Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 12:43:46 AM EDT
I'm going to be over for the Hamfest in a few weeks and and curious what the locals would recommend for a cheap, plain, but clean place to spend Fri/Sat night. The event is in Huntsville, but I'll likely be visiting a buddy in Decatur while I'm there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s a few newer hotels just off 565 at the wall triana exit… probably your best bet in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - I'll look for those.
The ones near the center seem to be $200+ a night.... :-/
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang  - the hotel attached to Von Braun is $300 - a night.

Based on reviews, it's looking like the best combination of Not Stupidly Expensive and Bedbugs Unlikely is going to be the Best Western on 72. I could probably spring for something a little nicer, but every dollar I spend on sleep & free wifi is a dollar less for the event. :-)
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang  - the hotel attached to Von Braun is $300 - a night.

Based on reviews, it's looking like the best combination of Not Stupidly Expensive and Bedbugs Unlikely is going to be the Best Western on 72. I could probably spring for something a little nicer, but every dollar I spend on sleep & free wifi is a dollar less for the event. :-)
View Quote

I don’t know anything about prices, but that one shouldn’t be too bad.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget to go to Larry's Madison.  It's at the Greenbriar exit (big rusty water tower) not far from the Harley dealer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't forget to go to Larry's Madison.  It's at the Greenbriar exit (big rusty water tower) not far from the Harley dealer.
View Quote
Is that a Restaraunt, Park or Strip Club?

Edit
Ahh... a Toy Shoppe.
https://www.pistolandpawn.com/

Does the Madison location have anything over the one right in Huntsville?

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Edit
Ahh... a Toy Shoppe.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit
Ahh... a Toy Shoppe.

Bigger and not in the ghetto.  Downside is that one of our members here works at the Hsv location.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bigger and not in the ghetto.  Downside is that one of our members here works at the Hsv location.
View Quote

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
No idea on the price but there is a Home 2 Suites near Cabelas in HSV.  Stayed at one a few years ago in ND and it was reasonably priced and pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
A detail I'm having a hard time locating - is the "free breakfast" cereal and a box of warm milk or a proper breakfast buffet?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A detail I'm having a hard time locating - is the "free breakfast" cereal and a box of warm milk or a proper breakfast buffet?
View Quote
Just looked, you aren't getting anything outside the hourly rate University Dr "motels" for less than $130 a night.  Joe did that.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
It's amusing... in the more expensive listings, a "2" review is the manager needing customer service training or checkout time was mis-quoted. In the cheaper places, a "2" is drug deals in the parking lot, screaming babies, bugs and moldy carpet.

I have found possibilities via, of all things, the Delta site - Is anyone familiar with these?
- VIP Inn and Suites on S Memorial - $75/night. It's 6 miles from Von Braun so I'm almost guaranteed to find a Waffle House on the way if the hotel breakfast is bad.
- Best Western Plus Madison - $103/night. 10 miles out, mixed 'OK' reviews, looks like a proper breakfast buffet.
- Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham - $105/night. Half an hour out, but nice reviews.
- Hilton Garden Inn Madison/Airport - $110/night. 10 miles out, reviews claim its new-ish, looks like the pics show a proper breakfast buffet...

Weird... I found one listed as a home for rent... says $79 a night, cost for 2 nights $349.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You don't want to stay anywhere in Huntsville that's $75/night unless you want drugs or hookers or drugged out hookers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You don't want to stay anywhere in Huntsville that's $75/night unless you want drugs or hookers or drugged out hookers.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure the one I stayed at last time was on University, and I understand your warning. I may be frugal, but I'm not that cheap.
(yep - pretty sure it was the EconoLodge off 72 near Athens U.)
The reviews make this one sound like an anomaly for the price. Everything else even close was NOGO'd by the reviews.
It's 6 miles South on 231, while the ones I've been warned against on University are West.
https://www.hotels-delta.com/ho488674/

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the one I stayed at last time was on University, and I understand your warning. I may be frugal, but I'm not that cheap.
(yep - pretty sure it was the EconoLodge off 72 near Athens U.)
The reviews make this one sound like an anomaly for the price. Everything else even close was NOGO'd by the reviews.
It's 6 miles South on 231, while the ones I've been warned against on University are West.
https://www.hotels-delta.com/ho488674/

View Quote
$75 a night, If you can find it is no issue.  As long as it isn't in HSV or Madison.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$75 a night, If you can find it is no issue.  As long as it isn't in HSV or Madison.
View Quote
The address is 10013 S Memorial Pkwy, Huntsville - - intersection with Weatherly Rd
It's down near Lowes, Home Depot and Sams

Damn. It's listed as a Smoking room. I didn't think those still existed. $10 more for a nonsmoking.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huntsville Larry’s has better prices and a wider variety of used guns.  

New gun selection is similar and either one may be better on any given week.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huntsville Larry's has better prices and a wider variety of used guns.  

New gun selection is similar and either one may be better on any given week.  
View Quote
And the tax rate at the HSV location is 1.5% less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top