tell people they can't congregate but instead can all go to the same 2 places - Home Depot or Lowes. F*# abbott
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not really, it's pretty simple. Local CPA magazine I get did a whole write up on it showing how just several counties in texas spend over 500 million dollars a year in property tax enforcement alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
not really, it's pretty simple. Local CPA magazine I get did a whole write up on it showing how just several counties in texas spend over 500 million dollars a year in property tax enforcement alone.

Really? What counties are those? I live in Collin, one of the wealthier counties, and the total county spending budget last year was only $189m.

Quoted:

Cut that out, the sales and use tax, franchise tax an all that enforcement payroll down to one single end point sales tax and problem is solved very quickly. Benefits include the magic ability to charge illegals and stop penalizing people who pay off their home. A sales tax doesn't care if you're in the country illegally, you buy something you pay it. It also doesn't allow for corruption like the Williamson County appraisal district who was caught raising home values 50-75k on every house on a single street except the house that was the appraisers friend and/or cousin. The sales/use tax and Franchise tax are ridiculous and need to be abolished.

A single sales tax to raise $120b a year + school funding? That would be what 60%? Glad I am near the border and could shop in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

not understanding the logic here.  abbott hasn't done any border security lol. he does a lot of show like he's doing border security, but nothing long term or actually beneficial. The govenor can continue to call special sessions until the legislatures fix the problem. After abbotts near total destruction of texas in 2020 and his colossal power grid failure of 2021 due to his green energy pet projects and piss poor ercot board management, he will not be re-elected. I can't tell you how many long time conservatives i personally know who will never vote for abbott, even in the face of francis. Forcing family to watch loved ones die in nursing homes through a window while the staff comes and goes to their families will do that to you. You also can't go around shutting down churches while leaving home depot open - you look like a dumbass when you tell people they can't congregate but instead can all go to the same 2 places - Home Depot or Lowes. F*# abbott
View Quote

I'm with you, but if francis was gov right now we would still be shut down. So that thought process isn't helpful.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm with you, but if francis was gov right now we would still be shut down. So that thought process isn't helpful.
View Quote

Pretty much this. You can dislike him all you want. Do you hate him so much that you would really prefer Beta? What do think he would have done as Governor?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really? What counties are those? I live in Collin, one of the wealthier counties, and the total county spending budget last year was only $189m.

A single sales tax to raise $120b a year + school funding? That would be what 60%? Glad I am near the border and could shop in Oklahoma.
View Quote

Texas would then have to set up our own Customs offices all across the perimeter for returning Texans to declare & pay those taxes ...

Visiting Oklahoma?  Any legal Pot, Indian Cigarettes or Non-Texas purchased goods we should know about??

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

not really, it's pretty simple. Local CPA magazine I get did a whole write up on it showing how just several counties in texas spend over 500 million dollars a year in property tax enforcement alone. Cut that out, the sales and use tax, franchise tax an all that enforcement payroll down to one single end point sales tax and problem is solved very quickly. Benefits include the magic ability to charge illegals and stop penalizing people who pay off their home. A sales tax doesn't care if you're in the country illegally, you buy something you pay it. It also doesn't allow for corruption like the Williamson County appraisal district who was caught raising home values 50-75k on every house on a single street except the house that was the appraisers friend and/or cousin. The sales/use tax and Franchise tax are ridiculous and need to be abolished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first go around in politics was Prop 13 in California that stopped the constant raising of property taxes. Many seniors were getting priced out of their homes that were paid for by property taxes. What Prop 13 did was fix the property taxes based on what you paid for a house at 1%. Now in Texas that is not enough but if it was a fixed 2-4% of what you paid for the property and would continue at the same amount until you sold it, then you would not get the yearly sticker shock. One option I have heard that interested was a sales tax on property, and a fixed yearly property tax. This would have to be on commercial buildings too that pay a lot less property taxes that home owners.

If you dump financing the state all on sales tax you would have a rate of close to 16-18% and that would be on everything including food and medicine. If not you get stuck with a state income tax, and in California it is 13% and if you think the IRS is a pack of assholes, the California Francise Tax Board is a million times worse. If they don’t like the amount your CPA says you owe in state income tax you either pay what they think you owe or they raid your bank accounts for it.

No matter what Texas does someone ox will get gored. The one area I look at is a home owner should never be taxed out of his primary residence and the last thing Texas needs is any sort of income taxes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to go down to the border and see what Abbott has done. Both Huffines and West are huge fucking liars about the border. Abbott had to raise the funds to start on the wall and that required the legislature to approve funding. Huffines and West have no idea on the federal restrictions have on governors enforcing border security. The Feds (Pedo Joe) fucked Texas by not selling Texas the walls that were all ready built and stacked up since 1/20 when Pedo Joe stopped all construction.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
pass. dude is a politician, speaks like a politician and politicians are something we need less of. going with Chad Prather
View Quote

Chad is polling around 1% right now.  He is a breath of fresh air at times but too many people see this as a publicity stunt like Kinky Freidman's first run and not anything serious.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a lot of money that wants to keep the current system, including local governments that love the automatic increases every year.  I'm skeptical something can get done and I haven't seen any of my reps willing to push the issue.  If you've got something going i'd be glad to listen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's a lot of money that wants to keep the current system, including local governments that love the automatic increases every year.  I'm skeptical something can get done and I haven't seen any of my reps willing to push the issue.  If you've got something going i'd be glad to listen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gets most people is they have no idea what their property taxes will be. The county appraisal board do an educated guess what they think the property is worth. Now at least the state prevents excessive rates by both county and school districts. Travis county and AISD wanted to increase there property tax rate by 7%. The state limited them to 3%. But that still does not fix the appraisal. Yes home values do go up, much of my property has doubled in value but I don’t see it until I sell it.

I would rather see a ‘sales tax’ on the property when you buy it and then have a fixed property tax as long as you own the property.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a LOT of Gov-daddy jobs that would go away.  Never going to happen.  When is the last time you heard of .gov getting any smaller?  

I agree that property taxes are forcible rape, they are out of hand, and the appraisers simply raise the values arbitrarily and often to meet an ever-growing hunger at the county levels...but they aren't about to cut state/county jobs...not in our lifetime, without a war.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top