Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2021 10:11:15 AM EDT
Our little central Texas town has an elderly woman who is breaking all sorts of law/policies in regards to city employees, LE, etc. Our LE are surprisingly solid for our town and she’s trying to push them out because of power.

She has no idea what she’s doing but she’s got to go.

From my understanding, her term is up in 2022. Is there enough time to boot her or just wait for the election?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Our little central Texas town has an elderly woman who is breaking all sorts of law/policies in regards to city employees, LE, etc. Our LE are surprisingly solid for our town and she's trying to push them out because of power.

She has no idea what she's doing but she's got to go.

From my understanding, her term is up in 2022. Is there enough time to boot her or just wait for the election?
View Quote
If she is breaking laws call the Rangers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
^ that too

(not knowing anything about the town)
For the recall,, check the town code, it should have the recall procedures in there.  If the election is in the spring then it's probably marginal at best to do a recall, it would take a couple months to do a petition and then a couple months to schedule a special election.  Might be better just to a) make an airtight election challenger and b) get the rest of the council active to block anything bad in the shorter term.  If you can show the staff that the mayor is on the way out, they will have some cover to not do her illegal bidding.  They will want to keep their jobs with the new regime.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the direction.

I’ll check into the Ranger connection with another LE friend.

I’ll get a copy of the info from the city to see what the recall process is but likely easier to wait. I’ve got a solid candidate that currently serves on the council and he knows what it takes to do it right. Just need to outlast this old bat!

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If she is breaking state law then yes TX Rangers or State AG office maybe too. If it's certain city policies and rules for how town is run then you can check out recall but this is not that common in TX.  One way around this is if they are convicted of a crime making them ineligible for office. That's not necessarily recall but a way to get rid of elected officials upon conviction for crime. I think it has to be a felony and of course that's not a quick process that would take long past 2022. Although sometimes indictment can pressure them out, it does not usually force them out of office.

You could also see if city charter provides for some type of vote of no confidence by the rest of City Council that could pressure mayor to resign or even force them out.

Sometimes public pressure can help push stuff to happen too. So maybe look at media for help. Get them on the news and media hanging around can force issue. Media is rarely your friend but they can be useful tools sometimes as long and your not the object of their attention.

Also to push local LE to act the local PD or County AG may be able to be pressured by things like a call from State AG office if their are possible law violations. You know "do something or we will send it people to start getting into your business" type phone call. Think creatively too, open meeting violations and stuff like this could at least trigger attention they don't want.

Also who hires and fires the Police Chief City Council or Mayor!

Some random thoughts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top