Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 10:12:41 AM EDT
Just checking.  Info online is as clear as mud.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wondering the same myself.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a dummy. I had completely forgotten until now that I had asked the same question about a year ago from the Taller Juridico Educativo's YouTube channel in the comments section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZntRJIiiM&lc=UgxTroV4PgetSUD-ZoN4AaABAg.99G-qE8JdpB9Bj7Jq7utJw

Another commenter, Jan Rodriguez, responded to my question as quoted below:

"La nueva Ley de Armas permite que un ciudadano de otro estado de los Estados Unidos pueda obtener una licencia de armas en Puerto Rico, pero deberá cumplir con todos los requisitos igual que cualquier residente de la isla. Ello incluye el tomar un curso de uso y manejo de armas de fuego por parte de un instructor de tiro autorizado por el Negociado de Puerto Rico. Por lo tanto, es probable que tenga que ir personalmente a Puerto Rico a tomar el curso, ya que con toda probabilidad no consiga uno autorizado en Texas. También, se requiere que le tomen sus huellas digitales en el Cuartel General en San Juan o en las Comandancias de Área. Las huellas deberán ser tomadas por un técnico del Negociado de la Policía de Puerto Rico de forma digital, por lo que según redactado el Reglamento 9172 tiene que ir personalmente a la isla. Además, la Ley de Armas  y el Reglamento del Negociado de la Policia de Puerto Rico 9172 tienen otros requisitos con los cuales debe cumplir. Entiendo que hasta el momento no hay ningún acuerdo de reciprocidad con otro estado.  No se le ocurra viajar a Puerto Rico con armas o municiones sin tener una Licencia de Armas de Puerto Rico, ya que esa conducta esta tipificada como delito, salvo que cumpla con los requisitos del Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. Por último le recomiendo que se asesore primero con un abogado en Puerto Rico que conozca sobre esta materia antes de viajar para radicar la licencia o realizar cualquier gestión relacionada con armas de fuego."

I'll try to translate into English:

The new Law of Firearms permits a citizen of another state of the U.S to obtain a firearms license in Puerto Rico, but should comply with all the requirements the same as any other resident of the island. These include taking the Handling and Usage Course of Firearms from an instructor authorized by the Department of Puerto Rico. Therefore, it is probable you will have to personally go to Puerto Rico to take the course since in all probability you will not be able to find someone authorized in Texas [I asked about Texas reciprocity]. Also, it is required for the Headquarters in San Juan or in the Area Command to take your fingerprints. The prints should be taken by a technician of the Police Department digitally/electronically. As written in Rule 9172 you will have to go personally to the island. In addition to the Law of Firearms and the Department of the Headquarters of Puerto Rico, 9172 has other requirements which need to be complied with. I understand that at the moment there is no reciprocity agreement with any other state. Do not travel to Puerto Rico with other firearms or ammo without having a Firearms License of Puerto Rico since that occurrence is classified as a crime, unless the requirements of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act applies. Lastly, I recommend that you first consult with an attorney in Puerto Rico who is familiar with this material before traveling to apply for a license or for any other issue related to firearms.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!  Guess I’ll be making an extra trip.

(“Oh, no!”)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top