Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/27/2020 5:37:18 PM EDT
I want to gift a car to my sister. My wife bought a new car and my sister was in the market for something so we're going to give her my wife's old car (2011 Mitsu). Just wondering how to go about it. Usually, you write the sale price on the title (which he have in hand), get it notarized, and both parties go their separate ways.

I've read you can just write "gift" on the title. Also, does it matter that the title is in my wife's name and not mine (so it would officially be sister-in-law)? I don't want the title bureau to be giving her a hard time when she gets there thinking we're trying to scam them out of their precious tax dollars for the third time on the same car.

I will try to call the title bureau tomorrow but since they just reopened back up they may be swamped. We're meeting to get the title notarized on Saturday but will be unable to go to the title bureau together.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just write a bill of sale saying that the vehicle was gifted. YOU may end up owing the IRS depending on the value of the vehicle (I think the annual exclusion is $15,000).

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have put $1 and I have put $100. Never questioned further at out BMV
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have put $1 and I have put $100. Never questioned further at out BMV
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
When my dad 'sold' us kids our cars the transfer amount was $1.  No questions at all.    If she's got the same last name as you then I doubt anyone is going to question it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. She doesn't have the same last name as me, unfortunately. I kinda thought that putting $100 down on the title would be more suspicious than putting "gift" or $0.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife's father gifted us his truck a couple years ago.

Put $0 on the title.

He received a letter a little while later after the transfer that was basically confirming he gave us the vehicle but gave him the opportunity to spill the beans if we were trying to avoid the taxes.

Nothing out of the ordinary from any other title transfer I've done.

Only other hoops were from it coming from out of state.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
When my Mom was no longer able to drive she gifted her car to me. No issue. She had IN title, I live in OH.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, cool. I was thinking of just putting $0 on the title. I tried calling the title bureau but all I got was a recording with their hours and no options to speak with someone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Update: I said to hell with it and called a bunch of different bureaus within the state and got a hold of a person. She said, just put $0 as the purchase price and we'd be gtg.

So there you have it.

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me, my license expired last month. Wonder when I should attempt to get in a BMV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just write a bill of sale saying that the vehicle was gifted. YOU may end up owing the IRS depending on the value of the vehicle (I think the annual exclusion is $15,000).

View Quote

you wouldn't have to pay taxes on the gift next year.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Reminds me, my license expired last month. Wonder when I should attempt to get in a BMV.
View Quote

According to the website, they reopened on the 26th. They were encouraging people not to rush down though. I believe you have at least until December 1st to get it renewed, or maybe longer.

ETA: If you're going to get the new Big Brother compliant DL, use the checklist posted online to make sure you have the required papers. I had to make a second trip.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

According to the website, they reopened on the 26th. They were encouraging people not to rush down though. I believe you have at least until December 1st to get it renewed, or maybe longer.

ETA: If you're going to get the new Big Brother compliant DL, use the checklist posted online to make sure you have the required papers. I had to make a second trip.
View Quote

It said or 90 after the Emergency order was lifted. So I guess I have at least that long.
I was going to get the Tier 1 version but probably skip it during this mess. I can't imagine how backed up they will be now.

They are not doing driving test, a lot of pissed off 16yo want their license and have been stuck at home for months.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. She doesn't have the same last name as me, unfortunately. I kinda thought that putting $100 down on the title would be more suspicious than putting "gift" or $0.
View Quote

I got a call from the state once for an out of state car I bought cheap. The seller did too. Our numbers matched and that was all I ever heard of it

Bought probably 100 cars and that was the only one
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
My Girlfriend bought a 91 Cougar from a private seller. We put 100.00 on the tittle. The BMV sent a letter stating the Blue book was more and wanted proof of the purchase price.  We sent them Pics and the original owner said that was what it was worth and what she sold it for. PITA had to contact the original owner and have her right a letter. Luckily she was a legal secretary and wrote a letter to take care of the problem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Van from dad (FL title) to me (OH) was signed by him and $1 sale price on the line

Lady at BMV didnt flinch,, dont remember paying tax on the $1
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I have gifted cars to needy people at church twice, just write $1 for the selling price on the title.  One of the recipients insisted I take a $1 from him to be honest.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top