Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
Looking at potentially buying land and building a home soon. Been looking at a lot  of property out of the way that's zoned AG. Is 5 acres enough for a 25yrd pistol and 100yd rifle range? Does the range have to been a certain amount of feet from any occupied dwelling or anything like that I'm unaware of?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not about the land you're on, it's about what's around you.

People WILL bitch. Projectiles WILL leave your property. People who are ok with it today might not be tomorrow.

Nothing better than having your own place to shoot... but it's more about the surroundings.

ETA- also, people misread FSS 790.15, see (4)(b).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not about the land you're on, it's about what's around you.

People WILL bitch. Projectiles WILL leave your property. People who are ok with it today might not be tomorrow.

Nothing better than having your own place to shoot... but it's more about the surroundings.

ETA- also, people misread FSS 790.15, see (4)(b).
View Quote
I hear ya. The area I'm looking at is very rural and well known for people shooting around there. I understand all it takes is one asshole though. Land I was looking at is about 1/2 mile from any road. I'd have to make a drive to get there and it's in the middle of a 30 acre undeveloped area but someone could always eventually buy a parcel next to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have acreage in Highlands county. It’s rural as hell, but still get texts from neighbors sometimes. As far as 5 acres being enough for a 100yd range, it is with the caveats bow hunter mentioned.

This is a great website I used to be able to get a good understanding of how big a certain area is. If you load the map and go to Manatee gun club you’ll see their 100yd and 25yd range is only 2 acres or so.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm#

There’s not many areas where you’ll be able to buy in FL at “normal people prices” and be able to shoot to your hearts content without annoying someone, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I live on 5 acres & built 150 yard range but with a big ass berm.
I have neighbors that call the law, the law shows up, looks at the berm & leaves.
Rounds will leave your property. I keep the shooters limited to people I know.
Most folks in my hood shoot on their property too so it is expected to hear gun fire.
The one liberal bitch down the road thinks I have a militia training camp.
Aim small miss small.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As others have said: Surroundings?  But, also consider the shape.  Is it a square plot or  long and narrow?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Suppression will help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top