Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2022 6:35:35 PM EDT
I am taking a short trip to Houston for some business at the end of the month. I am hoping to make it there and back in one day but not sure yet based upon timing of the flights and the meeting. It may turn into an overnight visit. I have never been to Houston before.

I am going to the area of Tomball which looks to be northwest of the city. Looks like George Bush airport is the closest to where I am going. How is this airport? I will be getting a rental car. How easy/quick is the rental car checkout/return process at Bush? Will be travelling rather light there so not worried about picking up luggage. Will need time to deal with ticket agent coming back.

Trying to figure out timing.

Any feedback that would be helpful. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Iah bush airport is best..hobby is much further south and the drive though Houston sucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Tomball used to be pretty infamous for car smash and grab breakins.  Keep everything in the trunk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Texas has Constitutional Carry, so you can legally carry concealed on your visit.

You would check your gun in with your luggage at the counter with your airline.

Have a great visit & safe travels.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
There are multiple shuttle busses from each terminal to the rental car center and back. Depending on your terminal, it is no more than a 5 minute ride each way. Signage at the terminal exit points out where to catch the rental car shuttle, it is relatively straight forward.

For the actual car rental, get off of the shuttle and take the escalator down stairs where all of the counters are located. Pick up keys, go outside, take the escalator back up and drive away. I use National’s loyalty program, reserve ahead of time and then walk straight from the shuttle to the car; no need to check in at the rental car counter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feed back. Bush sounds like it will be the airport then. Note to self, don’t stay where I’m going if I have to overnight it.

Sounds like the rental car deal is pretty simple. There are airports I’ve been to that their rental car setup is just a mess.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Be advised there is significant construction at Bush right now, so give yourself plenty of time on your return flight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Tomball is pretty safe. The danger zone will be when you leave the airport over to I45. Not sure its an option but if you can get a toll tag in your rental car it will make life easy. Go west out of IAH, get on the Hardy Toll Road going north, exit onto the Loop 99 toll road heading west and that will take you right over to Tomball. If you're going to Baker Hughes take 2920, other Tomball stuff you can go to 249 and north.
If you don't take the toll roads then all the way over to I45 is sketchy, and then north from 610 up to Loetta is daytime okayish, further north the better. Night time, head on a swivel.

The other mild danger zone is south of 99. Again daytime probably 100% ok, night time mostly be alert. North of 99 is mostly suburbia, a surprising amount of pasture, and some nicer areas. Parts of what I consider the west side of The Woodlands is actually Tomball.

Tejas BBQ in Tomball is very good. I prefer Corkscrew in Spring, which is right off the Hardy. Tejas also owns a burger place on Main Street in Tomball. Never been. Mels in Tomball also has really good burgers more of an old timey place.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tomball is pretty safe. The danger zone will be when you leave the airport over to I45. Not sure its an option but if you can get a toll tag in your rental car it will make life easy. Go west out of IAH, get on the Hardy Toll Road going north, exit onto the Loop 99 toll road heading west and that will take you right over to Tomball. If you're going to Baker Hughes take 2920, other Tomball stuff you can go to 249 and north.
If you don't take the toll roads then all the way over to I45 is sketchy, and then north from 610 up to Loetta is daytime okayish, further north the better. Night time, head on a swivel.

The other mild danger zone is south of 99. Again daytime probably 100% ok, night time mostly be alert. North of 99 is mostly suburbia, a surprising amount of pasture, and some nicer areas. Parts of what I consider the west side of The Woodlands is actually Tomball.

Tejas BBQ in Tomball is very good. I prefer Corkscrew in Spring, which is right off the Hardy. Tejas also owns a burger place on Main Street in Tomball. Never been. Mels in Tomball also has really good burgers more of an old timey place.

View Quote

Agreed; avoid Hobby. It's at the far opposite side of the map from Tomball, and you will have hell driving through the length of Houston city. Hobby usually has cheaper fares, and folks unfamiliar with the territory are inclined to book with Hobby because of the low price feature. I make it a point to tell family planning on visiting me "Please take IAH and avoid Hobby. If you book through Hobby I will let you catch the 90 minute $125 taxi ride each way to & fro my house." That usually catches their attention. lol

Tomball is a decent suburb and pretty much North of Houston Metro areas. There is no particular crime problem there. Of course crime can happen in any suburb just outside a city of 4 million people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top