Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2021 2:39:00 PM EDT
I have a house that is 1,660sqft that needs to be jacked up and leveled.  Built in 1900, the floors are sagging and some of the doors won't shut.

Underneath is damn near pristine, no water damage, nothing wrong with it.  House is stable and sitting well.  It's just not level and causing some minor issues.

I want to remodel the bathroom, but if I do it now, I run the risk of screwing the tile up if/when the house shifts again and or gets leveled.

I got a quote today that made me think wtf?  I know it's an expensive job, but I didn't expect to get slapped with 10k.  

Contemplating just leaving it as is now.  Barely noticeable, just some door issues that can be fixed other ways.

Doesn't that seem like a bit much for a smaller 1,660 sqft house?  It's on blocks/beams.

Was expecting somewhere around 3~4k.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
We have someone coming in a couple weeks to look into putting the foam under the house to combat the settling, no clue how much it will be, but I have about the same sq ft as you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Block and beams? I would do it myself. Jacks to level and repair the foundation as you go.

Or, wait until the economy slows and get it done for half price.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Jacking a house is very labor intensive, tons of hand work goes into this. Plus the equipment used to confirm the house is level. The overhead, vehicles, etc... All those factors need to be kept in mind. You can't just think about it as it's just some leveling, can't be that much involved". Also the engineering involved, most likely permits.

If you did the work yourself and it shows up on a inspection when selling your home. You will have to rectify it to the building departments requirements or you won't sell the house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
So we just got our quote, $27k to put steel helical piles under the house. The worst corner is $13k, the other 2 spots aren’t so bad.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jacking a house is very labor intensive, tons of hand work goes into this. Plus the equipment used to confirm the house is level. The overhead, vehicles, etc... All those factors need to be kept in mind. You can't just think about it as it's just some leveling, can't be that much involved". Also the engineering involved, most likely permits.

If you did the work yourself and it shows up on a inspection when selling your home. You will have to rectify it to the building departments requirements or you won't sell the house.
View Quote

You sound like a sales guy for a leveling company.

People all over the world have been leveling houses for thousands of years. I have lived in multiple houses with jacks underneath. While I agree that there is a professional way to do it and there’s a homeowner way to do it, It is extremely acceptable and common for homeowners to put in a few jacks to shore up a few sinking areas.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag:  bet mine will be the highest quote..  

Mine needs to be elevated six feet minimum..

I'll let you know..
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
10K sounds like you’re getting off cheap for foundation issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top