Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2022 1:50:54 PM EDT
If someone was looking for a whole or half finished beef, where would you look?   If you were on the supply end, where would you advertise?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If someone was looking for a whole or half finished beef, where would you look?   If you were on the supply end, where would you advertise?
View Quote

A friend from college said he was butchering on FB and I bought a quarter from him.

Kind of lucked into it. Google butcher shops and buying a cow in your area and you’ll come up with something.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I live just outside a small farming town.

The surrounding county has a dozen or so farms that raises livestock, processes and sell them to other locals...

When we want to fill one of our freezers up I check with a few of them for any specials..

Also, If all I want is pork, I'll check with my uncle that lives 45 mins south of me. Even more in the sticks than us.  

He usually has a good number of big ass pigs and a few ready to be processed...

He tries to give the meat (and firewood) to me, but I always make him take some cash and or some work around his place in trade...  

I don't look for free stuff, even from uncles or cousins...
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I would first look to any farmers (or even just folks that live in a rural area that might know some farmers) in my inner circle that were local to me.  Maybe someone you go to church with, work with, kids play ball with, etc.  Assuming that you don't have any leads in your inner circle, my next stop would be the local feed or farm supply store, just asking around there.  If that didn't work, I would check with the local butcher shops to see if they had any leads.

I raise cattle and I'm selling 12 butchering steers this year (all already spoken for).  All of mine are sold by word of mouth.  I hate selling anything, so my preference is finding repeat customers, and I have pretty good luck with that.  I farm with my retired uncle, and when we do have openings, he can usually sell them by word of mouth at the local coffee shop/watering hole.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to say this, but Facebook is your best bet besides word of mouth. Find local area/neighborhood groups. Put up posts, or look for posts of people looking to buy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Find a local who raises cattle. I've been buying beef from one of my customers for years. We just got a half about 6 months ago. Where are you located?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Johnson County Mo
I finished out 5 and got ghosted on 1, FB is kind of it’s own mess, but, that’s probably where I’m going.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a bit from that farm before you buy a freezer full. Much of the farm finished beef isn't going to taste like prime or choice from a feed lot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
We have registered Dexters.  We just do word of mouth, and we have a small store in town that sells our beef.... We live in a very small town, so it's not hard to get the word around...
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Johnson County Mo
I finished out 5 and got ghosted on 1, FB is kind of it’s own mess, but, that’s probably where I’m going.
View Quote

Facebook definitely sucks, but it's honestly a great tool for small businesses and getting your name out there. Word of mouth has helped me more than anything, but I've got a few decent jobs from it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I buy ALL of my beef from Johnson1911... Best beef I've ever had for the last 6 years...
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Johnson County Mo
View Quote

Whups, I misunderstood that you were on the supply side, not the potential buyer side.  This probably won't be helpful, but my breakdown is 80% family, 10% neighbor/friend/go to church with, 10% coworker/friend's coworker.  If I had no inner circle of folks that were already interested in buying, I would take them to the sale barn before I would deal with random people from FB or CL every year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
But to reiterate one suggestion, if I were in your shoes, I would spend a half day driving around to all the local butcher shops asking if they knew anyone looking for what you have and if they allow it, put your name and number up on their bulletin board if they have such a thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whups, I misunderstood that you were on the supply side, not the potential buyer side.  This probably won't be helpful, but my breakdown is 80% family, 10% neighbor/friend/go to church with, 10% coworker/friend's coworker.  If I had no inner circle of folks that were already interested in buying, I would take them to the sale barn before I would deal with random people from FB or CL every year.
View Quote

To be honest, I thought OP was looking to buy too.

Like I said, my buddy just mentioned that he was getting ready to butcher a cow on FB and was able to sell it to people on his friend list.  You might just want to mention it on your personal page.  Since so many people are looking into buying from smaller farmers right now I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find buyers.

Shoot, just mention it here when you're ready.  My freezer is full now but I'd rather buy from someone close to me than drive half way across the state to pick up beef.  I'd have at least talked to you about it if I had known you were selling.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I finish a few every year, never be afraid to reach out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like I said, my buddy just mentioned that he was getting ready to butcher a cow on FB and was able to sell it to people on his friend list.  You might just want to mention it on your personal page.
View Quote

That's a good point.  When I heard FB, my brain automatically thought random FB people on FB marketplace.  Actual FB friends would probably be a decent route to try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I finish a few every year, never be afraid to reach out.
View Quote

I appreciate it.  When we're ready for another buy I'll give you a holler.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Can you guys pm me what you guys are charging? My kids raised 2 up we are putting one in the freezer and my coworker is buying the other. Just want to know what a fair price to charge is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
We normally just price by the lb according to the latest market report from say farmington, or west plains....
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would do that by PMs. We can't do *Beef for sale* in here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot, just mention it here when you're ready. I'd have at least talked to you about it if I had known you were selling.

