Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2023 10:01:23 AM EDT
Just curious as to how many others use a left handed holster for their EDC. I posed the question here instead of GD for a smaller, but big enough, sample size. Amongst the people I know who carry, I'd say it's about 40% LH. I believe in the population as a whole, lefties are about 15-20%. For some unknown reason, from what I've seen, the number of LH shooters is higher, maybe 50% higher. Which makes me wonder why retailers would intentionally exclude a third of potential customers. For example, I've met in person about 5 members of this HTF... besides me, 2 of those 5 are LH... and I'm not sure about the other 3. That small sampling shows at least a 50/50 mix of LH/RH.

Finding a LH holster on a display in a big box or sporting goods retailer, or even more so a LGS, is like find 'free' .410 shotshells... IOW, no fucking way, are you nuts? Even at online retailers it's difficult to find them, unless you go and buy directly from the manufacturer at MSRP. Even then, not all models of holsters made for right hand are made for left hand, or for any but the most popular guns. If you carry a Glock, M&P, Shield, or 1911, it becomes easier to find one online. Try finding one anywhere for a Kahr that's not an "ambidexterous" or "universal fit". The other option is handmade by order from a holster maker. This may be the only option, but it's probably very pricey.

If I knew how to set up one of those polls here, I'd do it. But as I don't, if you're LH, post a comment.

eta: every time I go to Fleet Farm, if I come across an employee in the sporting goods section, I ask them "where is your left handed holster section". Some give me the deer-in-headlights look, others will take me the holster display and point out the G19 LH Blackhawk Serpa... the only LH holster in the building not on a customer's hip.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm one of the 15% of the population that is left handed and I get all my left hand holsters from gun shows, Ebay, Gunbroker or I order them thru various makers. I gave up looking for left hand gear at retail stores because of the sparsity.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm one of the 15% of the population that is left handed and I get all my left hand holsters from gun shows, Ebay, Gunbroker or I order them thru various makers. I gave up looking for left hand gear at retail stores because of the sparsity.
Gary
View Quote

I've found some at Midway USA. Almost all of my LH holsters came from there. I do have a few Crossbreed IWB hybrids, but overall, I'm not a kydex fan, nor IWB. I prefer OWB leather pancake type. I've got DeSantis & Galco OWBs from Midway.

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always had to order mine, sometimes with a bit of a delay.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Lefty here.
I usually just order mine online and have a drawer full of "test subject holsters".
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My son is left handed.   I had to learn how to do stuff left handed so I could teach him.   About the only thing I can't do let handed is write.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My son is left handed.   I had to learn how to do stuff left handed so I could teach him.   About the only thing I can't do let handed is write.
View Quote

I went to a Catholic grade school in the 50s & 60s... writing with your left hand was strictly forbidden. I had to learn to write with my right hand. I did so in school, but at home, doing homework, I used my left. It looked different because it was different. I had 2 distinct handwritngs. I was accused of having a parent doing my homework. When one nun called my parents about it, and when she demanded they make me use my right hand at home too, my mom (a lefty also) gave her an ear full. She went to a PTA meeting and "lit it up" about this stupid policy. There were other parents of lefties complaining too. Next school year, there was a new principal, and the lefty prohibition was gone. And... I was now in 7th grade with a new lay teacher.....  who was lefty.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I write left handed and do everything else right handed. Not ambidextrous....does that count for anything?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Lefty here.  Mail order for the win, but I have occasionally seen left handed holsters in the wild.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Most mass produced lefty holsters suck so I special order all my holsters exactly as I want them to be.

I use Parker leather out of Loyal WI for my leather holster needs (find them on Facebook)  and KJconcealment.com for the kydex ones.

And the Nuns in the 60's when I went to parochial school were the most evil and mean penguins I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Step daughter is a lefty but for no apparent reason she shoots handgun & long gun right handed.
But that's it for the right hand...
So every holiday the ass I am, I  give her the twist can opener and all the cans to open...
She immediately responds with a Fuck you.
JP
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Step daughter is a lefty but for no apparent reason she shoots handgun & long gun right handed.
But that's it for the right hand...
So every holiday the ass I am, I  give her the twist can opener and all the cans to open...
She immediately responds with a Fuck you.
JP
View Quote

Right eye dominant?

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right eye dominant?

View Quote

That'd be my guess too. Eye dominance is why I shoot LH, left eye dominant. I know that doesn't matter with a handgun, and I can most likely shoot a hangun with my right hand better than most righties can with their left... I'm basically ambi, except for a few things. A few things I always do RH. I spent 20+ years banging shingle nails with the roofing hatchet in my right hand, because I preferred my left hand for holding the nails.

Most of the shooting I did until much later in life, was with a long gun, specifically shotguns. I hunted birds a lot and did a lot of trap shooting. I was in clubs and leagues. I always did so LH because of the eye thing. Muscle memory with triggers being pulled with LH only, for decades, is a hard thing to overcome. As a result, although I can shoot a handgun righthanded, I do so far better, and much more comfortably, with my left because that's the hand I'm used to pulling the trigger with. Trigger control is an important aspect of accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Lefty here, left eye dominant.
Bought holsters online from the manufacturer.
Still have the Crossbreed supertuck I bought when WI got concealed carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top