Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 11:08:34 PM EDT
Obviously the passed strategy did not work, even with a great candidate like Astorino. This time I don't even know who is running, but there is a way of beating the scumbag.

The only path to victory is to energize the Upstate. The candidate should not spend much time and money in NYC or Westchester or Long Island. We will are energized against FUAC anyway. He should be constantly touring Upstate counties, talking to people, having rallies. Make commercials showing a contrast between filthy rich NYC and desolate Upstate. Jobs are leaving, infrastructure is decaying throughout the State and NYC folks are drinking, partying etc. Run these things constantly. Run commercials explaining the statistics, giving percentages of voters who participated in the last gubernatorial election and explaining that the big turnout will lead to a victory over the hated NYC. Make upstaters understand that they can win and how they can win. Position himself as an "Upstate candidate". If he is smart and runs an anti-NYC campaign, he can and will win.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/NY-Governors-Race/9-620933/

Andy won last time because of NYC. There is simply not enough votes left upstate anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If people outside of the city would have gotten off their asses and actually voted the last time Astorino could have won. If upstate/gun owners were to ever get interested and some of the city stays home it would be a landslide victory. Unfortunately I don't know if it will ever happen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If people outside of the city would have gotten off their asses and actually voted the last time Astorino could have won. If upstate/gun owners were to ever get interested and some of the city stays home it would be a landslide victory. Unfortunately I don't know if it will ever happen.
View Quote
Yes, but I know gun owners who are rabid libs. Fuds! Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun owners vote as a block?  *snort* good one.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Not just gun owners, upstaters in general. The candidate would need to position himself not as a Republican, but as an Upstate advocate and explain that he would concentrate on helping the Upstate counties and that NYC is the enemy. This will resonate with all segments of population in economically depressed areas.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is true both ways .  If every gun owner in the state voted to oust the prick in 14, he'd be gone now.

But there are too many who are content in thinking their model 70s, and shotguns are not being targeted (yet)

Plus there's the millions of retards who actually think he's a good person.  So there's that too.

We're phucked
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The only path to victory is to energize the Upstate. The candidate should not spend much time and money in NYC or Westchester or Long Island.
View Quote
Actually, Suffolk voted for Trump so he or she could visit once or twice in western Suffolk to include some of the Nassau republican/conservative voters.
The candidate could not just write off complete areas.  He needs a great strategy and team to research where people are living mostly republican/conservative.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Rob Astorino had some name recognition at least. The current crop of candidates are unknown to most of the voters.A Republican or Conservative candidate should have been making themselves known two years ago and making waves about the current state of affairs in Albany on a semi weekly basis so the general public will at least know who they are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a math problem and the numbers simply do not add up. A Republican candidate needs to get 30 percent of the vote in NYC to even have a chance at winning the governor’s race.

Meanwhile, since 2010, for every new Republican voter added to the rolls, there have been 4.6 New Democrats.

It’s likely no Republican will win the governor’s race ever again without some fundamental change in the political landscape of NYS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The candidate will need to appeal to voters across party lines. Notice Republican candidates discussing marijuana legalization? That’s a very important issue to voters, just as 2A is to other voters.

DeFrancisco may have a shot at energizing Upstate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Almost zero name recognition with any of the declared candidates and even less in campaign dollars.  It's a loss waiting to happen.  One of the Trump kids should run.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
DeFrancisco is about the only one who stands a chance with name recognition out of the current crop
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
A successful R candidate would have to convince people that it is worth their time to register in advance and show up to vote on election day. The end.

I have encountered far too many people who bitch about the ways of Albany and the extremely negative impact the NYS swamp has on their lives. Then election days rolls around. I'll make a politically neutral comment about getting up early to go vote before work, or ask people if they had been to the polls yet.

I'd say in any setting, roughly 8 out of 10 will shrug and tell me that they don't vote, they've never voted, they haven't voted in years, it's a waste of time, they forgot it was election day, or there just isn't any point in voting. It is simply not a priority.

The candidate who finds a way to motivate these people might, MIGHT stand a chance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A successful R candidate would have to convince people that it is worth their time to register in advance and show up to vote on election day. The end.

I have encountered far too many people who bitch about the ways of Albany and the extremely negative impact the NYS swamp has on their lives. Then election days rolls around. I'll make a politically neutral comment about getting up early to go vote before work, or ask people if they had been to the polls yet.

I'd say in any setting, roughly 8 out of 10 will shrug and tell me that they don't vote, they've never voted, they haven't voted in years, it's a waste of time, they forgot it was election day, or there just isn't any point in voting. It is simply not a priority.

