Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 11:20:23 AM EDT
We are supposed ot head to Cape Cod on Saturday...arriving on Sunday.  We usually pick up I90 around Toledo and stay on it until we hit I 495 around Springfield MA.  However I really don't want to play search for the gas game on teh trip.  

Any signs yet of a shortage or lines?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I havent seen any issues in central NY yet
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Northern New York and haven't had had or seen any issues....87 is up to $3.05 most places.
Fill up in Ohio about three or four exits BEFORE you cross out: that's where it's cheapest. Fuel in the NY Thruway is easily .30 a gallon more than anywhere else.
Expect about $40. in Tolls to be mailed to you from traversing the NYS Thruway, and Mass has tolls too, just not broken off in your ass like NY.  IF you can get a "E-Z Pass" before you leave, that's the way to save some money.  https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml
I can't tell you what fuel prices or availability will be in Mass, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

IF you're carrying a Handgun through NY, keep it unloaded and secured in a hard case, and if stopped, do not volunteer any information, consent to a search, or stop here unless necessary.  If you need to fill up again, and I suggest you do, get off at I-81 in Syracuse: there are stations a mile or two off the Ramps as well as Food, pee-stops, etc. There is a Cabella's in Buffalo that's OK to stop at and gasoline there are normal prices. past that, there are places all along the way, again a few miles off the Ramps (except in a few rural exits were there's literally NOTHING)  Use your Map/Points of Interest function.
I expect there are thousands that pass through carrying a loaded handgun without issue, but if the Purple Tie Mafia get wind you've got a handgun, you ARE going to have a bad day.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I would stop in Irving NY and fill up at the reservation. Off the rez as of this morning, gas was 2.99 a gallon, might as well save the 30 cents a gallon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll ask my MIL she just left capital region to go to cape cod to her other house.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I filled up at Middleboro- Exit 4 on 495 at Cumberland Farms. $2.85 a gallon. Didn’t notice price on the Pike. Sorry. No lines that I saw anywhere

Thats what she said just now to my wife in text.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for all the info. Sounds like no issues finding gas or waiting for it.  I'm in Michigan now so high prices are the norm.  

I think we're good to head out on Sunday.  We'll probably stay in Erie PA Sunday night and drive through Monday.  

I won't be taking a handgun.  Both NY and MA would crucify me for having one.  Even though we've made this trip like 80 times or more w/o getting stopped for speeding, there is always a first time.  Not worth risk.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I filled up at Middleboro- Exit 4 on 495 at Cumberland Farms. $2.85 a gallon. Didn't notice price on the Pike. Sorry. No lines that I saw anywhere

Thats what she said just now to my wife in text.
View Quote
Thanks!  That's cheaper than I pay locally.  Pike is probably around $3 a gallon same as here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in Northern New York and haven't had had or seen any issues....87 is up to $3.05 most places.
Fill up in Ohio about three or four exits BEFORE you cross out: that's where it's cheapest. Fuel in the NY Thruway is easily .30 a gallon more than anywhere else.
Expect about $40. in Tolls to be mailed to you from traversing the NYS Thruway, and Mass has tolls too, just not broken off in your ass like NY.  IF you can get a "E-Z Pass" before you leave, that's the way to save some money.  https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml
I can't tell you what fuel prices or availability will be in Mass, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.
View Quote

DO NOT buy your E-ZPass from NYS; don't let NY earn interest on your money.  You can open your account in any state in the network and they all have different perks.  MA has discounted rates for the Mass Pike.  I bought mine through NH because they let you choose an external transponder.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
prices around Buffalo jumped 10 cents this week but I don't think there are any shortages yet
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I can pm you my phone number for $.05 off a gallon at Marathon stations.  There's one between exits 43 and 42 in Clifton Springs at the "Murder Mart". Cash gets you another $.10 off.

exit at 43, left on 96, right at the tops, station is in town, back to tops, right on 96, go thru Phelps, get back on at 42, or take a right on 318 and take that to exit 41 and get back on. Save you two tolls and traffic is minimal. Traffic is usually minimal, mostly farms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help guys...got the Covid so I'm not hitting the road for a while.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
ah fuck.
i hope you feel better
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ah fuck.
i hope you feel better
View Quote
I'm doing ok, not nearly as bad as some guys.  It is hanging around longer than I thought it would.  Pisses me off but it is a good excuse to go sit in the sun with the dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top