Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2023 7:35:51 PM EDT
Dropped 2nd renewal at the post office exactly 5 weeks ago.  I remeber 1st renewal (which included an address change) being suprisingly quick.  When should I get worried?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a thread a while back about renewal times.

I forget the exact amount of time mine and the wife's took to process and return, but what I do remember is thinking I was glad we had constitutional carry in the state in case I never saw it again. It did finally arrive, both on the same day. What I do know is our timing was in months not weeks. Hope yours works out better than that.

Here is a link to the old thread to give you an idea what others were experiencing.

ETA - Some folks had luck giving a call and asking for status. Might try that.

Old thread link
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
6+ months sometimes, but there doesn’t seem to be any real reason to it.  Some are fast, others are taking months.  Sometimes they’ve been sitting on them, and you call and they mail them out immediately.  And when you do get it, it’s backdated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I did my first renewal earlier this year, and it was about a 3 week turnaround. I think those complaints may stem from incomplete forms being submitted, or other incompleteness that pushes the renewal application to the bottom of the pile.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did my first renewal earlier this year, and it was about a 3 week turnaround. I think those complaints may stem from incomplete forms being submitted, or other incompleteness that pushes the renewal application to the bottom of the pile.
View Quote

I can assure you my application was not incomplete, and neither was my wife’s.  It took them months, and when I finally called, they sent it out same day.  They were sitting on it even though it was complete.

They did the same thing to my partner at work.  Nothing for months, he sent them an email and they immediately sent it out to him.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can assure you my application was not incomplete, and neither was my wife’s.  It took them months, and when I finally called, they sent it out same day.  They were sitting on it even though it was complete.

They did the same thing to my partner at work.  Nothing for months, he sent them an email and they immediately sent it out to him.
View Quote
It seems like there was one more thread about this.  Mine also took months.  When I called they didn't give a shit.  They wouldn't check on shit, they didn't do shit.  It was like this slow walking was on purpose.

All in all, I was without my 'instant firearm purchase approval' card for just over a month, I think.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Apologies for thread jacking. For the initial application I've found places that note a prior ccw in another state would suffice for training, but I've not found it on the actual Arizona ccw website. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Apologies for thread jacking. For the initial application I've found places that note a prior ccw in another state would suffice for training, but I've not found it on the actual Arizona ccw website. Can anyone confirm?
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is correct.
View Quote

Thank you. Another question if I may, is there anything in Arizona's law that would stop the media from a foia to get names and addresses?
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you. Another question if I may, is there anything in Arizona's law that would stop the media from a foia to get names and addresses?
View Quote

Good sir, I do not know the answer on that one.  I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good sir, I do not know the answer on that one.  I'm sorry.
View Quote

Thank you. After some additional searches it appears that the answer is no.

https://ballotpedia.org/Public_access_to_concealed_carry_lists
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine took 7 months and was only approved after I contacted them...then the next day my background check was magically approved.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine took 7 months and was only approved after I contacted them...then the next day my background check was magically approved.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I called after 3 months.
She found my paperwork quick, put me on hold, came back a minute later, and said it was approved, and would go out in the mail in a few days.
Had it less than a week later.

I did wait on hold for over an hour, just to get to her.

Mrs. AZCOP's renewal has gone on longer, because she hasn't been able to call, or just forgets, or whatever.
We're both off work in a few weeks, so I'll have have her wait on hold then.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
They come 2-3 days after you email to inquire as to what is taking so long. That has been our experience.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They come 2-3 days after you email to inquire as to what is taking so long. That has been our experience.
View Quote

This does seem to be a recurring theme across all the local AZ boards I frequent when this topic comes up.  

I hand delivered by renewal packet on May 8th in person at the AZDPS CWP Unit office...you can pay with a credit card or cash if you show up in person, instead of the hassle of getting a money order or certified check and mailing everything.  

I'll let you all know when I receive my new permit.

By AZ law, they have 60 days to complete the background check once they receive the packet, and then 15 business days to issue the permit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By AZ law, they have 60 days to complete the background check once they receive the packet, and then 15 business days to issue the permit.
View Quote

I think that's the reoccurring theme. They're not abiding by that, and it's unlikely you can get the AG or anyone that has a say to pursue, so until they get slapped they have no reason to not keep doing it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think that's the reoccurring theme. They're not abiding by that, and it's unlikely you can get the AG or anyone that has a say to pursue, so until they get slapped they have no reason to not keep doing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe there is not a penalty clause in the law IIRC.  So even under a governor who supports freedom, there’s no consequences for not doing it.  And you bet your ass Hobbs is pressuring them to make it worse.

Also, when you do get your renewal, it’s back dated.  So while that means you had it during that period if it had come into question, it doesn’t retroactively let you bypass NICS when buying a gun. And you have to renew that much sooner still.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I mailed my renewal application on May 20 and got my new card yesterday. Not bad.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I recently sent mine via Priority Mail so I had a tracking #.  It arrived in 2 days.  I had my license in my hand 8-9 calendar days later.  Total turnaround less than 2 weeks.  I consider that good service.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Was two weeks for my new AZ application in January, from mailing in, to receiving it. Sent a copy of my NV CCW as proof of training.