The candidate who finds a way to motivate these people might, MIGHT stand a chance.
View Quote
You are 100% correct. And the way to energize Upstate is to convince them that NYC is their enemy and the new Governor will be the Upstate Governor that will oppose NYC at all costs. People will understand this and will vote. Now they feel abandoned, the candidate has to make them feel important and give them hope
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Last November where I moved to in PA only about 360 people voted in my local polling place.  Many candidates where within just a few votes. Literally if my family and 2 or 3 of my neighbors did or didn't vote it could have completely changed the outcome. This is what I explain to people when I tell them to vote. It makes a major difference in your local elections and adds up for the larger races.  Also, they asked me for ID because it was my first time voting here and the local representatives where there to answer questions about where they stand on policies and issues. I have never been asked for ID or met a representative while voting in NY.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys are nuts if you think any of the 5 Burroughs with the exception of Staten Island will vote for anyone running with an R next to their name.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You guys are nuts if you think any of the 5 Burroughs with the exception of Staten Island will vote for anyone running with an R next to their name.
View Quote
Point is, the voting percentage in the city is minute. If the Upstate has a big turnout, we can win.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Point is, the voting percentage in the city is minute. If the Upstate has a big turnout, we can win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said the same thing in 2014.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I said the same thing in 2014.
View Quote
Well the if part was right, problem was they didn't. Who knows, maybe Trump has motivated people to some extent this time. If I recall last time it was pretty solidly divided between upstate and downstate with the exception of the liberal cities (ROC,SYR etc)
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is true both ways .  If every gun owner in the state voted to oust the prick in 14, he'd be gone now.

But there are too many who are content in thinking their model 70s, and shotguns are not being targeted (yet)

Plus there's the millions of retards who actually think he's a good person.  So there's that too.

We're phucked
View Quote
Its been reported the lowest (one of) voting demographic are "Hunters"
As a method of expressing my views, I subscribe as a consituant to the FB pages of upchuck, jilly-bean, andyboy, etc. and the gushing over manyof these is sickening, worst yet if you call them out on their policies, you're insulted and/or labled a troll or bot....so muich for enguaging conversation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I always think back to the first time Spitzer ran. I spent the week before the election upstate bow hunting,  I only went home the night before so I could vote. It seemed like almost every commercial break on TV there was an ad for Spitzer (scaring the crap out of the seniors mostly, but just scare ads in general).  The night before the election I finally saw one single commercial for his opponent.

Jesus Christ himself couldn't win against that.

Point being, there's no need to point fingers, that's like blaming one player when your whole team sucks. Our whole team sucks, our minor leagues and farm system suck.  Or our team doesn't suck because it doesn't really exist.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Andy won last time because of NYC. There is simply not enough votes left upstate anymore.
View Quote
Bill Nojay debunked that theory.  Too many lazy fucks all over that never bothered to vote is the issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bill Nojay debunked that theory.  Too many lazy fucks all over that never bothered to vote is the issue.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well the if part was right, problem was they didn't. Who knows, maybe Trump has motivated people to some extent this time. If I recall last time it was pretty solidly divided between upstate and downstate with the exception of the liberal cities (ROC,SYR etc)
View Quote
The laughable part is the liberal cities are going down the shitter with Cuomo's policies that are killing up state.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There was some poll last month and 80% of NYers don't know who he is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DeFrancisco is about the only one who stands a chance with name recognition out of the current crop
There was some poll last month and 80% of NYers don't know who he is
Then that needs to be fixed. He has time to get out and gain recognition. Cuomo will likely have a primary opponent that will drag his poor management of upstate to the forefront. Defransica needs to be all over this. Early and often.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong. NYC turns out at about 27% in off year elections. As the previous poster stated if the lazy fuck gun owners stopped at the polls instead of the bar we’d be free of the Bolshevik Wop.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in a gun shop talking about the importance of the upcoming election and urging people to vote. One guy had no idea there was an election and asked me when it was... the day before polls opened in the gubernatorial race between Astorino and Princess. I'm guessing he didn't bother hitting the polls based on his lack of excitement or interest. But I'm certain he enjoyed the "long day of shooting" his purchase of .30-30 "box of shells" afforded him.

ETA: I won't place blame entirely on .30-30 guy's shoulders for that; Astorino didn't really have the money to run a lot of ads against Cuomo and Cuomo (probably cleverly) didn't bother running ads either as to remind people his job was on the line.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know two Republicans who still admit publicly they support Trump
View Quote
I take you are saying that no one supports trump? I think the recent pay increase that over 85% of Americans are seeing might paint a different picture. Granted NY is a different beast due to the SALT tax issue, but even with that my lukewarm democrat relatives on my dads side are actually more Supportive of trump at this point than they were during the election.

Even for all the negatives the Man brings to the table, he has at least done enough to say he fulfilled some promises (in my eyes anyway.) still waiting on the wall but I'm not optimistic and never was. If Ruth Ginsberg happens to croak in the next year then I'll be really giddy
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I take you are saying that no one supports trump? I think the recent pay increase that over 85% of Americans are seeing might paint a different picture.
View Quote
What's the average American going to see? Something like a couple of bucks net per check, right?
I don't think the average American will even notice that small of a jump in their take home pay.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What's the average American going to see? Something like a couple of bucks net per check, right?
I don't think the average American will even notice that small of a jump in their take home pay.
View Quote
Avg American will see a significant return in both their taxes as well as avg paycheck.

We already adjusted the payroll accordingly at my division... avg guy is bringing home 20 bucks more per week. That's significant when you are making 15 per hour.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Avg American will see a significant return in both their taxes as well as avg paycheck.

We already adjusted the payroll accordingly at my division... avg guy is bringing home 20 bucks more per week. That's significant when you are making 15 per hour.
View Quote
A couple hundred extra bucks a year in take-home isn't going to seem like a windfall to most Americans
I think that you're being overly optimistic.
As far as taxes, lets wait a  few years and see how things look when the future phases of his plan kick in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top