Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2020 1:29:14 PM EDT
I’m a tech and studying for general.  I just got my hf rig set up in anticipation .  Hopefully things will ease up soon so I can test.

So who are the hams? Any nets I should be aware of?

Kg5amk
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a ham today, but back in late 60's early 70's one needed to know a certain amount of words of Morse Code to get a license. I was up to around 12-15 words a minute, which I think was the words needed, before the teacher who was licensed, died and it just took the fire out of me to continue on to get my license.

This was also during a time when CB radio operations also needed a license to operate, so this tells you how old I am.

Our family was also R.E.A.C.T members from having CBs and helped report bad weather conditions in areas of the County and relayed messages to other members who reported to central dispatching to get reports to news and radio stations.

Thought about getting back into ham now that things have changed in how easy it is to get a simple license nowadays.

I should brush up on my Morse Code as it seems to be a lost art and might come in handy someday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
In regards to the Morse, the general class videos im watching now claim that there is now more using now than ever before.  I am interested and hope to continue that direction, but need to pass a test first.  I’m trying really hard to understand the technical aspects, as i would really like to make some antennas. (Qrp) sounds fun too!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Tech license.

There is a very active HAM section here on Arfcom if you havent checked in there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tech license.

There is a very active HAM section here on Arfcom if you havent checked in there.
View Quote

I have, but I think getting in touch with those around you just makes sense.  I’m a member of the current river amateur radio club.  That covers most of south central Mo.  I was wondering about the rest of the state, and if there was an informal or formal hometown net.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Talleyho.  

Tech level here.  SWMO area.  Not very active.   Certainly not now while living in temporary quarters
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep saying I'm going to at least get a tech license but never seem to go for it.
I have 2 Baofeng UV5R radios. One is NIB, still has the plastic wrapping in it.
The other I have setup to listen to NOAA and police.
Also picks up kshe95 really well too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys that are on the fence should do it.  A tech license is pretty easy.  I’m listening from coast to coast on my hf rig.  I think it’s neat to get info from real people around the country on how things really are.  Almost every ham is really helpful with any question or helping others get their ticket. I have witnessed them in action when the flood wiped out van burens communication capabilities.   A lot of folks would have been in a pickle without them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Tech here. Hoping they put the tests online so I can do my general.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Another Tech waiting for testing to start again so I can take my General.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a couple Baofengs last month and set one up to listen to local nets (Greene County area).  Once the local clubs start meeting again I'll test for my Technician license, and probably bring my oldest along to test for his.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I took my tech and general back in January.  I've got a couple handhelds set up.  One of those is on DMR.  I have an HF rig, but haven't had time to install yet.  I saw something a few days ago (or maybe a couple weeks) about online testing.  They were using webcams to proctor the exams....  Not sure how many are doing that though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have, but I think getting in touch with those around you just makes sense.  I’m a member of the current river amateur radio club.  That covers most of south central Mo.  I was wondering about the rest of the state, and if there was an informal or formal hometown net.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tech license.

I am in the opposite corner of the state in KC.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tech license.

If you can reach the excelsior springs repeater there’s a net every Monday at 8pm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you can reach the excelsior springs repeater there’s a net every Monday at 8pm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tech license.

Good to know. I do have it programmed into my radio and drive that way once or twice a week. I do not think I can hear it from my house though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Tech here had my license for 20 years but have been out of it for a while now.  was really active on 2m here in St Louis.  Was looking at getting a new rig and get back on the air soon......
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’m a tech and studying for general.  I just got my hf rig set up in anticipation .  Hopefully things will ease up soon so I can test.

So who are the hams? Any nets I should be aware of?

Kg5amk
View Quote

A 5-lander transplant eh?

General class here, 9-lander transplant. I really should get my HF antennas up, just have a GP3 on a mast about 30 feet up. But I can hit repeaters over 50 miles away since I'm high up. So that's good with me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I took my tech and general back in January.  I've got a couple handhelds set up.  One of those is on DMR.  I have an HF rig, but haven't had time to install yet.  I saw something a few days ago (or maybe a couple weeks) about online testing.  They were using webcams to proctor the exams....  Not sure how many are doing that though.
View Quote

If you do find this to be, please post more info so we can try to upgrade. ??
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Have only been licensed for a few years now, but had an interest in radio my whole life.  Shot for general on my exam date and aced both, tanked extra because I didn't study for it at all.

Also sort of in ARES.  I participate in the meetings and nets when I can, but my line of work keeps me tied up with little free time for things like that.  We have one weekly ARES net on VHF, and two weekly ARES nets on HF, both open to the public too so we always have non ARES hams checking in.  We also have our own little ARRL Field Day event every year.  Gives us a chance to break out our field rigs, but honestly it's mostly just an excuse to shoot the breeze and eat good BBQ.  Without ARES I am pretty confident the repeaters here would be mostly dead, and there probably wouldn't have been enough interest for me to get licensed.  It was one of the ARES members that pushed me to finally get licensed.

Definitely hit up the arfcom ham forum.  Lots of good folks in there and they'll get you going on DMR in no time so you can hang out in the arfcom TGIF channel.

My radios:

3x HTs.  A motorola HT1250 VHF, an anytone d868uv, and a Baofeng uv5r(was my first radio).
2x HF.  A yaesu ft-450d + signalink in the shack, and a yaesu ft-897d with the oem 120v power supply and LDG side mounted auto tuner(my field rig atm).
2x mobile.  A yaesu ft-8800r in the truck, and a motorola xtl2500 vhf 50w in the shack.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I DID IT!!!

I took my test yesterday at the current river amateur radio club meeting and passed my general.... I went ahead and tested for extra but dang, never even heard most of those terms before so I failed that one miserably .

Now I can get my hf rig figured out and get on the air!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I DID IT!!!

I took my test yesterday at the current river amateur radio club meeting and passed my general.... I went ahead and tested for extra but dang, never even heard most of those terms before so I failed that one miserably .

Now I can get my hf rig figured out and get on the air!
View Quote

Hell yeah, congrats!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By elginrunner:
I DID IT!!! 

I took my test yesterday at the current river amateur radio club meeting and passed my general.... I went ahead and tested for extra but dang, never even heard most of those terms before so I failed that one miserably .

Now I can get my hf rig figured out and get on the air!
View Quote

Congrats. I have the books. Need to crack em open i suppose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top