Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2022 11:30:40 PM EDT
Does anybody have any documentation (or even anecdotes ) about using an AR15 in a DIY type straight pull configuration? I know they make some kind of thing for the CA market that blocks the gas key or whatever and I'm curious about the legality of that for PA big game hunting along with simple "Home Depot" style straight pull conversions like removing the gas tube and replacing it with a 2" solid steel plug drilled for a gas tube roll pin to eliminate any possibility of semi auto function.

I don't see how it would be any different than a Remington 870 with some dowel rod in the tube to limit the number of shells in it to make it hunting legal but considering the PAGC still hasn't legalize self loading rifles for big game, I don't really consider them a reasonable organization.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Overscoped
View Quote

Haha thanks for calling me out
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
So to answer your question I talked to a game commission officer supervisor like 3 years ago about removing the gas system and just using a straight pull deal.

Of course he really couldn't give me an answer other than if we see that in the woods we're definitely going to question you.

So personally I don't think they have any real definition for the use of a bolt action AR-15 with a magazine..

So I went one step further and installed a Cali key into a 10 and 1/2 in pistol and then put a nice scope on top of it. I didn't remove my gas system at all.
So obviously it would be really easy to pull that Kali key thing out and put a regular bolt in and you would have a semi-automatic.. so I just don't have an extra bolt with me.

I hunted all last year season with it on private property. Nobody said a word to me not even other Hunters however I didn't run into any Game Commission people.
If I was hunting on the game lands I would fully expect to be questioned and I can fully show them that it's not a semi-automatic and they can take me to court if they really want to cuz that's where that's going to go.

I kind of feel like it's pushing buttons however it's my right to use a pistol that's not a semi automatic in every kind of configuration possible.

I use my own reloads but I didn't use full metal jacket which obviously would be inhumane to kill a deer with even though clearly it will kill.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I was always under the impression that if you had the gas system disabled and couldn't quickly revert in the field you were good, but I don't have anything to back that up with.

I may possibly hunt some this year with my SBR with Uintah 10.5" upper, but that thing is a legit bolt action. Doesn't look like it from a distance though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
We are one of 2 states that don't allow semi's. Love to Hunt with a 6arc in an AR in PA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We are one of 2 states that don't allow semi's. Love to Hunt with a 6arc in an AR in PA.
View Quote

Yup.  I get pissed when I think about the thousands of dollars that I have in some of my semi autos, only to have to buy a separate bolt gun to hunt with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the other state?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the other state?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the other state?

Delaware
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Delaware
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the other state?

Delaware
Shocker
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So to answer your question I talked to a game commission officer supervisor like 3 years ago about removing the gas system and just using a straight pull deal.

Of course he really couldn't give me an answer other than if we see that in the woods we're definitely going to question you.

So personally I don't think they have any real definition for the use of a bolt action AR-15 with a magazine..

So I went one step further and installed a Cali key into a 10 and 1/2 in pistol and then put a nice scope on top of it. I didn't remove my gas system at all.
So obviously it would be really easy to pull that Kali key thing out and put a regular bolt in and you would have a semi-automatic.. so I just don't have an extra bolt with me.

I hunted all last year season with it on private property. Nobody said a word to me not even other Hunters however I didn't run into any Game Commission people.
If I was hunting on the game lands I would fully expect to be questioned and I can fully show them that it's not a semi-automatic and they can take me to court if they really want to cuz that's where that's going to go.

I kind of feel like it's pushing buttons however it's my right to use a pistol that's not a semi automatic in every kind of configuration possible.

I use my own reloads but I didn't use full metal jacket which obviously would be inhumane to kill a deer with even though clearly it will kill.
View Quote

Thats the true American spirit right there.

There is no real reason PA outlaws semiauto, other than muh tradition.  If its for safety, then why do the woods sound like a WWII battlefield on the first morning of deer season?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
guy i know recommended 350 legend for bucks county since they just opened up straight case rifles in the county and that i could get an ar upper. he neglected to tell me semis are not legal. im from far north ny and retired from the Navy 10 years ago to lower bucks. none of my deer sized bolt actions are legal either. is .223 legal? i have an old new england firearms single shot.
just bought a 350 upper for a lower thats been sitting in the safe for quite a long time. my magazines should be in soon. ordered 2 5 rd mags from CMMG.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
guy i know recommended 350 legend for bucks county since they just opened up straight case rifles in the county and that i could get an ar upper. he neglected to tell me semis are not legal. im from far north ny and retired from the Navy 10 years ago to lower bucks. none of my deer sized bolt actions are legal either. is .223 legal? i have an old new england firearms single shot.
just bought a 350 upper for a lower thats been sitting in the safe for quite a long time. my magazines should be in soon. ordered 2 5 rd mags from CMMG.
View Quote

.223 is legal to hunt with in PA.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legal in areas other than special reg areas (Allegheny and the SE counties, including Bucks).

However, there was something I just read that the PGC is talking about changing that to make minimum caliber .23.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Legal in areas other than special reg areas (Allegheny and the SE counties, including Bucks).

However, there was something I just read that the PGC is talking about changing that to make minimum caliber .23.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fudds...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top