Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 9:12:04 PM EDT
So my Sister and Brother in Law have to take his 96 y/o mother to St. Anthony's ER due to irregular heartbeat today.
They took her away after removing her very necessary hearing aid, had him fill out the forms then said go away.
Told them go wait in the lot we'll call you.
They then noticed many people camped out in their cars.
They got some lunch and came by my work to eat, filled me in.
Then they left, Sister got a call, said they were admitting her for observation, go home.
Don't come back, can't go upstairs, can't see her, buh bye.
96 y/o lady without her hearing aid in a strange place probably wondering where's my Son.

It's a damn good thing my Mother died a year ago because security would have to be called.
And the nurses liked me being there, said it was less work for them.

They can't let her Son spend the night in her room?
If they're going to infect each other it's already happened.

They probably have talked on the phone by now, I hope so, but....
There's GOT to be a better way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah it sucks.  All the hospitals have locked down family and visitors.  I think it's a little overkill but I get why they do it.  Many of the patients in there are at risk and visitors carrying covid could be deadly to them.  You could suit and boot visitors but the staff doesn't even have the PPE they need to work so there's not enough to equip visitors and family.  They (the staff) have to use the same masks for the entire 12 hour shift because the hospital doesn't have enough to use them and throw them away after each use as they are supposed to.  I'm speaking of St. Anthony specifically as I know one of the nurses there.

It's heartbreaking to see what family members have to deal with currently when loved ones are hospitalized.  I saw where some hospitals have installed two way camera setups so patients and families can still interact with each other.  It beats the hell out of not being able to see each other at all.  Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Hope your brother in law's mom gets better!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
the biosecurity measures taken my Hospitals are primarily due to the massive patient load of elderly who will end up in long term recovery care or skilled nursing centers.

if Covid gets transmitted into those environments, its a blood bath.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So my Sister and Brother in Law have to take his 96 y/o mother to St. Anthony's ER due to irregular heartbeat today.
They took her away after removing her very necessary hearing aid, had him fill out the forms then said go away.
Told them go wait in the lot we'll call you.
They then noticed many people camped out in their cars.
They got some lunch and came by my work to eat, filled me in.
Then they left, Sister got a call, said they were admitting her for observation, go home.
Don't come back, can't go upstairs, can't see her, buh bye.
96 y/o lady without her hearing aid in a strange place probably wondering where's my Son.

It's a damn good thing my Mother died a year ago because security would have to be called.
And the nurses liked me being there, said it was less work for them.

They can't let her Son spend the night in her room?
If they're going to infect each other it's already happened.

They probably have talked on the phone by now, I hope so, but....
There's GOT to be a better way.
View Quote

I'm beginning to think it's all about voting Trump out! Sorry that this is happening to good people. I read another post on a different forum same thing go wait in the parking lot!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
They need to make it well know to the hospital staff she has an advocate.

Call several times tonight, get the room phone number. Demand the she be given her hearing aid, etc.

I had to do that when my wife was in Mercy about a month ago. The supervising nurse on her floor and I became well acquainted and she knew that if something wasn't right I would be calling.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
She's back home now, The hell of it is she spent the last 6 weeks hiding in her house for nothing.  The did I get exposed clock just got  reset.

And Wingman, nothing compares to Miami,Ok's. Blitz, makers of those very popular red gas cans.
After a series of lawsuits that insurance had to pay on the rates got so high that Blitz couldn't pay them forcing them to close the doors.
The last suit? The straw that broke the camel?
In their quest for the cure for cancer, or fusion energy someone poured gas fom a Blitz can onto a open fire.
Judge said it was the can's fault.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's back home now, The hell of it is she spent the last 6 weeks hiding in her house for nothing.  The did I get exposed clock just got  reset.

And Wingman, nothing compares to Miami,Ok's. Blitz, makers of those very popular red gas cans.
After a series of lawsuits that insurance had to pay on the rates got so high that Blitz couldn't pay them forcing them to close the doors.
In their quest for the cure for cancer, or fusion energy someone poured gas fom a Blitz can onto a open fire.

View Quote

I'm glad she's home. Let her know that complete strangers to her were hoping she had a positive outcome from the hospital stay.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Blitz made the best plastic fuel cans, funnels, and drain pans.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
My uncle had open heart surgery with bypass about a month ago and same story for him.  His wife was beyond mad she couldn’t be there with him.  I get it and I understand why they are doing it but it still sucks.  Oddly enough one of the guys I grew up around his father was in the same boat as my uncle and had the same surgery the day after my uncle in the same Hospital.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top