Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2021 12:34:14 PM EDT
Thought I'd throw this up in the Alabama Hometown forum.

I do an annual guys trip to the CMP Range and we usually get an AirBnB on the Coosa River that we split among 5-6 guys which comes out pretty cheap and makes for a good little vacation.

Well the wife and kid are heading out of town for a long trip with my in-laws, so I'm considering a solo trip to Talladega and I'm looking for lodging options that won't have me renting a whole house by myself.

I'll be bringing a few long cases so I'm not exactly excited about dragging them through a hotel lobby.

Any obvious choices (or places to steer clear of) that are within 20-30 minutes of the CMP Range?  Ideally with a layout that would allow me to be discrete with my luggage?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t stay in Talladega or Lincoln. Talladega is kinda rough. I’m sure Lincoln is ok, you have a Comfort and Days Inns and then a few old motels.

Look at Pell City, there are several hotels right off of the interstate. They all have well lit parking lots and you have several different restaurants to choose from right there at the hotels.

If you’re planning on shooting on a Saturday, let us know. I’m sure there will be some members that would like to go shoot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I would look at Oxford. Lots of hotels and places to eat.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Like HeyCoach I live in the area, less than 30 minutes from CMP.   A couple of things to consider...you already know having done the airbnb thing in the area...

Coosa River = Lake Logan Martin, it is a power company lake that is heavily built up on the shoreline with thousands of homes ranging from modest to mega mansions.  But they drop the lake level by 10' or more during the winter and most of the shoreline is deciduous trees, meaning from November until late March it is one bleak gloomy place.  Most of those lake homes are not permanent residents and most don't hang out there during the winter months.  Spring through fall is a different thing.

I believe you could shop around and get an airbnb deal that is far better than any of the hotels.  That will give you a lot of privacy, and a lot of space.  As with all airbnb things you have to research the host, location, comments from guests who stayed during that time frame, etc.  But it could easily be far less than the cost of the hotels.  You know this from having done the airbnb before but I would pick it as my top choice, even as a solo traveler, for staying near CMP from November through March.

You don't want to go to Talladega proper at all.  The hotels on the interstate at the Lincoln and Talladega exits include most of the big chains, but they were all built to serve the racetrack and can be somewhat fleabagish the rest of the year and will usually have low occupancy and the cleaning staff may be limited, etc.   All those characteristics of what a hotel is like during an area's "off season".

The major hotel chains in Pell City or Oxford/Anniston are safe bets, all along the interstate exits.   From a staff point of view, dragging a dozen rifle cases into the room is not going to get you a second look in this area.  Happens every day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I would look at Oxford. Lots of hotels and places to eat.
View Quote

Agreed. That’s another location to look at. There are several Hampton/Hilton types clustered just off the interstate.

Maybe another member can say if there’s any good non-chain restaurants in Oxford. If there are, I’ve not found them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s not the most uppity area lol

If you just want a cheap place where you can sleep a night,  back up to the room door and probably not get murdered..  the McCaig on stemly bridge exit..  it shares a parking lot with a huddle house and a little bar with decent wings.  I’ve stayed there probably 15times no issues and it’s absurdly cheap.  If you want anything nice I’d just go to Oxford... more restaurants more shopping etc..
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Talladega Creekside Resort

Great people and very CMP friendly

2 person cabin, $85/night
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’d let him be isolated and be able to take his rifle cases in with few seeing him.

It’s also like summer camp cabins.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to suggest just hitting one of the hotels in Pell City (I live here), But Talladega Creekside Resort does have those little cabins. I've never stayed there, but I use their kayak shuttle service at least three times a year for fishing. The lady that runs it is good people and I don't think she tolerates riff raff.  Bring a fishing pole. The place is on the bank of Cheaha creek. Alabama spotted bass, Red-eye bass and Rock bass are to be had. Also really close to the CMP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed. That’s another location to look at. There are several Hampton/Hilton types clustered just off the interstate.

Maybe another member can say if there’s any good non-chain restaurants in Oxford. If there are, I’ve not found them.
View Quote

Classic on Noble still open?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure. We don’t go over there much.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The lodge at Mt. Cheaha ain't bad.   A hop, skip and a jump away from an awesome view of Alabama from Bald Rock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top