DPS site with good information

ARS that includes training requirements. See Section N
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I dropped my renewal packet in person at the CWP Unit in Phoenix on Monday May 8th.  USPS Informed Delivery tells me I will receive my new permit in tomorrows mail, June 10th.  Drop off in person and you can pay with cash or credit/debit card, FYI.  33 days is pretty good, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I put my CCW renewal paperwork in the mail on June 6 and I just received my new card yesterday (June 16) - so 10 days for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Friend of mine said he got his back in 10 or 11 days from when he mailed it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine took about 3 months, I had to call and ask where it was at, they were like “Oh, you should get it soon”, I got it 4 days after the phone call.

Sometimes they are right on top of it, sometimes they need a reminder.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Just received mine today.  67 days from when I mailed the renewal in.  I did email them after 2 months of waiting and about a week later it got approved.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Oct 2022 sent in for renewal, got it yesterday, only took seven months, had to call my state Rep to complain and get the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#27]
63 days for mine.  

Dropped off packet in person 5/8/23.  Got to the 45 day mark and I emailed to inquire about the status.  MAGICALLY, it had just been approved the same day I emailed them!  Took them more than a week to get it in the mail.  The new permits are now printed on a cheap feeling thin plastic, thinner than my old permit...but they added holograms into it.   I wish they did what Texas does, and just add the CCW endorsement onto your drivers license.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#28]
The wife and I mailed ours in on the same day. She got hers back within a week, and mine came the following Wednesday. Now, to be clear, they weren't renewals, new permits since mine expired years ago, and she had never had one. One plus for her, I think, is that her Armed Guard registration certificate qualified as both state issued ID and proof of training. I had to send in a photocopy of my Honorable Discharge!
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]
2 Questions on renewals.
Are you all putting in your SSNs on the apps?
We have to provide a copy of our Driver's License  now?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
2 Questions on renewals.
Are you all putting in your SSNs on the apps?
We have to provide a copy of our Driver's License  now?
View Quote
SSN is optional, they aren't asking for DL.
Here is the current renewal form:
https://www.azdps.gov/sites/default/files/media/Renewal%20Application%20%2807201%29%2012-7-17.pdf
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I know it's optional,  but I'm wondering if there's a pattern of them taking months for the people who don't supply the SSN.
See 2A below

INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED

RENEWAL APPLICATION PACKET

Required documents:
1. Complete Concealed Weapons Permit Renewal Application.
A. Complete and sign the application in black ink or fill out the PDF form online, print and sign.
B. Make sure all fields are filled out and all questions are answered.
2. Required Supporting Documents: Official copies are accepted. Do not send originals as they will not be returned.
A. Proof of Identity:
1) Government-issued photo identification (ID) such as a driver license, state-issued identification card, or
passport.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know it's optional,  but I'm wondering if there's a pattern of them taking months for the people who don't supply the SSN.
See 2A below

INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED

RENEWAL APPLICATION PACKET

Required documents:
1. Complete Concealed Weapons Permit Renewal Application.
A. Complete and sign the application in black ink or fill out the PDF form online, print and sign.
B. Make sure all fields are filled out and all questions are answered.
2. Required Supporting Documents: Official copies are accepted. Do not send originals as they will not be returned.
A. Proof of Identity:
1) Government-issued photo identification (ID) such as a driver license, state-issued identification card, or
passport.
View Quote
I guess I don't know the answer to that.
For me - I did not provide my SSN and I got mine back in 10 days.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I recently sent mine via Priority Mail so I had a tracking #.  It arrived in 2 days.  I had my license in my hand 8-9 calendar days later.  Total turnaround less than 2 weeks.  I consider that good service.
View Quote

Just got mine in about 8 working days from sending with confirmation to my mailbox.

Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Was just wondering about this - I sent my renewal in about 5 weeks ago, it was approved two weeks ago but still nothing in the mail.

Strangely it only got moved to approved after I e-mailed to ask if they had received my renewal form, so maybe I'll e-mail them again asking what's taking so long to get the new permit mailed out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was just wondering about this - I sent my renewal in about 5 weeks ago, it was approved two weeks ago but still nothing in the mail.

Strangely it only got moved to approved after I e-mailed to ask if they had received my renewal form, so maybe I'll e-mail them again asking what's taking so long to get the new permit mailed out.
View Quote

I was told it could take upto 30 days to get it via USPS - lame.
It did take about 8 days.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the oil.  I e-mailed them about the permit yesterday morning as it hadn't been sent yet, and just got e-mail saying they are mailing it as of today

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]
So I will say, DPS has had our issues with getting these out in an expedient manner in the past, and sometimes in the present.  The reason?  Arizona gets 1000s of applications every month.  Our reciprocity with other states is so good,  I would say well more than 1/2 of all of our permits are out of state applicants.  You live in another state that has a convoluted process?   And they have reciprocity here?   They just file here in Arizona.  So the CCW team works mandatory overtime, and get other workgroups to help them clear applications just to keep up with demand.  

No making excuses at all.  But if you want to point the finger, tell the out of state applicants to take the foot off the gas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top