I would do that by PMs. We can't do *Beef for sale* in here.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can you guys pm me what you guys are charging? My kids raised 2 up we are putting one in the freezer and my coworker is buying the other. Just want to know what a fair price to charge is.
View Quote

We try to take about the average of the going rate for that weight at the nearest couple of sale barns.  We try to be fair in hopes that by not trying to get an extra nickel/# the buyers see that we're a lot more interested in a long term relationship than making a few extra bucks this year.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#24]
My son who is 14 started raising hogs last year and they are pretty easy. He is probably leaving some money on the table but he is getting some experience and teaches him to budget his money he is paying for everything his self then sells the hogs and picks up the meat and delivers it. My daughter 12 bought the 2 calves with her money. I bought all the milk replacer and now the corn. We are keeping one and she gets all the money out of the one we are selling.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My son who is 14 started raising hogs last year and they are pretty easy. He is probably leaving some money on the table but he is getting some experience and teaches him to budget his money he is paying for everything his self then sells the hogs and picks up the meat and delivers it. My daughter 12 bought the 2 calves with her money. I bought all the milk replacer and now the corn. We are keeping one and she gets all the money out of the one we are selling.
View Quote

I sent you a pm explaining the process as best I could, let me know if you have questions, and I hope I helped.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I sent you a pm explaining the process as best I could, let me know if you have questions, and I hope I helped.
View Quote

Thank you for the info. PM’d back
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Everything spoken for, next group will be 100 plus days out.
Joshua
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Everything spoken for, next group will be 100 plus days out.
Joshua
View Quote

We are definitely interested. No room right now to store any however. Hopefully next time around we have a house by then!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#29]
OP How do you finish your steer's?

-Grove
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#30]
If you have the option, talk to your local Aumish or Minnonites. Year before last a friend and I bought three 250-300 pound rupture hogs from a local Aumish friend for $15 each. He had got them from a nearby hog confinement. Of course, we had to kill and butcher them ourselves, but we both ended up with Round 130lbs of pork each at a cost of $23.50.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got half a beef coming this week.  Contemplating a blackstone just to cook all the hamburger that I'll have lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#32]
@Buckshot4U

Yo dawg, pm or call me next year.

We lucked out and bought half of my FIL’s half this year after he called my wife and asked if we wanted some beef.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you have the option, talk to your local Aumish or Minnonites. Year before last a friend and I bought three 250-300 pound rupture hogs from a local Aumish friend for $15 each. He had got them from a nearby hog confinement. Of course, we had to kill and butcher them ourselves, but we both ended up with Round 130lbs of pork each at a cost of $23.50.
View Quote

Since we're going to be living like the Amish soon, we might as well get acquainted now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@Buckshot4U

Yo dawg, pm or call me next year.

We lucked out and bought half of my FIL’s half this year after he called my wife and asked if we wanted some beef.
View Quote

@TrashWrencher, sorry, we're pretty selective about who we sell too...  Just kidding, I'm fairly confident you may know a few folks who have purchased from us before!
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@TrashWrencher, sorry, we're pretty selective about who we sell too...  Just kidding, I'm fairly confident you may know a few folks who have purchased from us before!
View Quote

I’ve been bugging the wife for years about trying this out.  So far, the quality of what we got through her dad is amazing. I’m going to be pushing for a real quarter next year, or maybe a half, depending on how long this lasts us.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ve been bugging the wife for years about trying this out.  So far, the quality of what we got through her dad is amazing. I’m going to be pushing for a real quarter next year, or maybe a half, depending on how long this lasts us.
View Quote

If a family has the finances to do it and the freezer space, if nothing else, I think it's a great way to hedge your bets.  My inlaws are "city people" and they live within 5 minutes of 5 or 6 different grocery stores with in house butcher shops.  If they shop around all 5 of those butcher shops every week, they can probably chase down Manger's Specials and super sales and buy it cheaper than buying from me, which is fine by me.  With the custom butchered, you're only at the mercy of the market once, which generally insulates you from the big swings in prices.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since we're going to be living like the Amish soon, we might as well get acquainted now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel free to DM me and introduce yourself. I'm in northeast MO. Judging by your profile pic, we would probably get along.

And yes, you can fit a 250lb hog in the trunk of a Dodge Challenger after it is dead, trunk is lined with a tarp, and a 2 wheeled Aumish buggy is used as a lifting device. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Johnson County Mo
View Quote

We used to get beef from the place in Holden.  There are folks in Cass and Bates county selling now and most of their business seems to be from word of mouth of Facebook (I would never have heard of any 3 of these people if it weren't for my wife telling me about her friends recommending them on Facebook).

Feel free to PM me any details on what you're selling.  I'm in Cass county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top