Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 1:36:47 PM EDT
I just don't get it . http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/phoenix-firefighter-arrested-by-phoenix-police
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you think everyone in "public service" jobs are in it for the service of the public? Many are in it for the power and glory that they believe comes with the job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
As someone who wore a badge for 25+ years, I can tell you some of the worse scum I dealt with also wore badges.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The same courage, fortitude, etc. that would enable a person to risk their life on behalf of others is also similar to the driving force making them feel they can do things like this and feel they can't get caught.  There are many links between successful business people and psychopaths which has been documented in an ever increasing amount of research.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess is he needed money for drugs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is he needed money for drugs.
View Quote
Pretty sure. Because the amounts were petty and the easiest way for addicts to get money is hit the friends and easy stuff.

ETA - yep they just posted an update. Substance abuse and financial problems. The amounts are pathetic besides one time he got lucky and got $990. Every other time it was like $20 here $50 there etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad for sure , I was under the impression that fire fighters made a good living and got a great benefits  package and good pension . So he must have had an ongoing drug problem . Looks like a random drug screen might be something the FD should look into .
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you think everyone in "public service" jobs are in it for the service of the public? Many are in it for the power and glory that they believe comes with the job.
View Quote
And some, will look the other way or do shifty things to ensure their retirement. Then we get to support them off our backs. Just part of the system until it gets changed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sad for sure , I was under the impression that fire fighters made a good living and got a great benefits  package and good pension . So he must have had an ongoing drug problem . Looks like a random drug screen might be something the FD should look into .
View Quote
Every firefighter I know says they are a "part time" firefighter, and have a real job on the side. Guess it doesn't pay all that great? Or all the time off affords other options too maybe?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Every firefighter I know says they are a "part time" firefighter, and have a real job on the side. Guess it doesn't pay all that great? Or all the time off affords other options too maybe?
View Quote
This information is three years old, but these were the "base" pay.  If they are anything like other cities such as Vegas, they make another 20-50% of their base in OT alone before benefits, etc.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/03/30/phoenix-firefighter-base-pay-salary/70669382/

For every firefighter below the rank of battalion chief, the city automatically contributes 4.55 percent of their pay to a deferred compensation plan. The Fire Department's middle managers and executives above that rank get 8 percent of their salary contributed to another retirement account. In addition, they receive a monthly $100 cellphone allowance and a $280 to $435 car allowance.

Entry-level firefighter

Base salary: $46,312

Time with city: Starting

Early-career firefighter

Base salary: $59,300

Time with city: 5.5 years

Mid-career firefighter

Base salary: $65,532

Time with city: 10 years

Firefighter paramedic

Base salary: $ 72,221

Time with city: 14 years

Fire engineer

Base salary: $71,900

Time with city: 19 years

Fire captain (special operations, paramedic)

Base salary: $97,427

Time with city: 25

Fire battalion chief

Base salary: $99,459

Time with city: 26

Assistant fire chief

Base salary: $145,000

Time with city: 34 years

Fire chief

Base salary: $182,499

Time with city: 30 years
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Not exactly chump change , should to be able to live nicely on $72000.00 . He was with the Phoenix FD for 11 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top