User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2021 1:14:54 PM EDT
Just got the email.  A very sad day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just got the email.  A very sad day.
View Quote

Damn.  That is bad news.  That track has been the host of a lot of big events over the years.  And it will displace a lot of regular racers.

The other unfortunate thing is it will undoubtedly increase even more street racing activiites.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Sad News! ...

Those were some fun days & nights watching (& Feeling that fuel burned to Raw Horsepower... )
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish they would say why they are closing down. Just no one else to take over? City/county pressure, noise, developers?

It is another track like Fremont Drag Strip or Lions where you could turn some incredible times because of the air being a sea level.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wish they would say why they are closing down. Just no one else to take over? City/county pressure, noise, developers?

It is another track like Fremont Drag Strip or Lions where you could turn some incredible times because of the air being a sea level.
View Quote

Lots of records were set there because of the dense air.

From what I've found googling it the speculation is developers.  500 acres in Baytown...  Figure what that is worth divided into house sized plots, apartment complexes and retail complexes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, really sad. I have not been there in a number of years, but during the first few years I was there alot. Saw Dan Pastorini run his top fuel dragster when they opened the place up.  Even made a few passes down the track on Wednesday nights back in he day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That's really sad to hear.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My Wife made her fastest pass there. 8.22 @166. Good times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top