Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2021 9:11:32 PM EDT
My girlfriend and I will be traveling east in a few weeks.  She has a job interview with a law firm in DC.  Looks like Alexandria Arlington is very convenient.  Can anybody recommend (or recommend to avoid) specific hotels or parts of town?  Not counting FL, I haven't been east of OH in about 30 years.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about specific hotels but the Arlington area is an option also.  Depending on her interview time, I would be more concerned with traffic. Maybe start checking drive times as it relates to interview time and use that to help decide. Or leave the pistol behind (if that's the concern) and just stay in DC. Embrace the elite and BLM. Might be a good dry run of what to expect on a day to day basis with the new job. She might decide otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the North Arlington area (Rosslyn, Courthouse, Ballston) over the Pentagon City area, but it also depends where in DC you need to get and how.

Traffic has pretty much returned to normal despite the fact that a huge chunk of workers are still working from home. Restaurants are also crowded again. When you come you will have a reasonable understanding of living and working in the area?

Can you say what law firm?  My wife is an attorney in the area and I consult to a few firms (not a lawyer).

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
@rumsonv2
@shooter220

Oof.  I meant Alexandria and was tired.

I’ve heard that CCW is an issue in DC.  Am I okay if I put my sidearm into a locked hard side case when we’re in DC proper?  Is BLM a real problem in DC?

Thank you!  I’ll check into those areas.  Can’t say what firm at this time, but I will if she accepts the job.  Just checked into real estate in the area.  Good Lord…..  
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
DO NOT TAKE YOUR GUN INTO DC. Do not take mags, empty rounds, loaded rounds, etc into DC.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
People have gone to jail for a single spent cartridge in the car

It's bad.

They might still have National Guard in DC as well. Perhaps additional road blocks and check points. I haven't been paying attention to it lately to know.

Welcome to the Imperial City.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People have gone to jail for a single spent cartridge in the car

It's bad.

They might still have National Guard in DC as well. Perhaps additional road blocks and check points. I haven't been paying attention to it lately to know.

Welcome to the Imperial City.
View Quote

Holy shit.    So this is like crossing into Mexico.

Guess I’m going to have to completely toss my car.  THANK YOU for the heads-up!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guess I’m going to have to completely toss my car.  THANK YOU for the heads-up!
View Quote

Not really, if you were crossing into Mexico you could bribe the officer and continue on your way Going into D.C. is much worse. I avoid D.C. at all costs. Between the gun laws and the pot holes big enough to swallow a car, it is not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really, if you were crossing into Mexico you could bribe the officer and continue on your way Going into D.C. is much worse. I avoid D.C. at all costs. Between the gun laws and the pot holes big enough to swallow a car, it is not worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I'm going to have to completely toss my car.  THANK YOU for the heads-up!

Don't forget the red light cameras too. I was taking my kids to BWI at 5am in the morning a while back and my GPS put me on some surface streets for a bit, a couple weeks later I had a nice $100 ticket in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't forget the red light cameras too. I was taking my kids to BWI at 5am in the morning a while back and my GPS put me on some surface streets for a bit, a couple weeks later I had a nice $100 ticket in the mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I'm going to have to completely toss my car.  THANK YOU for the heads-up!

I have not been in D.C. for years. Best of luck to the OP.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
DC just slapped up a mask mandate.  In-person interview cancelled; they're doing Zoom instead.

I'm part disappointed and part relieved.

Thank you for the help and assistance, everyone!
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DC just slapped up a mask mandate.  In-person interview cancelled; they're doing Zoom instead.

I'm part disappointed and part relieved.

Thank you for the help and assistance, everyone!
View Quote

Trust me, your car thanks you for not taking it into D.C.
Good luck to your wife.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Trust me, your car thanks you for not taking it into D.C.
Good luck to your wife.
View Quote

Theft, break-ins, reckless drivers, vandalism..?

Looks like DC has non-res CCW if you get their permit.  Ack, 16 hours of training…..  
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks like DC has non-res CCW if you get their permit.  Ack, 16 hours of training…..  
View Quote

Not sure about the crime but, the roads are horrible. Last time I was there I hit a pothole that was unavoidable and I thought it blew my tire. The roads badly need to be resurfaced.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never expected that. I need to look it up..
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does not look all that great, MPDC Carry Permit Info

You no longer have to provide a "good reason" for the permit but, this is a list from the above link of places you can not carry. If I am reading it right you can carry from home to work and work to home as long as work is not restricted. You can not carry in any federal buildings, memorials, restaurants or on mass transit. What is left?

1.Shall not carry a pistol while consuming alcohol or while impaired.

2.A building or office occupied by the District of Columbia or its agencies.

3.The building and grounds, including any adjacent parking lot of a childcare facility, preschool, elementary or secondary school, or a public or private college or university.

4.A hospital or an office where medical or mental health services are the primary services provided.

5.A penal institution, secure juvenile residential facility, or halfway house.

6.A polling place while voting is occurring.

7.A public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system and its stations.

8.Any premises where alcohol is served, sold and consumed on the premises (pursuant to license issued under Title 25 of D.C. Code)

9.Stadium or Arena

10.Public Gathering or special event open to the public when the organizer has provided notice and posted signage prohibiting the carrying of pistols in advance of the gathering or special event.

11.The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency, including the U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds.

12.The area around the White House ( between Constitution Ave. and H St. and between 15th St. and 17th St. NW)

13.The U.S. Naval Observatory and its grounds (from the perimeter of its fence to the curb of Massachusetts Ave. NW from 34th St. south on Massachusetts Ave to Observatory Circle NW)

14.When a dignitary or high-ranking official of the United States or a state, local, or foreign government is moving under the protection of the MPD, the U.S Secret Service, the U.S Capitol Police, or other law enforcement agency that does not include a distance greater than 1,000 feet from the moving dignitary. ( provided notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)

15.A Demonstration in a public place (within a perimeter of 1,000 feet designated by a law enforcement agency, and notice has been given by signs or an officer’s order)

16.On private residential property unless authorized by the property owner.

17.A place of religious worship unless authorized by the owner or authorized agent.

18.Non-residential property that is posted with conspicuous signage prohibiting the carrying of a concealed pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top